Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Heat wave: NSW fossil fuel power caused risk (Read 495 times)
Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Heat wave: NSW fossil fuel power caused risk
Feb 23rd, 2017 at 10:26am

The power supply problems during the heat wave were caused by fossil fuel power plants, not renewables.

NSW regulatory authorities are incompetent.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-22/report-shows-power-plant-outages-contribut...

Quote:
Power plant outages contributed to overloading scare during NSW heatwave, report finds

Australia's energy operator has found power plant failures contributed to the unprecedented pressure on the New South Wales electricity grid during this month's heatwave.

Key points:

A heatwave between February 10 and 12 prompted warnings of rolling blackouts in NSW
The concerns forced AGL Energy to cut power at its Tomago Aluminium smelter
Now, a report has found power plant failures contributed to pressure on the grid
The Australian Energy Market Operator report confirmed outages at three thermal energy power plants were a factor in the power reserve shortfall, which prompted warnings to residents to conserve electricity to prevent rolling blackouts between February 10 and 12.

A fault in a gas turbine forced an outage at the Illawarra's Tallawarra plant, while low gas pressure stopped production at the Snowy Hydro's Colongra plant.

The report also said a "number of thermal generators" reduced output.

The outages combined to overload the NSW power interconnectors with Queensland and Victoria, creating an insecure operating state.

The record-high electricity demands forced AGL Energy to cut power at its Tomago Aluminium smelter near Newcastle, which consumes 10 per cent of the state's power.

"AEMO has found generally that all actions and responses of facilities and services were adequate," the report stated.

Tomago Aluminium's chief executive Matt Howell said the findings were not surprising.

"The way it played out, it was dysfunctional," he said.

"It's pretty clear that there was a system security risk and the market operator had to intervene."
The report revealed that at one stage on February 10 the spot price for electricity spiked to $14,000/MWh.

Mr Howell said those prices were unacceptable.

"$14,000/MWh is equivalent to paying close to $400 a litre for fuel," he said.

"If we had to pay that amount for fuel there would certainly be a community backlash, so why do we allow the electricity market to get that far out of kilter?"

The AEMO report also said the body intends to look further into plant capabilities during extreme conditions.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2017 at 10:36am by Unforgiven »  

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Re: Heat wave: NSW fossil fuel power caused risk
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 10:33am

Damn reneweables.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 10:42am

And yet QLD was buying power from NSW providers during the heatwave.

Sounds like BS to me.

Renewables have smack all to do with this situation.

They cannot supply base load nor cope with high demand like what occurred during the heatwave.

What causes problems is private enterprise manipulating prices by running coal fired power stations below capacity
and skimping on maintenance.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 10:44am

Unforgiven wrote on Feb 23rd, 2017 at 10:26am:
A fault in a gas turbine forced an outage at the Illawarra's Tallawarra plant

How long has it been on line? When was it last pulled from service for maintenance?

While low gas pressure stopped production at the Snowy Hydro's Colongra plant.

Low gas pressure? I can't see that happening as often as lack of wind or sun.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 12:23pm

lee wrote on Feb 23rd, 2017 at 10:44am:
A fault in a gas turbine forced an outage at the Illawarra's Tallawarra plant

How long has it been on line? When was it last pulled from service for maintenance?

While low gas pressure stopped production at the Snowy Hydro's Colongra plant.

Low gas pressure? I can't see that happening as often as lack of wind or sun.

It's all those gas guzzling power plants sucking the shiit out of the gas mains. A peaking plant is not much use when it won't start to meet the peaks.

Quote:
... “Colongra power station is the largest gas-fired generation plant in NSW, and as a peaking plant, ...
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2017 at 12:40pm by Unforgiven »  

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 12:25pm

the real problem is not renewables v fossil fuels, the real problem is privatisation

I notice none of the people bitching about the power shortages have dared to address it.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 12:27pm

lee wrote on Feb 23rd, 2017 at 10:44am:
How long has it been on line?

about 8 years.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #7 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 1:42pm

Australia's fossilized fool governments let the people down by not ensuring power plants were managed by competent people.

http://reneweconomy.com.au/nsw-heatwave-another-catalogue-of-fossil-fuel-power-f...

Quote:
NSW heatwave: Another catalogue of fossil fuel power failures

A recent New South Wales power supply scare has been found to have been caused – not by renewables – but by a series of gas and coal plant faults and failures that happened to coincide with record high electricity demand as the state sweltered through a February heatwave.

A report published on Wednesday by the Australian Energy Market Operator has found that, like in South Australia, renewable energy performed more or less as expected. But it was the sudden and unannounced failures of gas generators that put power supplies in peril.

The NSW report confirms – as revealed last week by RenewEconomy – that the state narrowly avoided mass blackouts on Friday, February 10, after a faulty gas turbine caused EnergyAustralia’s 480MW Tallawarra gas plant (below) to trip, taking it out of action at around 4.30pm for two hours, just as demand was reaching its peak.

