War on cats (Read 8853 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
War on cats
Feb 19th, 2017 at 6:20pm

Gimme a .22 and 10000 rounds, would love to help

The federal government will unleash every weapon in its arsenal to wipe out 2 million feral cats – about a third of the population  – and will provide $5 million to community groups to serve as foot soldiers in the battle.

It's a race to save about 124 species of native wildlife at risk of extinction from feral cats, which are notoriously hard to kill.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/war-on-feral-cats-australia-aims-to-cull-2-millio...

IBI

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Re: War on cats
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 6:32pm

We have to outlaw cats in Australia. No more cat breeding, any cat around has to be neutered. That way no more new cats become feral.

THEN shoot all the feral cats you like!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 6:37pm

Great news. Let's hope none of it is wasted on those idiotic catch-neuter-release programs.

Quote:
Each feral cat kills up to 1000 native animals a year, ranging from crickets to lizards and small mammals. Some feral "catastrophic" cats will develop a taste and skill for hunting larger prey: Indigenous rangers in the Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yangkuntjatjara lands caught a 6.8-kilogram cat with a 5 kilogram rock-wallaby (warru) in its gut.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:01pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 6:20pm:

The federal government will unleash every weapon in its arsenal to wipe out 2 million feral cats – about a third of the population  – and will provide $5 million to community groups to serve as foot soldiers in the battle.

It's a race to save about 124 species of native wildlife at risk of extinction from feral cats, which are notoriously hard to kill.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/war-on-feral-cats-australia-aims-to-cull-2-millio...

I'd also want an LED Maglight as it'd be best to hunt them when they hunt, night time, but yep, I'd be in that. Cats always became the target if I saw one when I used to do a bit of hunting.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:18pm

Setanta wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:01pm:

I'd also want an LED Maglight as it'd be best to hunt them when they hunt, night time, but yep, I'd be in that. Cats always became the target if I saw one when I used to do a bit of hunting.

Would be worthy doing the tree change thing just to go cat and bunny shooting.

I love it when you put one just behind it's front leg and it springs 2m into the air, dead before it hits the ground.

IBI

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:22pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:18pm:

I love it when you put one just behind it's front leg and it springs 2m into the air, dead before it hits the ground.

They tend not to spring in the air if hit by a .243. A bit expensive for cats but that's not what it was being carried for and like I said, if I saw one, my target changed.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:24pm

Setanta wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:22pm:

They tend not to spring in the air if hit by a .243. A bit expensive for cats but that's not what it was being carried for and like I said, if I saw one, my target changed.

Can I come to your place for my next holiday?

IBI

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:27pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:24pm:

Can I come to your place for my next holiday?

I don't shoot any more. I'd take a govt holiday shooting cats out in the scrub/desert or where ever it was needed in a flash though.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:39pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 6:32pm:
We have to outlaw cats in Australia. No more cat breeding, any cat around has to be neutered. That way no more new cats become feral.

I agree.

It won't happen, of course, because the courts would be choked with irresponsible cat-owners up on charges of not having their cat neutered.

And then the legions of "Me no speaky the English" mob who've been out here since the mid-50's.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:40pm

Torches and spotlights are the old fashioned way of doing things you want a thermal scope for night hunting, take note of the footprints left by a cat on a tiled floor in total darkness, thermal scopes allow you to find everything night or day.

If the cats are less than 35 yards away a shotgun would be the first choice they can move pretty quick perhaps a rapid fire deadly lever action like the Adler would be suitable in case you miss with the first shot.

The .22lr is  not really suitable unless they're around 50 yards away, CCI standard velocity ammo if sighted in at 50 yards will be 2.6 inches low at 75 yards and drop 7.6 inches at 100 yards so range estimation is crucial with the .22lr.

I  carry a .243 Winchester with some 55gr projectiles for foxes and cats which is good for about 300 yards, I use 95 grain for pigs/dogs/goats, the .243 allows me to take a greater range of species I might come across.

This article says the .22lr is not suitable for cats because of the risk of non lethal wounding, we cannot upset those animal rights idiots.
pestsmart.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/CAT001_ground-shooting_web.pdf

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:40pm

Setanta wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:27pm:
I don't shoot any more. I'd take a govt holiday shooting cats out in the scrub/desert or where ever it was needed in a flash though.

