Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Muslims are honest and trustworthy

Thank you for voting in this poll.
(The results however will remain hidden until all the votes have been counted.)

Total votes: 3
« Created by: Frank on: Jan 10th, 2019 at 9:36pm »

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 36
Send Topic Print
Islam greatest threat to freedom and democracy (Read 37453 times)
Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Islam greatest threat to freedom and democracy
Reply #240 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 7:50pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Oct 16th, 2018 at 4:47pm:
freediver wrote on Oct 16th, 2018 at 2:57pm:
Quote:
I did not say they were the biggest cities in all of history.

And I actually meant to say the western world

So this is your way of agreeing with me that they fell short of what the Romans achieved 1000 years earlier and what the Chinese were achieving at the same time?

Basically, the Muslims did wonderful things with civilisation, so long as you only compare them with themselves.

Are you still talking about cities? Or are you shifting the goalposts again?
According to the source I posted above, Baghdad and Cairo during their heyday were a) probably at least as big as any Chinese city at the same time and b) in the case of Baghdad, probably at least as big as Rome at its height. But you shouldn't reduce my argument down to simply "Islam was great because... cities". I talked about a lot more things than just cities. And you seem to have forgotton I was not disputing the fact that Islam didn't reach the dizzying heights of Rome. Never did. What I was disputing, if you recall, was a) that the middle east was the centre of western civilization at the very point in time at which Islam emerged - it wasn't, it was practically a basket case as a result of prolonged warfare between the Persians and East Romans, and b) that Islam did nothing to improve the middle east - it demonstrably did, according to the same data you yourself loved to trot out.

Islam has not made any positive contribution to the West, it has brought only discord and degradation. Not a single good thing has come from Muslim immigration to any Western country.
Islam has brought only discord, backwardness, stupidity and violence.  Not a single improvement, not a single positive contribution. It is a disease infecting the West, nothing else.

Kiss

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #241 - Oct 16th, 2018 at 9:10pm

Frank wrote on Oct 16th, 2018 at 7:50pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on Oct 16th, 2018 at 4:47pm:
freediver wrote on Oct 16th, 2018 at 2:57pm:
Quote:
I did not say they were the biggest cities in all of history.

And I actually meant to say the western world

So this is your way of agreeing with me that they fell short of what the Romans achieved 1000 years earlier and what the Chinese were achieving at the same time?

Basically, the Muslims did wonderful things with civilisation, so long as you only compare them with themselves.

Are you still talking about cities? Or are you shifting the goalposts again?
According to the source I posted above, Baghdad and Cairo during their heyday were a) probably at least as big as any Chinese city at the same time and b) in the case of Baghdad, probably at least as big as Rome at its height. But you shouldn't reduce my argument down to simply "Islam was great because... cities". I talked about a lot more things than just cities. And you seem to have forgotton I was not disputing the fact that Islam didn't reach the dizzying heights of Rome. Never did. What I was disputing, if you recall, was a) that the middle east was the centre of western civilization at the very point in time at which Islam emerged - it wasn't, it was practically a basket case as a result of prolonged warfare between the Persians and East Romans, and b) that Islam did nothing to improve the middle east - it demonstrably did, according to the same data you yourself loved to trot out.

Islam has not made any positive contribution to the West, it has brought only discord and degradation. Not a single good thing has come from Muslim immigration to any Western country.
Islam has brought only discord, backwardness, stupidity and violence.  Not a single improvement, not a single positive contribution. It is a disease infecting the West, nothing else.

Kiss

Always, absolutely, never ever.

Old boy post #1.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #242 - Oct 17th, 2018 at 11:06am

freediver wrote on Oct 16th, 2018 at 4:54pm:
Quote:
According to the source I posted above, Baghdad and Cairo during their heyday were a) probably at least as big as any Chinese city at the same time and b) in the case of Baghdad, probably at least as big as Rome at its height. But you shouldn't reduce my argument down to simply "Islam was great because... cities".

Of course. Islam was great for many reasons, so long as you don't look at any particular one too closely.

Is that why you are conspicuously ignoring everything I mentioned except the size of the cities - which even that you are wrong about?

Islam unquestionably improved the areas of the middle east it conquered on any of Morris's 4 social development scales, before it declined again (a point I never disputed) - do you at least concede that? And do you concede that ranting on and on about how badly Islamic civilization compared to Roman civilization is completely irrelevant to this point?

freediver wrote on Oct 16th, 2018 at 4:54pm:
So best to list lots of them then change the subject as frequently as possible.

