War on cats (Read 8842 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
War on cats
Feb 19th, 2017 at 6:20pm

Gimme a .22 and 10000 rounds, would love to help

The federal government will unleash every weapon in its arsenal to wipe out 2 million feral cats – about a third of the population  – and will provide $5 million to community groups to serve as foot soldiers in the battle.

It's a race to save about 124 species of native wildlife at risk of extinction from feral cats, which are notoriously hard to kill.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/war-on-feral-cats-australia-aims-to-cull-2-millio...

IBI

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Re: War on cats
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 6:32pm

We have to outlaw cats in Australia. No more cat breeding, any cat around has to be neutered. That way no more new cats become feral.

THEN shoot all the feral cats you like!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 6:37pm

Great news. Let's hope none of it is wasted on those idiotic catch-neuter-release programs.

Quote:
Each feral cat kills up to 1000 native animals a year, ranging from crickets to lizards and small mammals. Some feral "catastrophic" cats will develop a taste and skill for hunting larger prey: Indigenous rangers in the Anangu Pitjantjatjara Yangkuntjatjara lands caught a 6.8-kilogram cat with a 5 kilogram rock-wallaby (warru) in its gut.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:01pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 6:20pm:

The federal government will unleash every weapon in its arsenal to wipe out 2 million feral cats – about a third of the population  – and will provide $5 million to community groups to serve as foot soldiers in the battle.

It's a race to save about 124 species of native wildlife at risk of extinction from feral cats, which are notoriously hard to kill.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/war-on-feral-cats-australia-aims-to-cull-2-millio...

I'd also want an LED Maglight as it'd be best to hunt them when they hunt, night time, but yep, I'd be in that. Cats always became the target if I saw one when I used to do a bit of hunting.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:18pm

Setanta wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:01pm:

I'd also want an LED Maglight as it'd be best to hunt them when they hunt, night time, but yep, I'd be in that. Cats always became the target if I saw one when I used to do a bit of hunting.

Would be worthy doing the tree change thing just to go cat and bunny shooting.

I love it when you put one just behind it's front leg and it springs 2m into the air, dead before it hits the ground.

IBI

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #5 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:22pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:18pm:

I love it when you put one just behind it's front leg and it springs 2m into the air, dead before it hits the ground.

They tend not to spring in the air if hit by a .243. A bit expensive for cats but that's not what it was being carried for and like I said, if I saw one, my target changed.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #6 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:24pm

Setanta wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:22pm:

They tend not to spring in the air if hit by a .243. A bit expensive for cats but that's not what it was being carried for and like I said, if I saw one, my target changed.

Can I come to your place for my next holiday?

IBI

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:27pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:24pm:
Setanta wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:22pm:

Can I come to your place for my next holiday?

I don't shoot any more. I'd take a govt holiday shooting cats out in the scrub/desert or where ever it was needed in a flash though.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:39pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 6:32pm:
We have to outlaw cats in Australia. No more cat breeding, any cat around has to be neutered. That way no more new cats become feral.

THEN shoot all the feral cats you like!

I agree.

It won't happen, of course, because the courts would be choked with irresponsible cat-owners up on charges of not having their cat neutered.

And then the legions of "Me no speaky the English" mob who've been out here since the mid-50's.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:40pm

Torches and spotlights are the old fashioned way of doing things you want a thermal scope for night hunting, take note of the footprints left by a cat on a tiled floor in total darkness, thermal scopes allow you to find everything night or day.

If the cats are less than 35 yards away a shotgun would be the first choice they can move pretty quick perhaps a rapid fire deadly lever action like the Adler would be suitable in case you miss with the first shot.

The .22lr is  not really suitable unless they're around 50 yards away, CCI standard velocity ammo if sighted in at 50 yards will be 2.6 inches low at 75 yards and drop 7.6 inches at 100 yards so range estimation is crucial with the .22lr.

I  carry a .243 Winchester with some 55gr projectiles for foxes and cats which is good for about 300 yards, I use 95 grain for pigs/dogs/goats, the .243 allows me to take a greater range of species I might come across.

This article says the .22lr is not suitable for cats because of the risk of non lethal wounding, we cannot upset those animal rights idiots.
pestsmart.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/CAT001_ground-shooting_web.pdf

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:40pm

Setanta wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:27pm:
I don't shoot any more. I'd take a govt holiday shooting cats out in the scrub/desert or where ever it was needed in a flash though.

Bloodlust?

Or just a passionate desire to save the Australian wildlife?

Hmmmmmm ...... ? Cool

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:41pm

Hmmmmmm ......... ?

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #12 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:43pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:41pm:
Hmmmmmm ......... ?

I'll leave that up to you Herb. Wink

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:47pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:40pm:
Setanta wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:27pm:

Bloodlust?

Or just a passionate desire to save the Australian wildlife?

Hmmmmmm ...... ? Cool

I enjoy shooting paper with target shooting unfortunately I cannot compete because my genuine reason is vermin control, my target shooting is limited to developing accurate loads for vermin control.

This 3 gun shooting competition looks good, Keannu Reeves rocks at it,no blood with that it shows a genuine reason for semi auto shotguns and rifles.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #14 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:51pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:40pm:

Torches and spotlights are the old fashioned way of doing things you want a thermal scope for night hunting, take note of the footprints left by a cat on a tiled floor in total darkness, thermal scopes allow you to find everything night or day.

If the cats are less than 35 yards away a shotgun would be the first choice they can move pretty quick perhaps a rapid fire deadly lever action like the Adler would be suitable in case you miss with the first shot.

The .22lr is  not really suitable unless they're around 50 yards away, CCI standard velocity ammo if sighted in at 50 yards will be 2.6 inches low at 75 yards and drop 7.6 inches at 100 yards so range estimation is crucial with the .22lr.

I  carry a .243 Winchester with some 55gr projectiles for foxes and cats which is good for about 300 yards, I use 95 grain for pigs/dogs/goats, the .243 allows me to take a greater range of species I might come across.

This article says the .22lr is not suitable for cats because of the risk of non lethal wounding, we cannot upset those animal rights idiots.
pestsmart.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/CAT001_ground-shooting_web.pdf

Times have changed, OK, I'll have one of them rather than a Maglight.

Some feral cats get pretty big but a 243 is overkill, 65 grain hollow point minced them. Perhaps a .223 with 35 grain hollow point thin jacket.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print