Bloodlust?

Or just a passionate desire to save the Australian wildlife?

Hmmmmmm ...... ? Cool

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:41pm

Hmmmmmm ......... ?

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #12 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:43pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:41pm:
Hmmmmmm ......... ?

I'll leave that up to you Herb. Wink

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:47pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:40pm:
Setanta wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:27pm:

Bloodlust?

Or just a passionate desire to save the Australian wildlife?

Hmmmmmm ...... ? Cool

I enjoy shooting paper with target shooting unfortunately I cannot compete because my genuine reason is vermin control, my target shooting is limited to developing accurate loads for vermin control.

This 3 gun shooting competition looks good, Keannu Reeves rocks at it,no blood with that it shows a genuine reason for semi auto shotguns and rifles.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #14 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:51pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:40pm:

Torches and spotlights are the old fashioned way of doing things you want a thermal scope for night hunting, take note of the footprints left by a cat on a tiled floor in total darkness, thermal scopes allow you to find everything night or day.

If the cats are less than 35 yards away a shotgun would be the first choice they can move pretty quick perhaps a rapid fire deadly lever action like the Adler would be suitable in case you miss with the first shot.

The .22lr is  not really suitable unless they're around 50 yards away, CCI standard velocity ammo if sighted in at 50 yards will be 2.6 inches low at 75 yards and drop 7.6 inches at 100 yards so range estimation is crucial with the .22lr.

I  carry a .243 Winchester with some 55gr projectiles for foxes and cats which is good for about 300 yards, I use 95 grain for pigs/dogs/goats, the .243 allows me to take a greater range of species I might come across.

This article says the .22lr is not suitable for cats because of the risk of non lethal wounding, we cannot upset those animal rights idiots.

Times have changed, OK, I'll have one of them rather than a Maglight.

Some feral cats get pretty big but a 243 is overkill, 65 grain hollow point minced them. Perhaps a .223 with 35 grain hollow point thin jacket.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #15 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:53pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 6:32pm:

^^^^ Suits me just fine.

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #16 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:55pm

Setanta wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:43pm:
Hmmmmmm ......... ?

Only a specific disease will get rid of them, like Myxomatosis or the cancer the Tassie Devils got.

Popping them off with guns just might account for 2% of them after five years of cowboys taking the government's coin.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:55pm

Setanta wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:51pm:

Some feral cats get pretty big but a 243 is overkill, 65 grain hollow point minced them. Perhaps a .223 with 35 grain hollow point thin jacket.

Yes the .223 is suitable for cats yet not suitable for pigs and goats which is why I carry the .243

My 55gr loads for the .243 are around minimum load so muzzle velocity around 3500 fps which is around 300fps faster than my .223 shooting 55gr, best accuracy is around minimum load for the 55gr I can push them out to 4000 fps with max loads not as accurate and burns barrel out faster.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:59pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:55pm:
Setanta wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:43pm:
Hmmmmmm ......... ?

Only a specific disease will get rid of them, like Myxomatosis or the cancer the Tassie Devils got.

They use 1080 to poison cats, it doesn't work very well it kills plenty of other species that take the baits, cats like to chase play with then kill their dinner.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #19 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 8:01pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:55pm:
Yes the .223 is suitable for cats yet not suitable for pigs and goats which is why I carry the .243

My 55gr loads for the .243 are around minimum load so muzzle velocity around 3500 fps which is around 300fps faster than my .223 shooting 55gr, best accuracy is around minimum load for the 55gr I can push them out to 4000 fps with max loads not as accurate and burns barrel out faster.

I suppose if you are carrying one firearm for the widest range of use, the .243 is hard to beat. We don't really have any "big" animals here except buffalo up north.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #20 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 8:02pm

IBI

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 8:03pm

Setanta wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 8:01pm:

I suppose if you are carrying one firearm for the widest range of use, the .243 is hard to beat.

If I am on foot I only carry one, if using a vehicle might have a few to choose from

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 8:09pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 8:02pm:

Looks like less than 50 yards which makes it ok, the .22lr has poor ballistic coefficient which means crosswinds blow it around a lot and it has heaps of bullet drop due to low velocity and gravity.

