Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Muslims are honest and trustworthy

Thank you for voting in this poll.
(The results however will remain hidden until all the votes have been counted.)

Total votes: 3
« Created by: Frank on: Jan 10th, 2019 at 9:36pm »

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 36
Send Topic Print
Islam greatest threat to freedom and democracy (Read 37497 times)
Captain Nemo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Islam greatest threat to freedom and democracy
Reply #390 - Dec 12th, 2018 at 10:56pm

The 2025 election could be a shocker.
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #391 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 8:16am

freediver wrote on Dec 12th, 2018 at 7:09pm:
Does Islam mean submission Gandalf?

'Islam' is a noun derived from the verbal root S-L-M, (سلم) I'm not entirely clear on the exact meaning of the root, but from the root we get a range of words like salaam (peace), Istsalaam (surrender) and other forms of words related to both peace and submission.

Given this seemingly dual role of this word, it occurs to me that in Islam, and in some respects the arabic language as well, 'peace' and 'submission' essentially have the same meaning. It makes sense to me, when you submit, especially in a religious sense, it is more about being 'at peace' with yourself when you embrace faith.

This obviously means re-framing our western understanding of 'submission' from a coercive concept to a concept that is entirely about free will. Its been said of Islam that 'submission' to faith and to God, is the ultimate freedom. Food for thought?

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #392 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 12:24pm

Quote:
Given this seemingly dual role of this word, it occurs to me that in Islam, and in some respects the arabic language as well, 'peace' and 'submission' essentially have the same meaning. It makes sense to me, when you submit, especially in a religious sense, it is more about being 'at peace' with yourself when you embrace faith.

I also get the impression that what Muslims say peace, they really mean submission.

Quote:
This obviously means re-framing our western understanding of 'submission' from a coercive concept to a concept that is entirely about free will. Its been said of Islam that 'submission' to faith and to God, is the ultimate freedom. Food for thought?

Muhammad (tgp) liked to give people a choice between converting or dying.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #393 - Dec 13th, 2018 at 2:52pm

freediver wrote on Dec 13th, 2018 at 12:24pm:

/The truth is from your Lord, so whoever wills - let him believe; and whoever wills - let him disbelieve - 18.29

there is no compulsion in religion - 2:256

And with the truth We have sent the Qur'an down, and with the truth it has descended. And We have not sent you, [O Muhammad], except as a bringer of good tidings and a warner. - 17:105

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Cu Chulainn
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #394 - Dec 14th, 2018 at 12:05am

polite_gandalf wrote on Dec 13th, 2018 at 2:52pm:

/The truth is from your Lord, so whoever wills - let him believe; and whoever wills - let him disbelieve - 18.29

And with the truth We have sent the Qur'an down, and with the truth it has descended. And We have not sent you, [O Muhammad], except as a bringer of good tidings and a warner. - 17:105

And the world has enjoyed his "good tidings" ever since.

Does it go something like this?

We wish you a merry Christmas,
We wish you a merry Christmas,
We wish you a merry Christmas
And a happy New Year.
Good tidings we bring
To you and your kin;
We wish you a merry Christmas
And a happy New Year!

BooM!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #395 - Dec 14th, 2018 at 12:24pm

Abu actually claimed once that it is not compulsion if you are given the option of dying instead of converting.

Gandalf, how do you explain Muhammad threatening the Jews of Medina with convert or die as soon as he was in a position to make the threat, after his first military victory against the Meccan traders he was in the habit of robbing?

Was Muhammad a hypocrite, or was he just another Muslim who does not mean what he says when he talks about no compulsion in religion?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #396 - Dec 14th, 2018 at 12:50pm

freediver wrote on Dec 14th, 2018 at 12:24pm:

Abu actually claimed once that it is not compulsion if you are given the option of dying instead of converting.

Gandalf, how do you explain Muhammad threatening the Jews of Medina with convert or die as soon as he was in a position to make the threat, after his first military victory against the Meccan traders he was in the habit of robbing?

Was Muhammad a hypocrite, or was he just another Muslim who does not mean what he says when he talks about no compulsion in religion?

