Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
liberty, democracy, capitalism in new curriculum (Read 5836 times)
Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Re: liberty, democracy, capitalism in new curriculum
Reply #15 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 10:01pm

Only one paragraph in that article rings true. This one:

Quote:
There was a time when the West knew what it was about. It did so because it thought about itself — often in freshman Western Civ classes. It understood that its moral foundations had been laid in Jerusalem; its philosophical ones in Athens; its legal ones in Rome. It treated with reverence concepts of reason and revelation, freedom and responsibility, whose contradictions it learned to harmonise and harness over time. It believed in the excellence of its music and literature, and in the superiority of its political ideals. It was not ashamed of its prosperity. If it was arrogant and sinful, as all civilisations are, it also had a tradition of remorse and doubt to temper its edges and broaden its horizons. It cultivated the virtue of scepticism while avoiding the temptation of cynicism.

The rest is mostly misguided. Trump, Le Pen etc. are only effects of an already demoralised West. The actual point of when it went downhill is debatable, but it is certainly not Trump or Le Pen. Personally, I place the downfall when the radicals took over the universities and politics in the 1960-70s. Western history and culture was vastly reinterpreted at this time. The guilt and loathing industry rewrote the history books and this trickled down into everyday culture. Others argue that the downfall starts with Boas anthropology, others go as far back as the French Revolution. Whatever the case, 'The Wall Street Journal' is way off the mark.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #16 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 10:01am

The footprint of the French revolution are the wealthy liberal democracies of western Europe.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #17 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 10:17am

freediver wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 5:49pm:
Classroom focus shifts to life skills

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/education/classroom-focus-shifts-to-life-skills/news-story/60121e302bd9d74b74a06bbee60c99b8

The underlying thrust of the NSW changes is to ensure students have a depth of understanding of topic, which means their skills are transferable.

“Depth in content is something that was previously, I would say, diluted, in order to achieve choice and diversity,’’ Mr Alegounarias said. “The point of the learning is to get to the depth of content and the rigour of understanding, and the confidence and mastery over the content.’’

We have something called Shaping the Modern World,’’ Mr Alegounarias said. “Now that ­begins with the Enlightenment, it goes through the development of liberal democracy, the French Revolution, it studies the concepts of liberty, inalienable rights, the Age of Imperialism, capitalism, the Industrial Age, and manufacturing. So, there’s no shying away from the sort of comments that conservative commentators might accuse us of.

The oligarchy setting the agenda to produce robots once again.

If it's set in stone you cannot refute it or debate it.

Personal opinion and thought don't count.

Stay inside the box my son, it's safer in here.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #18 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 10:27am

That must be why they included the French Revolution.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #19 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 2:48pm

Britain never had a French style revolution but ended up being wealthier. While there's no doubt that the Revolution did spawn ideas on freedom, equality and liberty - as we see them today - the amount of blood spilled in order to establish them with the totalitarian style of Robespierre and the Jacobins is highly questionable. Britain did it relatively peacefully by enacting small incremental changes in rights over time.

There is also the argument, which I in part agree with, that this was the beginning of resentment based politics that we see today. Preachers of equality cannot tolerate anyone above them, which begets and validates envy and resentment fueled political movements. Awe and reverence dissipate from this time.    

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #20 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 6:05pm

You make it sound like people had a choice how to establish liberal democracy. Would you tell people living in Africa's tinpot dictatorships to seek only small incremental steps towards freedom and democracy? Do you think the dictators would be more cooperative if they only saw their power being eroded a little bit at a time?

Don't you think that the fate of the French leaders served as motivation for the British Monarchy? The only reason the British didn't need all the beheadings is because their monarchy was weaker to begin with.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #21 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 7:23pm

So many questions.
You've taken a very linear view of life and history (very Fukuyama like). Freedom (as in negative freedom?) and democracy aren't strictly determined evolutions or progressions. Non-Western countries, even the Mediterranean countries, are more collective, whereby (negative?) freedom plays second fiddle to the collective or traditional structures of culture and family.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #22 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 8:32pm

Do you think any of these people had a choice how to establish liberal democracy?

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #23 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 9:29pm

We should go a few steps backward first and ask, do they want or need to establish liberal democracy?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #24 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 10:46am

Of course not. People survive just fine even in the most brutal dictatorships.

Quote:
Britain never had a French style revolution but ended up being wealthier. While there's no doubt that the Revolution did spawn ideas on freedom, equality and liberty - as we see them today - the amount of blood spilled in order to establish them with the totalitarian style of Robespierre and the Jacobins is highly questionable. Britain did it relatively peacefully by enacting small incremental changes in rights over time.

Do you think any of these people had a choice how to establish liberal democracy?

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 11:09am

I would say no.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #26 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 11:19am

freediver wrote on Feb 26th, 2017 at 10:46am:
Of course not. People survive just fine even in the most brutal dictatorships.

Quote:

Which people?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #27 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 11:29am

The British and French.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #28 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 11:30am

There are always choices.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #29 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 12:14pm

So the French should have simply chosen a gradual British-style transition to liberal democracy?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print