Most of my shots are taken 75-250 yards so .22lr not suitable.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #23 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 8:13pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 8:09pm:

Looks like less than 50 yards which makes it ok, the .22lr has poor ballistic coefficient which means crosswinds blow it around a lot and it has heaps of bullet drop due to low velocity and gravity.

I'm not a shooter,  just a city boy who loves shooting but rarely gets the chance.  Many years ago I spent 3 months out west and did a  lot, mostly with a. 22 hornet.  That sorts a cat out nicely.

IBI

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #24 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 8:15pm

I used to use .22 stinger for rabbits. Lighter projectile but a bit quicker and less drop. 1600 fps.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #25 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 8:25pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 8:13pm:

I'm not a shooter,  just a city boy who loves shooting but rarely gets the chance.  Many years ago I spent 3 months out west and did a  lot, mostly with a. 22 hornet.  That sorts a cat out nicely.

Move to Vic and join the police force! Grin

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 8:26pm

Setanta wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 8:15pm:

I used to use .22 stinger for rabbits. Lighter projectile but a bit quicker and less drop. 1600 fps.

My Anshutz 1416 has better accuracy shooting RWS ammo.
Carrying a .22lr limits what I can take, the problem with the .22lr is longer range accuracy, it can kill much further than the accurate range.
The stinger has a slightly longer case it's not suitable for some .22's

I have some loads for the .223 with Trail Boss powder which drop velocity to around 1600fps which I limit to around 100 yards, the normal .223 loads are around 3200fps.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #27 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 8:29pm

Setanta wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 8:25pm:

Move to Vic and join the police force! Grin

I'd prefer to join one of the Kurdish squads in Syria/Iraq.  More interesting quarry.

IBI

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 8:29pm

Cats eat fish, WTF, the oceans are already doing it tough.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 8:31pm

You have Anzac rifle range at Malabar which is not very far from where you live they just signed a new 50 year lease.

If going for a rimfire I would suggest a .22lr, the .22 hornet ammo would cost as much as cheap .223 ammo.

I would still choose a shotgun for cats at less than 35 yards.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #30 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 8:31pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 8:26pm:

Carrying a .22lr limits what I can take, the problem with the .22lr is longer range accuracy, it can kill much further than the accurate range.

I have some loads for the .223 with Trail Boss powder which drop velocity to around 1600fps which I limit to around 100 yards, the normal .223 loads are around 3200fps.

I understand your reservation on using a .22lr for much. It's not really an accurate or effective round in the wild. It is cheap and works well enough for rabbits though.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 12:29pm

Setanta wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 8:31pm:
Baronvonrort wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 8:26pm:

I understand your reservation on using a .22lr for much. It's not really an accurate or effective round in the wild. It is cheap and works well enough for rabbits though.

A semi auto .22lr would be good, if the first shot doesn't quite go where you wanted it then a follow up shot can be done before it runs away.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #32 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 2:11pm

A blunderbuss is a good choice when spotting several of them rutting in a tight-knit group together.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 2:23pm

Yeah Set ...... wasting your time shooting feral cats with a .22 rifle.

.22 calibre from a 222, 223 or a 22.250 yes but an old .22 long rifle/pea rifle  Grin

Out piggin years ago and a big feral tomcat broke cover near a dam .... took 5 shots from a 222 & 22.250  before he stopped moving.

Sight em up & drop em from a distance.

The old 243 is a good weapon ...... you need something that whacks & drops em where they stand.

You may get away with a 22 magnum or 22 hornet.

I'm all for shooting all feral cats & fining owners who let their moggies roam day & night.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 2:33pm

Baron I successfully shot pigs, goats, cats & even brumbies with a Ruger mini 14 SS 223 semi auto.

It was a great all round rifle, I owned a Winchester 22.250 before that ...... in fact I traded the 22.250 for the Ruger .......

I regretted that ..... I should have kept both .....

that is up until Port Arthur & Howards stupid gun laws ruined everything.

I maintain a weapons license but only own my first ever .22 long rifle (Voere) I bought when I was 18 & my first air rifle that I got at 15 which doesn't work.