Or in your case, best to ignore what it is I was actually arguing, and pretend its about something else. Perhaps you can bring in the mindless collective jews again. There's surely a place for them in any anti-Islam rant.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #243 - Oct 17th, 2018 at 11:13am

Islam has not made any positive contribution to the West,

The great thing about this statement is its completely unfalsifiable - as you just define "Islam-positive-contribution" in any way you damn please. Mention the countless number of muslim scientists that helped and inspired western advancement? Too easy - just say they were not actually muslim and/or such scientific flowering happened in spite of Islam. Mention the unprecedented caliphate-blessed campaign to collect, interpret, develop and preserve Greek works? Just Christians and jews - who unfathomably were allowed to flourish intellectually and culturally under the "convert or die", barbarian caliphate.

I literally cannot argue against this Frank, God knows I've tried. I guess I never trully comprehended just how little actual facts matter in this debate. Never trully appreciated just how blatantly and unashamedly words and facts and logic can be obfuscated and twisted on its head. Just how anti-intellectual this debate can become. well done you win.
« Last Edit: Oct 17th, 2018 at 11:19am by polite_gandalf »  

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #244 - Oct 17th, 2018 at 6:18pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Oct 17th, 2018 at 11:13am:

The great thing about this statement is its completely unfalsifiable - as you just define "Islam-positive-contribution" in any way you damn please. Mention the countless number of muslim scientists that helped and inspired western advancement? Too easy - just say they were not actually muslim and/or such scientific flowering happened in spite of Islam. Mention the unprecedented caliphate-blessed campaign to collect, interpret, develop and preserve Greek works? Just Christians and jews - who unfathomably were allowed to flourish intellectually and culturally under the "convert or die", barbarian caliphate.

I literally cannot argue against this Frank, God knows I've tried. I guess I never trully comprehended just how little actual facts matter in this debate. Never trully appreciated just how blatantly and unashamedly words and facts and logic can be obfuscated and twisted on its head. Just how anti-intellectual this debate can become. well done you win.

Ah, you've discovered it, eh?

Yes, in the end, FD and the old boy's goal is to undermine knowledge itself. The old boy uses always absolutely never-ever or no-speaka-da-English. Either that, or a jolly tjurd post to put you in your place. Superior culture, innit.

FD has sometimes a question is just a question and the Wiki. Everything in the Wiki is in FD's own words. FD never has any research or reading or even experience to comment on, just questions. Most of his posts attempt to do away with reason altogether. Check out the impossible leaps of logic and inferences. When all else fails, FD has the porkie. "When you said you wanted to execute gays who do it Mardis Gras-style..."

I've learned to fine tune my responses over the years, G. The best ones are one or two words. Miam miam works well. You can't use logic to counter illogic, they simply don't recognise it. You can't use knowledge or research. Basically, everything they teach you at uni is useless in the post-truth world FD and the old boy subscribe to.

At the end of the day, all you can do is marvel at this brave new world with such wonderous things in it. All you can say is ah.

It's their world now.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #245 - Oct 17th, 2018 at 8:24pm

You can't argue against it because it is true.

The 'Muslims scientists' argument is hollow and self-serving. They were not contribution to the West, they were self-justifications for Islam.  Islam has never been and never will be a disinterested force for human betterment. Everything Islam does is about justifying and advancing Islam- a primitive, bloody 7th century fantasy of a semi-literate Arab trader who turned warlord. It is a sordid tale talked up by other semi-literate Arabs.

Islam is a degradation of Western civilisation in every instance it comes into contact with the West. It is not an advancement or a positive step in any way.

If the Arab rabble were given a choice between Islam and Christianity or Judaism, they would have chosen anything but Islam were they not induced otherwise by the promise of loot, slaves and pussy.  You are dreadful slaves to sensuality, you Muslims.  It's that hair thing you have.

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #246 - Oct 17th, 2018 at 8:31pm

The Islamic Scientists, philosophers etc. were all inspired by Western philosophy, particularly neo-platonism. If you read many of the works of the Islamic philosophers they're espousing the same things that the classical philosophers said before them.

