Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Uber/GST (Read 1105 times)
Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Uber/GST
Feb 17th, 2017 at 2:33pm

You watch them implode now they have to get an ABN, collect and remit GST.  The field is slowly levelling.

Link.

Quote:
A legal challenge by Uber that would have seen its drivers exempt from paying GST has failed after a Federal Court ruling.
Key points:

In August 2015, the ATO ruled Uber drivers must pay GST, like taxis
    However, the ride-booking company launched a legal challenge
    The decision will not affect consumers, a driver says

At a hearing in Sydney today, the court ruled Uber provided a "taxi service" and must pay the tax, thereby ending an 18-month legal battle.

Uber said it was disappointed by the decision but would not comment on whether it was considering an appeal.

« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2017 at 4:25pm by Aussie »  

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Re: Uber/GST
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 4:18pm

The grubberment see a profit.

No point in standing in the way.

They smell money, its a gimme

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 8:07pm

Zero sympathy from  me.

Link.

It happens to Cabbies as well, but at least we have some security measures in place to minimise, as best we can, the threat.  Uber provides ZERO security for their drivers.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 8:15pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 20th, 2017 at 8:07pm:
Zero sympathy from  me.

Link.

It happens to Cabbies as well, but at least we have some security measures in place to minimise, as best we can, the threat.  Uber provides ZERO security for their drivers.

You're a nice bloke.

IBI

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 1:22pm

Uber prices will go up to meet the GST -  the customer pays. The drivers and UBER won't lose

Getting an ABN is simple and cheap.  All that happens now is that all those UBER drivers who would have previously had to pay for all the wear and tear on tyres, the car, fuel, etc now have a legal tax deduction!   I think the government may have shot themselves in the foot and wonder if the money in from GST will equal the money out in "business" costs of running an UBER car

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies
Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 1:27pm

Vic wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 1:22pm:
Uber prices will go up to meet the GST -  the customer pays. The drivers and UBER won't lose

Getting an ABN is simple and cheap.  All that happens now is that all those UBER drivers who would have previously had to pay for all the wear and tear on tyres, the car, fuel, etc now have a legal tax deduction!   I think the government may have shot themselves in the foot and wonder if the money in from GST will equal the money out in "business" costs of running an UBER car

Incorrect,  those expenses are claimable deductions on income tax.....they have always been able to do that.  This decision will have a retrospective effect as well.....those drivers will have to pay 10% (GST) of their 'gross take' from the time they began working, and of course, 'going forward.'

I anticipate the ATO will be raiding Uber HQ to get drivers' names, addresses, and income.  Uber has all of that because all payments are by way of credit card going through the system at Uber HQ.

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 4:10pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 17th, 2017 at 2:33pm:
You watch them implode now they have to get an ABN, collect and remit GST.  The field is slowly levelling

No issues with Uber having to remit GST via drivers and anyway - they've done what was needed - which was to start the breakup of the taxi cartels

As for the implosion, I think Uber and Lyft will take a hit. The real implosion will be the taxi companies and plate owners when driverless cars start to become commonplace and companies like Uber no longer need the driver in the equation.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 4:17pm

Quote:
The real implosion will be the taxi companies and plate owners when driverless cars start to become commonplace and companies like Uber no longer need the driver in the equation.

So...you reckon blokes like me (plate owner) would not also run a driverless car....(I doubt that will ever be allowed in the public transport sector?)  I'll bet trains can drive themselves, just planes can now fly themselves, but they are still fully crewed.

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 4:31pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 4:17pm:
So...you reckon blokes like me (plate owner) would not also run a driverless car....(I doubt that will ever be allowed in the public transport sector?)  I'll bet trains can drive themselves, just planes can now fly themselves, but they are still fully crewed.

Of course you can run one - but you won't need some special plate to do it. In fact - one of the true disruptions with driverless cars is the fact that anyone can "rent" their car out when they're not using it - just like Airbnb.

As for it not being allowed - it's already being trialed in several places around the world. While I can't say I've tried one - I've been on plenty of driverless trains and they work just fine. Sydney's new metro will be driverless too.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 4:33pm

Quote:
but you won't need some special plate to do it.

Ah.....yeas, but that is a brawl (now in the political arena) still in its infancy up here.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #10 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 4:41pm

Who would want to own a driverless car? Just call for one when needed. No parking fees!

But driverless cars won’t really take off until pedestrian and motor traffic are on different levels, then driverless cars can reach high speed including through intersections.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 5:02pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 4:41pm:
Who would want to own a driverless car? Just call for one when needed. No parking fees!

But driverless cars won’t really take off until pedestrian and motor traffic are on different levels, then driverless cars can reach high speed including through intersections.

Good point.  Fewer cars on the road.  Fewer cars owned.  Fewer cars Govt and corporations cannot grab cash (rego/insurance) from.  Good reason to keep the plate!

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #12 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 5:08pm

Yeah, a high quality car, some security features, could well be the car to rent.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 5:15pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 5:08pm:
Yeah, a high quality car, some security features, could well be the car to rent.