I wonder if that 'conversion' thing has been the victim of Chinese whispers.  Maybe it was 'surrender to me, or die?'  At least that makes sense.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #397 - Dec 14th, 2018 at 2:59pm

Abu actually claimed

Yeah nah, I don't think so.

Gandalf, how do you explain Muhammad threatening the Jews of Medina with convert or die as soon as he was in a position to make the threat

Obviously I don't interpret it as a threat.

Quote:

IP Logged

Cu Chulainn
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #399 - Dec 15th, 2018 at 2:05am

Aussie wrote on Dec 14th, 2018 at 12:50pm:

I wonder if that 'conversion' thing has been the victim of Chinese whispers.  Maybe it was 'surrender to me, or die?'  At least that makes sense.

Why do you even bother looking for "outs" for this abhorrent ideology? Should we use Mo's reasoning on the followers of Mo amongst us? There is certainly evidence of treasonous thoughts amongst them. I have to wonder if they are just a mindless collective.
« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2018 at 2:11am by Cu Chulainn »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #400 - Dec 15th, 2018 at 2:51pm

Aussie wrote on Dec 14th, 2018 at 12:50pm:

Why does convert or die not make sense? Muhammad slaughtered a lot of people merely for not being Muslims.

Here is the text for you. Let's see if you are as good as Gandalf at trying to twist this into something benign:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banu_Qaynuqa

Muhammad then approached the Banu Qaynuqa, gathering them in the market place and addressing them as follows,

“      
O Jews, beware lest God bring on you the like of the retribution which he brought on Quraysh. Accept Islam, for you know that I am a prophet sent by God. You will find this in your scriptures and in God's covenant with you.[13]

FYI, the Quraysh were some Meccan traders who Muhammad had just slaughtered as punishment for trying to resist being robbed by Muhammad.

Quote:
Obviously I don't interpret it as a threat.

Grin

Quote:
Why do you even bother looking for "outs" for this abhorrent ideology? Should we use Mo's reasoning on the followers of Mo amongst us? There is certainly evidence of treasonous thoughts amongst them. I have to wonder if they are just a mindless collective.

Oh dear. Gandalf what does Islam tell us to do with mindless collectives?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #401 - Dec 15th, 2018 at 8:23pm

freediver wrote on Dec 15th, 2018 at 2:51pm:
Quote:

Oh dear. Gandalf what does Islam tell us to do with mindless collectives?

You certainly raise an interesting point by turning this sinister veiled threat towards muslims into yet another 'lets mock muslims' meme.

You hound me day in day out for apparently being some nazi-esque anti-semite genocide supporting monster etc etc.... all based on a silly academic debating point on a most insignificant, obscure piece of 1400 year old ancient history. Yet when people actually do make genocidal-like threats against an actual vulnerable group living today in society - mass internment, mass deportation, collective punishment, FD's nowhere to be seen - or if you are, its to spinelessly apologise for them. 

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #402 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 6:01am

Quote:
You hound me day in day out for apparently being some nazi-esque anti-semite genocide supporting monster etc etc.... all based on a silly academic debating point on a most insignificant, obscure piece of 1400 year old ancient history.

Are you saying that the support among Muslims for Muhammad's genocide has no influence on how they behave today?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #403 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 12:47pm

Quote:
O Jews, beware lest God bring on you the like of the retribution which he brought on Quraysh. Accept Islam, for you know that I am a prophet sent by God. You will find this in your scriptures and in God's covenant with you.

You got a video of him saying exactly that, Effendi?

Mo spoke perfect medieval English as well?

IP Logged

Cu Chulainn
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #404 - Dec 16th, 2018 at 1:56pm

Aussie wrote on Dec 16th, 2018 at 12:47pm:
Quote:
O Jews, beware lest God bring on you the like of the retribution which he brought on Quraysh. Accept Islam, for you know that I am a prophet sent by God. You will find this in your scriptures and in God's covenant with you.

You got a video of him saying exactly that, Effendi?

Mo spoke perfect medieval English as well?

I'm sure Allah could have arranged that for him, he is god after all. Huh

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 ... 36
Send Topic Print