My centre fires & shotguns have all gone.  Sad

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 6:44pm

Gnads wrote on Feb 20th, 2017 at 2:33pm:

Baron I successfully shot pigs, goats, cats & even brumbies with a Ruger mini 14 SS 223 semi auto.

It was a great all round rifle, I owned a Winchester 22.250 before that ...... in fact I traded the 22.250 for the Ruger .......

I regretted that ..... I should have kept both .....

that is up until Port Arthur & Howards stupid gun laws ruined everything.

I maintain a weapons license but only own my first ever .22 long rifle (Voere) I bought when I was 18 & my first air rifle that I got at 15 which doesn't work.

My centre fires & shotguns have all gone.  Sad

The .223 is ok for smaller pigs doesn't have enough wallop for the bigger pigs, of course a fearsome semi auto like the mini 14 assault rifle allows a second shot if the first one doesn't stop them.

I prefer the .243 over the 22-250, the .243 has projectiles with better ballistic coefficient making it superior for longer range work.

I have 7mm-08 for bigger gun, it's basically a .308 necked down to .284, much better ballistics for longer range stuff.

The higher ballistic coefficient means it doesn't get dragged sideways as far in a crosswind making it more accurate.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 8:13pm

Sounds like you have a real arsenal. Smiley

As for your necked down 308

why didn't you just buy a standard calibre like a 270?

That can handle anything that roams this country.

re: the 223's capacity with large pigs .... size didn't seem to matter in my experience .... and yes

the extra shots were a real bonus .... that's why I bought it ..... and some 20 round magazines.

A mate of mine is right into weapons ... has an arsenal like you

but mainly range rifles .... he's a life member of Wondai Rifle Shooters Club.

He was explaining some ammo details to me the other day about centre fire primers

single flash vs double flash

I was using military ammo in my 223 & he said that was probably the best choice(single flash) ......

as well as being cheaper.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #37 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 8:19pm

'This article says the .22lr is not suitable for cats because of the risk of non lethal wounding, we cannot upset those animal rights idiots'.

They're not idiots, any more than decent people who don't want you yourself to suffer needlessly after you've been impacted by something like a car accident.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #38 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 11:01pm

Gnads wrote on Feb 20th, 2017 at 8:13pm:
Sounds like you have a real arsenal. Smiley

As for your necked down 308

why didn't you just buy a standard calibre like a 270?

That can handle anything that roams this country.

re: the 223's capacity with large pigs .... size didn't seem to matter in my experience .... and yes

the extra shots were a real bonus .... that's why I bought it ..... and some 20 round magazines.

A mate of mine is right into weapons ... has an arsenal like you

but mainly range rifles .... he's a life member of Wondai Rifle Shooters Club.

He was explaining some ammo details to me the other day about centre fire primers

single flash vs double flash

I was using military ammo in my 223 & he said that was probably the best choice(single flash) ......

as well as being cheaper.

The .270 is basically a necked down 30-06 or 30-03 if you like.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 11:11pm

Cats are lovely critters, so warm and cuddly, how could anyone put a bullet through their head.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 9:13am

Easy ....... load, sight, squeeze trigger.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #41 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 9:25am

freediver wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 6:37pm:
Great news. Let's hope none of it is wasted on those idiotic catch-neuter-release programs.

Quote:
Each feral cat kills up to 1000 native animals a year, ranging from crickets to lizards and small mammals. Some feral "catastrophic" cats will develop a taste and skill for hunting larger prey: Indigenous rangers in the Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yangkuntjatjara lands caught a 6.8-kilogram cat with a 5 kilogram rock-wallaby (warru) in its gut.

What a hunting machine.

Yes, kill them all

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #42 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 10:11pm

Plan to trap feral cats to save native animals in Campbelltown council area

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/east-hills/plan-to-trap-feral-cats-to-save-native-animals-in-campbelltown-council-area/news-story/7b3a65583a9bb7f7a94c5e16363bfe71

GPS tracker shows just how far Adelaide cats roam at night

Wild rabbits face ‘Agent Orange’ death trap

RESIDENTS will be able to trap feral cats to stop them killing and injuring local wildlife under a new Campbelltown Council scheme.