Soon after, Snowy Hydro’s 600MW Colongra gas peaker facility, which had responded to AEMO’s call for supply, informed the market operator that all four of its units had failed to start, due to low gas pressure in the fuel supply line.

Also out of action were two units of the Liddell coal-fired power plant – another 1000MW of thermal generation capacity – that had been closed down the previous Monday due to valve problems.

Solar and wind energy generation were also on the decline, but AEMO insisted that this was in line with what had been forecast, and posed no issues.

Meanwhile, electricity demand in the state was peaking at 14,181MW, just under its February 2011 record of 14,744MW – forcing AEMO to call for Australia’s largest aluminium smelter, Tomago in the hunter Valley, to cut production by nearly 300MW.rsz_screen_shot_2017-02-22_at_25531_pm

This action, and a 200MW reduction in forecast demand that is suspected to have resulted from consumer savings after public pleas from the state government, was all that saved the state from the same sort of rolling blackouts suffered by South Australia in that same week.

“These factors, all coinciding at approximately 5pm combined to overload the NSW interconnections with Queensland and Victoria, creating an insecure operating state,” the AEMO report said.

“With no further generation available to serve the demand and relieve overloading interconnectors, as a last resort at 4.58pm AEMO directed Transgrid to shed the No. 3 hotline at the Tomago aluminium smelter (290MW). … The load was shed by 5.06pm and this action restored the power system to a secure operating state.”

The NSW incident followed rolling blackouts earlier that week in South Australia, as record heat and electricity demand put pressure on the grid.

The SA load-shedding event, which was forecast by AEMO, was swiftly blamed on renewables by the Turnbull government, with federal energy minister fingering the state’s low wind output and “gamble” on renewables.

Prime minister Malcolm Turnbull and others joined in. Later, in question time, Frydenberg blamed the blackout on a “lack of wind”, and Treasurer Scott Morrison, infamously, brandished a lump of coal.

Importantly, AEMO staff told the Senate inquiry into the grid’s resilience that:  “Yes, we knew the wind would drop-off and we knew the solar would drop-off at a particular time, but our reserves were fine up until the point when we had forced outages” from gas plants.

The NSW incident, while providing further insight into the challenges facing Australia’s ageing electricity market, highlights a pattern that has been ignored by conservative media and politicians, where major gas and coal plants fail, or go missing, at times of peak demand, or other crises of supply.rsz_screen_shot_2017-02-22_at_30040_pm

In the case of the South Australian outages, 250MW of gas generation capacity at Pelican Point was not switched on, and 120MW of capacity of one of the Torrens Island units – which was running two days earlier – was also idle.

(An AGL spokesperson said the unit was “closed for maintenance”. A Pelican Point release said the unit “was not able to provide a market response under the current rules of the National Electricity Market, (NEM) unless directed by the market operator).”

A further 60MW was lost just before that outage due to gas plants not coping with the heat, while another 65MW was lost when the Port Lincoln gas plant packed it in.

350.org said today that AEMO’s latest report was a wake up call for the Turnbull government to stop it’s “ideological anti-renewable crusade” and focus on transitioning Australia’s ageing coal and gas infrastructure to clean energy.

“Malcolm Turnbull was so keen to use the South Australian blackout as an excuse to hit renewables – even though he was given evidence to show renewables played no part – but is silent on the danger ageing coal and gas plants pose to grid security,” 350.org energy spokesperson, Josh Creaser said.

“The saddest part for Malcolm Turnbull’s is that recent polling shows his desperate attempt at a scare campaign on energy security has failed dismally, with two-thirds of Australians supportive of more renewable energy.

“It is also up to AGL and EnergyAustralia to speed up the closure of these dirty power stations ~

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #8 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 1:47pm

The Australia wide power crisis was a story of incompetence. Government, regulatory, and operator incompetence.

Ther was enough installed capacity to meet the crisis if it had been properly managed.

... continued from the previous post:

Quote:
The saddest part for Malcolm Turnbull’s is that recent polling shows his desperate attempt at a scare campaign on energy security has failed dismally, with two-thirds of Australians supportive of more renewable energy.

“It is also up to AGL and EnergyAustralia to speed up the closure of these dirty power stations in line with climate science,” Creaser said.

“Climate change is only going to lead to more extreme weather events like the NSW heatwave, which will further put stresses on ageing coal and gas infrastructure. Many of these plants are already existing beyond their lifespan and are a liability to the grid and the climate.” 

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #9 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 4:01pm

Privatised power caused both major SA blackouts.

Weatherill should sue like hell everytime there is a blackout, sue until the absentee network owner hands the network back. Then fixing the network can start.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 4:07pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Feb 23rd, 2017 at 4:01pm:
Privatised power caused both major SA blackouts.

Weatherill should sue like hell everytime there is a blackout, sue until the absentee network owner hands the network back. Then fixing the network can start.

Even though it was shown that the wind generators put themselves offline due to the wind fluctuations. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print