In short, it wasn't due to Islam that the Golden Age occurred; they simply copied and borrowed existing ideas.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #247 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 7:47am

Auggie wrote on Oct 17th, 2018 at 8:31pm:

The Islamic Scientists, philosophers etc. were all inspired by Western philosophy, particularly neo-platonism. If you read many of the works of the Islamic philosophers they're espousing the same things that the classical philosophers said before them.

In short, it wasn't due to Islam that the Golden Age occurred; they simply copied and borrowed existing ideas.

Your first paragraph is spot on, except for the "espousing the same things" part. Islamic science diverged in many important ways - perhaps most notably in first floating the heliocentric model, and Copernicus citing the works of muslim astronomers as inspiration for his model. But the point is, scientific advancement is pretty pointless if you just reinvent the wheel every time. It would be foolish not to build upon Greek works, and they should be given credit for doing so, not dismissed as being unoriginal.

As for your second paragraph, it is quite disingenuous. By "simply copied and borrowed existing ideas" - you are in fact referring to the greatest preservation and translation project in all of human history to that time. The Greek works that the caliphate organised to be meticulously and very systematically translated, reworked and preserved, ended up occupying the greatest libraries the world had seen to that point. Which spawned in Baghdad, Cordoba and Cairo, and other places, the greatest intellectual centres of the world in their time. All the while medieval monks (the only people who could pass in any way as "intellectual") in the west were literally rubbing out priceless ancient parchments to write the bible - because they had a chronic shortage of parchments.

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #248 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 2:15am

Auggie wrote on Oct 17th, 2018 at 8:31pm:

I'm not sure, Auggie. One of the big motivators for Islamic expansion/conversion was Islamic medicine.

I'm not sure, because I don't know how much this was influenced by Ancient Greek medicine, but it had an impact on a number of rulers and influential merchants' decisions to convert after being cured.

IP Logged

moses
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #249 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 5:01pm

Q/. Oh muslim doctor what is the cure for having my head chopped off?

A/. Convert to islam infidel pig.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #250 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 6:07pm

I believe the greatest threat to democracy and freedom (the two are not synonymous) is the population explosion where societies become so large that administration becomes unwieldy and social services breakdown. The population explosion is also the cause of pending environmental disasters.
« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2018 at 10:32pm by issuevoter »  

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #251 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 6:11pm

Not at all unfalsifiable, either if you look at the whole sentence as posted or the way you mutilated it. Islamic migration has contributes absolutely nothing positive to Western countries - indeed, Islam has not contributed anything positive to Muslim countries for at least half a milleannium.

Islam did what it did in the field of knowledge to justify itself at the light of the ancients. It has never done anything even in its so-called golden age to contribute to anyone else's civilisation let alone to the whole of humanity. The very idea is anathema to a Muslim mind steeped in Islam. Islam is not a universalist creed as Christianity is or as Western civilisation has been since antiquity. Islam is radically and doggedly two-tier, radically partisan and supremacist.

https://twitter.com/OnlineMagazin/status/1052965782991331329

The Christians and the Jews were allowed to 'flourish' insofar as it benefited and served Islam. Even today Muslims are baying for the blood of a Christian simply because she drank from a cup on a hot day.  That is the heart of Islam, that eternally strange, barbaric intolerance and petty rancour.

Post-war Islamic immigration has benefited no Western country - or any other non-Muslim country. The movement of Muslims into non-Muslim countries has brought only discord and degradation to each and every society that permitted it, Western or not.
Conversely, its exclusively Western ideas and technology that have made any development in Muslim countries possible. Those great and wondrous achievements of the Islamic mind have done absolutely nothing to lift Muslim countries out of poverty, tyranny, misery. All they do is keep them there.

« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2018 at 12:49pm by Frank »  

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #252 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 6:15pm

issuevoter wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 6:07pm:
I believe the greatest threat to democracy and freedom (the two are not synonymous) is the population explosion where societies become so large that administration becomes unwieldy and social services breakdown. The population explosion is also the course of pending environmental disasters.

In Africa.  They can't keep it in their trousers, those gollywogs - can I sat that?

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #253 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 7:34pm

Saudi - time to cut them loose.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #254 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 9:36pm

Frank wrote on Oct 25th, 2018 at 7:34pm:
Saudi - time to cut them loose.

That time was years ago, old boy, back when you were baying for Saddam's blood.

We did warn you, you know.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 36
Send Topic Print