The council last week agreed to allow residents to hire its possum traps to catch feral cats roaming the streets at night.

Councillor Rob Tidd, who suggested the traps be used for cats, said they were a major problem.

“Each feral cat kills up to 1000 native animals a year,” Cr Tidd told last week’s council meeting.

“A few weeks ago, I found a bird had been slaughtered on my porch, so I got a cat trap and I did the right thing and took it to the Animal Welfare League.

“This isn’t about being anti cats, this is actually about protecting domestic cats and doing something about the feral cats.”

Under the council’s scheme, residents must take a trapped cat to the Animal Welfare League in Wingfield or the RSPCA in Lonsdale within 12 hours of capture.

Cr Tidd said the council had received “many” inquiries about whether it offered cat traps, but staff did not keep statistics on the number of requests.

Fellow councillor and cat owner Marijka Ryan feared “cat haters” would use the traps to catch pets that may have slipped outside at night.

“I am concerned that anyone in the neighbourhood who doesn’t like cats will go for any cat in the area and then plead ignorance when they catch a domestic cats,” Cr Ryan said.

Newton Vet Centre principal Geoff Brown said the traps were a humane way to deal with feral cats.

“The only issue is with potentially catching domestic cats, so you’d need to check they haven’t been tagged,” Dr Brown said.

“But from a humane point of view, it’s fine.”

RSPCA South Australia’s animal welfare advocate Rebekah Eyers said traps should be set somewhere sheltered from sun, wind and rain.

Dr Eyers said the RSPCA would check to see if it was a feral cat or a microchipped pet.

Under state legislation, cats identified by vets as being genuinely feral are unable to be rehomed.

“If unowned, (the cat) will be assessed in terms of condition, temperament and injury and a decision made in relation to its suitability for rehoming,” Dr Eyers said.

The traps cost $21 for two weeks, with a $100 bond, and $15 for a two-week extension.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #43 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 8:06am

The Torrens river runs through Campbelltown, water for feral cats there 24/7/365 and the eastern boundary is Hill Face.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #44 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 7:01pm

Study Finds Cats Are Killing Machines

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1345002324

cats are bad

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1183443762

Feral cats now cover 99.8% of Australia

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1483561037

Should it be legal to kill pet cats on the loose

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1329450615

Big cats prowl the bush

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1277554509

Cats kill more than 1 million birds in Australia every day, new estimates show

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-04/cats-killing-one-million-birds-in-australia-every-day-estimates/9013960

Cats kill more than a million birds every day across Australia, according to our new estimate — the first robust attempt to quantify the problem on a nationwide scale.

Rates are highest in Australia's dry interior, suggesting that feral cats pose a serious and largely unseen threat to native bird species.

This has been a contentious issue for more than 100 years, since the spread of feral cats encompassed the entire Australian mainland.

In 1906 the ornithologist AJ Campbell noted that the arrival of feral cats in a location often immediately preceded the decline of many native bird species, and he campaigned vigorously for action:

"Undoubtedly, if many of our highly interesting and beautiful birds, especially ground-loving species, are to be preserved from total extinction, we must as a bird-lovers' union, at no distant date face squarely a wildcat destruction scheme."

To provide a first national assessment of the toll taken by cats on Australian birds, we have compiled almost 100 studies detailing the diets of Australia's feral cats.

The results show that the average feral cat eats about two birds every five days.

We conclude that, on average, feral cats in Australia's largely natural landscapes kill 272 million birds per year.

Bird-kill rates are highest in arid Australia (up to 330 birds per square kilometre per year) and on islands, where rates can vary greatly depending on size.

We also estimate (albeit with fewer data) that feral cats in human-modified landscapes, such as the areas surrounding cities, kill a further 44 million birds each year. Pet cats, meanwhile, kill about 61 million birds per year.

Overall, this amounts to more than 377 million birds killed by cats per year in Australia — more than a million every day.

In a related study, we also compiled records of the bird species being killed by cats in Australia. We found records of cats killing more than 330 native bird species — about half of all Australia's resident bird species.

In natural and remote landscapes, 99 per cent of the cat-killed birds are native species. Our results also show that cats are known to kill 71 of Australia's 117 threatened bird species.
Birds that feed or nest on the ground, live on islands, and are medium-sized (60-300g) are most likely to be killed by cats.

