Central Coast
Re: Aboriginals adapted
Reply #90 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 12:14pm

Brian Ross wrote on Feb 25th, 2017 at 5:55pm:
Valkie wrote on Feb 25th, 2017 at 5:04pm:
Bwyannnnn

The racist Xenophobe.

He hateth the white fella.

No apology?  No quotes and links?  Tsk, tsk, how typical of the Racist/Xenophobe/Islamophobic mindset.   You have to resort to ad homimen debate because you cannot win a real one.   Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Bwyannnnn

The racist Xenophobe.

Why does he hate the white fella?
Because he is a Racist Xenophobe.

Why is he a racist Xenophobe.
Because he hates the white fella.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #91 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 7:54pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 26th, 2017 at 1:27am:
Brian Ross wrote on Feb 26th, 2017 at 12:43am:
We already have that, UnSubRocky.   Australian native flora is highly salt-tolerant.  The problem is the farmers have cleared most of it off the productive land, this has resulted in the salt laden water table rising to the point where it is affecting the introduced, colonial flora, which isn't salt tolerant and so it all dies off.    Some farmers have already tried to create large canals which go down to the water table and take away a lot of the salt laden water.  Problem is, it is less efficient than the native flora.   You end up with more salt being drawn to the surface.

Lake Eyre is one of the lowest points in Australia.   All water courses around it, flow into it.   Water from the western side of the Great Dividing Range generally flow into it.  Only the Murray-Darling doesn't.   So, basically you're going to have to flood it, if you want to flood inland Australia.   This will destroy a unique environment which has been created over the last 50K years.  Flora and fauna uniquely adapted to it.   Are you sure you want to do that?

The Bradfield Scheme wanted to essentially do that by turning the rivers flowing eastwards from the Great Dividing Range to the western side of the range, rather as the Snow Mountains Scheme did for the Snowy River, further south.   Bradfield's scheme was hopelessly optimistic and of course failed to consider the effects on the eastern side of the Great Dividing Range, just as it failed to consider the effects on the western side.   Roll Eyes

I will have to start off by saying that this is interesting stuff that I did not know. I will look this topic up on the internet in the next few weeks.

Secondly, I just wanted to point out that there is nothing wrong with trying to find a solution to Australia's desertification. I was already aware that we have native trees that can counter the salinity of soils. Trees like salt grow (or whatever the scientific name may be). These types of flora have reversed the problems that farmers have encountered (perhaps caused) over the last 2 centuries. Salt grow being particularly useful in draining murky swamps (saline or otherwise) and allowing the surrounding environment to become useful fertile farmland.

Hearing through the grapevine that the government has undertaken to plant these native vegetations in areas where they are needed most urgently. But, I am told that this is going to take decades of growth and planting to recover good fertile farmland.

What I want to happen is for Australia's regional areas to have saline reduced soils over the next few decades. I know that is optimistic and perhaps unrealistic. But I think we have reached a point in our development when countering soil salinity is a bigger issue than we have entertained in the past. We can't simply go about our lives living in the past thinking that we should stick to a continent that is hopelessly unproductive in the interior, whilst packing our coastlines and cities with large populations.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with trying to decrease the salt problem, UnSubRocky. 

I'm just pointing out there are problems with the methods generally thought of (Bradfield Scheme, canals) by most people, as against the long, much harder, much more difficult methods that the CSIRO has advocated (use of native flora).    I agree that saltification s a problem that we have not thought sufficiently about over the last 200 years.   Bush clearing has gone unchecked and when there has been legislative action to prevent it, it's come in for a great deal of IMO unfair criticism from the ignorant farmers who make up the majority of the Nationals support base, particularly in Queensland and Western Australia.  Once you remove the native flora, the salt table rises and the result is salt die back of the flora that has been introduced to replace it. 

What is required is recognition of the problem and a proper study with the correct publicity on how to solve it.    Farmers aren't stupid, just generally stubborn.  They don't like change but if they want to keep farming, change is what they'll have to do.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #92 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 7:55pm

Valkie wrote on Feb 26th, 2017 at 12:14pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Feb 25th, 2017 at 5:55pm:
Valkie wrote on Feb 25th, 2017 at 5:04pm:
Bwyannnnn

The racist Xenophobe.

No apology?  No quotes and links?  Tsk, tsk, how typical of the Racist/Xenophobe/Islamophobic mindset.   You have to resort to ad homimen debate because you cannot win a real one.   Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Bwyannnnn

The racist Xenophobe.

Why does he hate the white fella?
Because he is a Racist Xenophobe.

Why is he a racist Xenophobe.
Because he hates the white fella.

Tsk, tsk, Valkie, thanks for proving my point for me so well.    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #93 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 8:26pm

The Nunga crew used to start bushfires to make a track to their next destination, being nomads this was their existence, plenty of roasted roo tails and witchetty grubs were to be had on the way. They also looked after the environment.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #94 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 8:49pm

Brian Ross wrote on Feb 26th, 2017 at 7:54pm:
I didn't say there was anything wrong with trying to decrease the salt problem, UnSubRocky. 

