Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Evgenia Bednova, woman paid $1 million by Clive P (Read 5654 times)
Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Evgenia Bednova, woman paid $1 million by Clive P
Feb 27th, 2017 at 2:42pm

What is the go here Clive?

Meet Evgenia Bednova, the woman paid $1 million by Clive Palmer’s Queensland Nickel

Photo:
http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/4fcc8aadc9af4281096cb3c6ee8fb582

THE first most Australians would have heard of Evgenia Bednova was when her name was mentioned in the Federal Court as someone who was paid a staggering $1 million by Queensland Nickel.

The huge money was paid to Ms Bednova to investigate mining opportunities by the company in Kyrgyzstan.

The 36-year-old came to prominence in Australia courtesy of Clive Palmer, who is being questioned about her in the Federal Court. The involvement of the former federal MP and businessman in the collapse of Queensland Nickel is being probed by liquidators.

The failure of the company cost 850 people their jobs in Townsville.

Mr Palmer told the court he couldn’t recall exactly what each of his thousands of employees did when he was asked specific questions about Ms Bednova. However, he did say she had experience in trade-related matters and was the company representative in Kyrgyzstan.

His involvement with her was “only business”, the court heard. Outside the hearing, he told media the $1 million “wasn’t for her (personally), it was to run the office over there, and to represent and look for mineral opportunities”.

The money paid to her was a massive increase to the annual average wage in Bishkek. And it appears she travelled to Singapore on a private jet chartered by another of Mr Palmer’s companies — at a cost of $250,000 — to meet with him.

Mr Palmer directed his lawyer to object when barrister Walter Sofronoff QC, for liquidators FTI Consulting, began to quiz him about his relationship with a woman named Evgenia Bednova, how often he’d met her, and where.

Mr Sofronoff wanted to know why Mr Palmer’s company Mineralogy had paid a quarter of a million dollars to fly her privately from her homeland to Singapore in 2011, where Mr Palmer was attending a Forbes business conference.

“Do you recall chartering a jet to fly to Kyrgyzstan and pick here up and fly her to Singapore?” Mr Sofronoff asked.

“I don’t know, it would have been done by our staff,” Mr Palmer told him.

“Do you recall the jet arriving in Singapore and you meeting her at the airport?’ the barrister asked.

“I don’t recall, no,” Mr Palmer said, reported AAP.

“Do you recall she was the only passenger on that jet?” Mr Sofronoff continued, reminding Mr Palmer that this was a woman he’d “paid $1 million to”.

So who is she?

The Australian visited Ms Bednova in the Kyrgyzstan city of Bishtek and found her living a luxurious life in a double block worth $260,000 and a regular visitor of a sports centre frequented by Bishkek’s rich residents.

But since her name was mentioned in court, it seems Ms Bednova has done her best to stay anonymous.

She told her Facebook friends she was going to remove all her photographs online and then began deleting social media accounts.

She told The Australian she did not want to discuss her Queensland Nickel work.

“I do not have to talk to you,” she said, and then threatened to call the police.

Neighbours told the newspaper the family kept to themselves — to such an extent it was as if they were “invisible”.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/mining/meet-evgenia-bednova-the-woman-pa...
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2017 at 3:04pm by Redmond Neck »  

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Evgenia Bednova, woman paid $1 million by Clive P
Reply #1 - Mar 23rd, 2017 at 8:51am

[urlhttp://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/investigations/clive-palmer/not-just-a-nickel-or-a-dime-a-43m-pay-day-for-clive-palmer/news-story/933cbaf4e6011267764c998ef9e2cf41][/url]

live Palmer started whisking huge sums of cash from the coffers of Queensland Nickel one day in late November, 2012.

By the end of that day, Thursday, November 29, a total of $42,689,601 had been siphoned off. It was the biggest outflow of cash in one day in the nickel refinery’s torrid history.

In its damning report, the administrators of Queensland Nickel list where the sums of money went.

One account, SCI Le Coeur de L Ocean, which Palmer’s parliamentary register lists as being in French Polynesia and belonging to his wife, Anna Palmer, received a deposit of $US15 million.

Anna’s father, Alexandar Sokolov, suddenly found himself $US8m richer, at least on paper. Another chunk of $US15m went into Palmer’s personal accounts. A person called Zhenghong Zang received $4m, then a $500,000 top-up. Bednova Evgenia, believed to be one of Anna Palmer’s Bulgarian-born relatives, received $959,728.

The motives for the handful of massive withdrawals in one day have been a mystery.

The Australian can reveal, however, that Palmer was in a panic and highly agitated when he instructed the transfers on November 29, 2012.

A confidante recalled him being “absolutely paranoid — more so than usual” around this time because of something he believed he had discovered.

But what was it? Palmer believed that the Queensland government, led by then premier Campbell Newman, was secretly planning to imprison him and imminently confiscate his assets.

As Palmer has also described ASIO tapping his telephones, and the CIA sponsoring the Greens in Queensland, his theory was out there.

But as is his habit, Palmer went straight onto the offensive at an impromptu media conference to reveal to agog journalists on the morning of November 29, 2012, that he had discovered — through supposedly highly placed sources — of the dastardly plot to strip him of his wealth and throw him in the slammer.

“Around about three weeks ago we got evidence put to us, that I didn’t believe to be true, that people within the government and senior figures within the public service were conspiring to put me in jail, and to confiscate all the assets I have,” he told journalists, including The Australian’s Andrew Fraser, that day.

“I naturally enough at the time didn’t put any credence on this matter.

“However over the last two to three weeks substantial evidence has been put forward, and I am satisfied beyond a reasonable doubt that there is no doubt this is true.

“I can say some of the logic was that ‘it’s important that you shut Clive up, that he’s not a member of parliament, he doesn’t have commercial interests in Queensland ... and we’ve got to do something to make sure that he’s not a political problem so that we can go forward with our agenda’.

“These are matters of the greatest concern for me and my family and my children.

“It’s also the greatest concern for members of the public, because if they can seek to do this to me, what can they do to you, your children, to the people that live here?”

Along with the November 29 transfers to Palmer and other individuals, three of Palmer’s companies — Mineralogy, Waratah Coal and Cold Mountain Stud — also received $550,000, $200,000 and $50,000 respectively.

“On 29 November, 2012, Mr Palmer instructed QN to transfer a total of $43m to a number of related entities,’’ John Park, of administrators FTI Consulting, reported yesterday in a document that exposes serious alleged offences.

Three-and-a-half years later, the irony is that Palmer’s asset-stripping on that strange November morning is likely to result in him being pursued by liquidators for the funds he took then, and subsequently.

This pending pursuit could see him prosecuted for serious alleged offences, which are outlined in the comprehensive and hard-hitting report by FTI Consulting.

Palmer’s fears were baseless in November 2012.

The government at the time was trying to manage his public outbursts as Liberal National Party backbenchers including Alex Douglas and Carl Judge prepared to abandon Newman and join up with Palmer.

But by the time the curtain comes down on this remarkable Queensland circus, Palmer may turn out to have been prophetic about his fate in a way he did not foresee.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print