But our coarse assessment from many published estimates of local bird density suggests that there are about 11 billion land birds in Australia, suggesting that cats kill about 3-4 per cent of Australia's birds each year.

However, particular species are hit much harder than others, and the population viability of some species (such as quail-thrushes, button-quails and ground-feeding pigeons and doves) is likely to be especially threatened.

Overall, bird killings by cats seem to greatly outnumber those caused by humans.

In Australia, cats are likely to significantly increase the extinction risk faced by some bird species.

In many locations, birds face a range of interacting threats, with cat abundance and hunting success shown to increase in fragmented bushland, in areas with high stocking rates, and in places with poorly managed fire regimes, so cat impacts compound these other threats.

What can be done to reduce the impact? The Federal Government's Threatened Species Strategy recognises the threat posed by feral cats, albeit mainly on the basis of their role in mammal extinctions.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #45 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 7:45pm

A .22 ? come on Gordy

I have been shooting for a big part of my life

and as far as feral cats go

.22 calibre may be ok ... but not from a standard .22 rifle. You may stand a chance up very close ... but you don't always have that option.

You need at a minimum a .22 magnum then a .222, a .223 or a 22.250 in a .22 calibre to be able to dispose of these hardy moggies.

On a shooting trip I was on many years ago a feral cat that did a runner from about 200 yards took at least 5 shared rounds from both a 22.250 & a .222 to bring it o a stop.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 7:52pm

For a time I owned a .223 Ruger Stainless steel semi auto ......

with old chinese military ammo it did a fine job on cats, pigs, goats & even Brumbies.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 7:59pm

Geesus just checked the dates ... alzheimers much.

This is a rehashed post from February.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #48 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 7:59pm

You can't shoot the pussy. 
  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #49 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 8:02pm

Gnads wrote on Oct 4th, 2017 at 7:59pm:
Geesus just checked the dates ... alzheimers much.

This is a rehashed post from February.

ABC radio was going on about cats, I was busy and couldn't pay attention. I guess that's why FD updated.

IBI

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 8:06pm

I never stop going on about feral cats & irresponsible urban cat owners.

A good portion need a good kick in the groin.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #51 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 8:15pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Mar 1st, 2017 at 8:06am:
The Torrens river runs through Campbelltown, water for feral cats there 24/7/365 and the eastern boundary is Hill Face.

I like cats as much as Dogs. But when they go Feral, its another story. Having lived in the Scrambletown region - it is rife with Feral Cats.
My wife at the time and I got sick of them fighting out our front and setting the dogs barking all night along the street.
At first we hired a Cat Trap and after catching 7 and taking them to the RSPCA, where some of the owners came and collected them. We found that we would trap the same ones. We then bought our own Trap and after trapping the 12th Cat, I decided to take some advice and invest in a Blow Dart tube. With a nice recipe of liquid on the end of the dart, I would shoot one into the cat in the cage when caught. Then I would release them. The 'recipe' would hit hard in half an hour - enough time for the Cat to scream back home and drop dead on their owners back door step. It only took a few months to be Cat Free in that street.  Smiley And everyone got some good night sleeps.

There is a trick to keeping Cats in the yard - a conduit pipe threaded by a wire along the top of the fence. It turns as the cat tries to take a hold on the top and spins the cat back off. A good preventative measure.
But in all honesty, Cat owners don't give a 'rats' about their Cats roaming around. Dogs have to be leashed and yarded, even caged now on vehicles. Why don't Cats?

As for the natural devastation they have caused to wildlife - well, need I say more.

...then there was the Owner of Notre Dame, who released his pet Panther into the wild, rather than surrender it to be put down because of Animal Right's Activists. It became the famous 'Panther of Penrith' and lived for a very long time. Last seen looking old and frail.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #52 - Oct 7th, 2017 at 10:10pm

What Would Happen If All The Cats Suddenly Disappeared?