I'm just pointing out there are problems with the methods generally thought of (Bradfield Scheme, canals) by most people, as against the long, much harder, much more difficult methods that the CSIRO has advocated (use of native flora).    I agree that saltification s a problem that we have not thought sufficiently about over the last 200 years.   Bush clearing has gone unchecked and when there has been legislative action to prevent it, it's come in for a great deal of IMO unfair criticism from the ignorant farmers who make up the majority of the Nationals support base, particularly in Queensland and Western Australia.  Once you remove the native flora, the salt table rises and the result is salt die back of the flora that has been introduced to replace it. 

What is required is recognition of the problem and a proper study with the correct publicity on how to solve it.    Farmers aren't stupid, just generally stubborn.  They don't like change but if they want to keep farming, change is what they'll have to do. 

A sheep, wheat, barley, cattle, pig farm I worked on many years ago out near Kalannie was doing many things, contour banks to slow the water run off, deep ripping to break the crust that develops beneath the soil when you continually run over the ground with machinery, have livestock wandering and stops the water sinking in. Planting Casuarina in the salt affected lower areas to drink the water and lower the water table, growing barley there as it's more salt tolerant. Although when I left they were not in place, trees were planned to be planted along the contours.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #95 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 12:13am

Johnnie wrote on Feb 26th, 2017 at 8:26pm:
The Nunga crew used to start bushfires to make a track to their next destination, being nomads this was their existence, plenty of roasted roo tails and witchetty grubs were to be had on the way. They also looked after the environment.

Riiight!  Those kanga tails and grubs were not part of that environment - even if the Nunga crew torched more than they could use....

(Jesus God.....)

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #96 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 9:16am

Brian Ross wrote on Feb 25th, 2017 at 4:12pm:
Gordon wrote on Feb 24th, 2017 at 5:36pm:
I still wondering why picking up and using pieces of broken glass is considered some kind of achievement 

Considering that all Indigenous peoples around the world did the same, I suppose it isn't much of one but it is an interesting one, in and of itself.   That you've chosen to denigrate it suggests what about your attitudes, Gordon?  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

So where did the glass come from?  Roll Eyes

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #97 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 9:22am

Brian Ross wrote on Feb 25th, 2017 at 4:17pm:
Gordon wrote on Feb 24th, 2017 at 6:42pm:
Aboriginals were no doubt masters of survival in a harsh land. Nobody is taking that away from them. They also have the same potential as all humans on the planet. I don't subscribe to eugenics.

They're culture however, was under developed compared to others.

When people try to elevate their achievement to ridiculous levels, it really has the opposite effect. It makes one realise how rudimentary their culture was.

Did they do aquaculture, well probably, but the most basic form of it.

Export, if you call trading something to the tribe over the hill export, ok, sure.

And now it's gotten to the stage picking up bits of glass are noteworthy. Oh dear.

Actually, Indigenous Australian trading routes have been traced over thousands of kilometres, Gordon, so a bit more that just "over the hill".

As for their aquaculture, sophisticated fish traps have been discovered right around the continent from Tasmania to the Top End.   In S.W. Victoria, sophisticated eel traps and breeding ponds have been discovered.   So, it was a bit more than just the most basic form of aquaculture.

Your ignorance, like that of Valkie is quite astounding really, considering that we live in the early 21st century and you have access to the World Wide Web.   Your narrow-mindedness is also quite astounding.   That is unless you're a racist?  Tsk, tsk.    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

You get better & better. Fish traps are fish traps .... not aquaculture .... they trap wild fish.

As for building breeding ponds ...... more fanciful BS.

Any ponds would have been naturally occurring.

And I suppose they had sheet metal surrounds to stop the eels escaping?.....

because they can travel overland.

Did they do aquaculture courses at their Universities? Grin

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #98 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 1:05pm

Bwyannnn

Why do you hate Australia so Much?
Why do you hate a civilized style of life and want to live under a sick twisted doctrine of abuse?
Why do you hate white people?

You must have had a terrible childhood to hate white people and civilization so much.

I forgive you, and pity you
Unlike the CULT you wish to protect, I will not call for your beheading as I know this to be a primitive brutal thing.
I will simply forgive you and hope that one day you will see the light and realise that without the white fella.
You would have no forum to speak on
You would have no civilized society in which to speak
You would have no house or family.
You would be living a primitive life, striving just to survive and that's about it.

Be thankful, not jealous that white people advanced your world.
Be humble not angry that white people have allowed you to advance from illiterate and uneducated to literate and able to express your views intelligently.
Allow yourself to see that without the white fella, for all his foibles and ways, you and yours have progressed in this world.

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #99 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 7:03pm

Gnads wrote on Feb 27th, 2017 at 9:22am:
Brian Ross wrote on Feb 25th, 2017 at 4:17pm:
Gordon wrote on Feb 24th, 2017 at 6:42pm:
Aboriginals were no doubt masters of survival in a harsh land. Nobody is taking that away from them. They also have the same potential as all humans on the planet. I don't subscribe to eugenics.