Answer - we'd all die:

Jump to 2:50

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #53 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 4:00am

Jasin wrote on Oct 4th, 2017 at 8:15pm:
Jovial Monk wrote on Mar 1st, 2017 at 8:06am:

I like cats as much as Dogs. But when they go Feral, its another story. Having lived in the Scrambletown region - it is rife with Feral Cats.
My wife at the time and I got sick of them fighting out our front and setting the dogs barking all night along the street.
At first we hired a Cat Trap and after catching 7 and taking them to the RSPCA, where some of the owners came and collected them. We found that we would trap the same ones. We then bought our own Trap and after trapping the 12th Cat, I decided to take some advice and invest in a Blow Dart tube. With a nice recipe of liquid on the end of the dart, I would shoot one into the cat in the cage when caught. Then I would release them. The 'recipe' would hit hard in half an hour - enough time for the Cat to scream back home and drop dead on their owners back door step. It only took a few months to be Cat Free in that street.  Smiley And everyone got some good night sleeps.

There is a trick to keeping Cats in the yard - a conduit pipe threaded by a wire along the top of the fence. It turns as the cat tries to take a hold on the top and spins the cat back off. A good preventative measure.
But in all honesty, Cat owners don't give a 'rats' about their Cats roaming around. Dogs have to be leashed and yarded, even caged now on vehicles. Why don't Cats?

As for the natural devastation they have caused to wildlife - well, need I say more.

...then there was the Owner of Notre Dame, who released his pet Panther into the wild, rather than surrender it to be put down because of Animal Right's Activists. It became the famous 'Panther of Penrith' and lived for a very long time. Last seen looking old and frail.

Good work jasinner.
I cleared cats a while ago. They are returning now. 

A meal of liquid panadol mixed into some tasty dry cat biscuits dropped around various houses will help. 

What liquid recipie worked for you?

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 9:22am

War on cats

Australia has had the camel wars, now we can have the cat wars

tell turnbull to send in the troops

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #55 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 4:59pm

Cats make reat shark bait

But they dontblast very long.

The useless creatures drown too quickly

Perhaps we could breed a cat that could last longer.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

thecuriousmail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Brisbane
Reply #56 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 8:12pm

War should have started before Cats:
the musical. Would have saved elevators from bad music.

thecuriousmail.wordpress.com
"We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them." Albert Einstein

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #57 - Oct 21st, 2017 at 9:00am

Queensland’s Banana Shire Council introduces $10 feral cat bounty

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/queenslands-banana-shire-council-introduces-10-feral-cat-bounty/news-story/6054163de1f1cc5460ca29278e117d05

FERAL cats are now a hunted species after Banana Shire introduced a bounty on the pest.

The council will pay $10 for an adult cat’s scalp and $5 for a kitten.

The bounty is designed to stop the growing population of feral cats in rural areas of the central Queensland shire, where they are having a devastating effect on the native bird and mammal populations, The Morning Bulletin reports.

The council has allocated $25,000 in its Land Protection budget to cover the cost of the bounty and will continue the program until this funding is exhausted.

Environment and planning manager Chris Welch said a similar program recently introduced in the McKinlay Shire had a significant impact on the feral cat population.

“An increase in feral cat numbers has been observed, particularly though the rural areas of the shire, and council has received information from the Upper Dawson branch of the Queensland Wildlife Preservation Society raising the issue of impacts from feral and uncontrolled cats,” he said.

Mr Welch said the bounty would be restricted to feral animals destroyed on rural properties.

He said a property owner didn’t need to be the party destroying the animal and requesting payment, but must sign the payment request form giving a hunter permission to be on their property.

A recent study carried out by the Threatened Species Recovery Hub of the National Environmental Science Program found feral cats kill 316 million birds every year, while pet cats kill 61 million birds.

Lead researcher Professor John Woinarski said everybody knew cats killed birds, but this study showed the amount of predation was staggering at a national level.

“We found that the birds most likely to be killed by cats are medium-sized birds; birds that nest and feed on the ground, and birds that occur on islands or in woodlands, grassland and shrub lands,” he said.

“For Australian birds, cats are a longstanding, broadscale and deeply entrenched problem that needs to be tackled more effectively.

“Our knowledge of the impacts of cats on threatened mammals was a major stimulus for our first-ever national Threatened Species Strategy, which prioritised actions to control feral cats.”

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print