They're culture however, was under developed compared to others.

When people try to elevate their achievement to ridiculous levels, it really has the opposite effect. It makes one realise how rudimentary their culture was.

Did they do aquaculture, well probably, but the most basic form of it.

Export, if you call trading something to the tribe over the hill export, ok, sure.

And now it's gotten to the stage picking up bits of glass are noteworthy. Oh dear.

Actually, Indigenous Australian trading routes have been traced over thousands of kilometres, Gordon, so a bit more that just "over the hill".

As for their aquaculture, sophisticated fish traps have been discovered right around the continent from Tasmania to the Top End.   In S.W. Victoria, sophisticated eel traps and breeding ponds have been discovered.   So, it was a bit more than just the most basic form of aquaculture.

Your ignorance, like that of Valkie is quite astounding really, considering that we live in the early 21st century and you have access to the World Wide Web.   Your narrow-mindedness is also quite astounding.   That is unless you're a racist?  Tsk, tsk.    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

You get better & better. Fish traps are fish traps .... not aquaculture .... they trap wild fish.

As for building breeding ponds ...... more fanciful BS.

Any ponds would have been naturally occurring.

And I suppose they had sheet metal surrounds to stop the eels escaping?.....

because they can travel overland.

Did they do aquaculture courses at their Universities? Grin

Oh, dearie, dearie, me.  Run along Gnads.  The grown ups have things they want to discuss and I'm sure it is past your bedtime.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #100 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 7:04pm

Valkie wrote on Feb 27th, 2017 at 1:05pm:
Bwyannnn

Why do you hate a civilized style of life and want to live under a sick twisted doctrine of abuse?

You must have had a terrible childhood to hate white people and civilization so much.

Unlike the CULT you wish to protect, I will not call for your beheading as I know this to be a primitive brutal thing.
I will simply forgive you and hope that one day you will see the light and realise that without the white fella.
You would be living a primitive life, striving just to survive and that's about it.

Be humble not angry that white people have allowed you to advance from illiterate and uneducated to literate and able to express your views intelligently.
Allow yourself to see that without the white fella, for all his foibles and ways, you and yours have progressed in this world.

Thank you Valkie for proving my point so well for me.   Tsk, tsk, shouldn't you trot along to bed?  The grown ups have things to discuss.    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #101 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 7:03am

Brian Ross wrote on Feb 27th, 2017 at 7:04pm:
Valkie wrote on Feb 27th, 2017 at 1:05pm:
Bwyannnn

Thank you Valkie for proving my point so well for me.   Tsk, tsk, shouldn't you trot along to bed?  The grown ups have things to discuss.    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

You have obviously reached the end of your catch words and insults.
Its always easy to tell with you.
As soon as you have lost, rather than admit defeat
You simply pull out you standard "Oh shite, I need a comeback" response.
"sk, tsk, shouldn't you trot along to bed?  The grown ups have things to discuss."

Perhaps you will eventually realize just how ridiculous that sounds?
Perhaps not.

Grow up my friend.
There is more to life than being a stooge for the people that play you for the fool.
The CULT, the Aboriginals play you, and you let them.

They are not victims.
They are takers.
And I'm getting sick to death of always being the giver.

If you don't like white civilization.
There are choices.
You can go to one of these backward countries and live like the primitives you seem to adore.
or you can live in civilized white society and just SUCK IT UP BUDDY.

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #102 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 4:01pm

Valkie wrote on Feb 28th, 2017 at 7:03am:
"sk, tsk, shouldn't you trot along to bed?  The grown ups have things to discuss."

Perhaps not.

Grow up my friend.
There is more to life than being a stooge for the people that play you for the fool.

They are not victims.
They are takers.

There are choices.
You can go to one of these backward countries and live like the primitives you seem to adore.

Valkie, please stop your racism in public, it is embarrassing watching you spout bullshit all the time.  Run along now, the grown ups have things they want to discuss.  Tsk, tsk.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #103 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 5:58pm

Brian Ross wrote on Feb 28th, 2017 at 4:01pm:

Perhaps not.

Grow up my friend.

They are not victims.
They are takers.

There are choices.

Valkie, please stop your racism in public, it is embarrassing watching you spout bullshit all the time. 
Run along now, the grown ups have things they want to discuss.  Tsk, tsk.
   Roll Eyes

Is that the best you can come up with.
Obviously a wasted educational program by the whites.

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #104 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 6:43pm

Valkie wrote on Feb 28th, 2017 at 5:58pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Feb 28th, 2017 at 4:01pm:

Perhaps not.

Grow up my friend.

They are not victims.
They are takers.

There are choices.

Valkie, please stop your racism in public, it is embarrassing watching you spout bullshit all the time. 
Run along now, the grown ups have things they want to discuss.  Tsk, tsk.
   Roll Eyes

Is that the best you can come up with.
Obviously a wasted educational program by the whites.

Really?  I wonder what's the highest level of education you have achieved, Valkie?  Kindergarten?  Tsk, tsk.   I'm sure you enjoyed your time in the playground.    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 26
Send Topic Print