Government will want their cut to make up for their losses on rego.....with Licences they will issue.  I've already got one.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #14 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 5:21pm

Govt will save too, no need for traffic lights, traffic islands etc etc. Won’t even need to line mark.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #15 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 5:38pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 5:02pm:

Good point.  Fewer cars on the road.  Fewer cars owned.  Fewer cars Govt and corporations cannot grab cash (rego/insurance) from.  Good reason to keep the plate!

You're still thinking like a taxi driver. The plate is irrelevant.

Take a cab, unscrew the plates, take off the sign that says "taxi" and slap an Avis sticker on the window and what have you got? A car that you still rent, that still takes you places, except now it can come and pick you up.

Right now a taxi costs hundreds of dollars per day, while a rental costs me $50. So what happens when companies like Avis go driverless?

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #16 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 5:40pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 5:15pm:
Jovial Monk wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 5:08pm:

Government will want their cut to make up for their losses on rego.....with Licences they will issue.  I've already got one.

Rego numbers won't change a huge amount in the short term, but governments already have an interest in keeping car numbers down too, as well as in revenue from rego, so my guess is nothing will change in that area.

The big payoff will be in road safety. When driverless cars are common, the accident bill will reduce by hundreds of millions per year

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #17 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 5:50pm

Quote:
Take a cab, unscrew the plates, take off the sign that says "taxi" and slap an Avis sticker on the window and what have you got?

If only it were that simple.  Problem is ~ I have a plate which cost me hundreds of thousands of dollars paid by me to the Qld Govt.  It is a condition of ownership of that plate that I operate as a Taxi 24/7.  If I become an outlaw, I play right into the hands of Government which will say, 'Aussie, you are in breach of your plate conditions....it is cancelled.'  That saves them the fight we are lining up for.

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #18 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 7:33pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 5:50pm:
Quote:
Take a cab, unscrew the plates, take off the sign that says "taxi" and slap an Avis sticker on the window and what have you got?

If only it were that simple.  Problem is ~ I have a plate which cost me hundreds of thousands of dollars paid by me to the Qld Govt.  It is a condition of ownership of that plate that I operate as a Taxi 24/7.  If I become an outlaw, I play right into the hands of Government which will say, 'Aussie, you are in breach of your plate conditions....it is cancelled.'  That saves them the fight we are lining up for.

There's certainly no easy answer - but the technology is coming, whether people like it or not. In all likelyhood, the government will offer something similar to NSW - maybe $20k per plate, most people won't take it, and driverless tech will sweep in from all sides. Taxis will be forced to dramatically reduce fares or be pushed into a niche market (mostly likely as a premium "full service" limousine) with most taxi owners forced to retire their cabs from lack of patronage.

If I was a cabbie, or owned a plate, or I drove a truck (because that's coming too), I'd be getting the hell out now.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #19 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 7:41pm

Stig wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 7:33pm:
Quote:

There's certainly no easy answer - but the technology is coming, whether people like it or not. In all likelyhood, the government will offer something similar to NSW - maybe $20k per plate, most people won't take it, and driverless tech will sweep in from all sides. Taxis will be forced to dramatically reduce fares or be pushed into a niche market (mostly likely as a premium "full service" limousine) with most taxi owners forced to retire their cabs from lack of patronage.

If I was a cabbie, or owned a plate, or I drove a truck (because that's coming too), I'd be getting the hell out now.

Nah...we will fight for what is right.  Politically.  Watch this space at the next election in Qld.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #20 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 9:01pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 7:41pm:
Stig wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 7:33pm:
Quote:

Nah...we will fight for what is right.  Politically.  Watch this space at the next election in Qld.

Aussie wants to ban the smart phone.

IBI

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #21 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 7:19am

Gordon wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 9:01pm:
Aussie wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 7:41pm:
[quote author=Stig link=1487306020/18#18 date=1487669592][quote author=Aussie link=1487306020/17#17 date=1487663401]

Aussie wants to ban the smart phone.

Not sure about that - but the taxi industry is essentially fighting against a technology rather than a company - and that fight always goes one way.

So even if they win this round against ride-sharing and keep their over-regulation and sky-high cab fares, they're just playing into the hands of driverless technology.

The things that gets me is that cab companies don't seem to see how close this stuff is to reality.

Driverless car trials are running across the world. Every Tesla built today already has the sensor suite for full autonomous driving inbuilt - once the software has been perfected owners will simply download it. Quite a few car makers are saying that they'll have a self-driving car on the road within 5 years.

At that point - when the guy going to the pub for a afternoon's drink session or the disabled person heading out shopping don't need a taxi - the argument about ride-sharing, taxi plates and all this other stuff will be irrelevant
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2017 at 9:42am by Stig »  

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 8:13am

i think you're dreaming, driverless or not, most people will want their own.
I want my car when I need it, not when it becomes available.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #23 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 9:05am

When driverless cars are here culture will shift with it.

Same in places that have decent, FTTH, internet—i.e. not here Angry —managers originally do not want to let staff work from home but eventually the potential saving in office rental sees a shift in the culture. Already companies do hot desking.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #24 - Feb 23rd, 2017 at 9:50am

John Smith wrote on Feb 23rd, 2017 at 8:13am:

i think you're dreaming, driverless or not, most people will want their own.
I want my car when I need it, not when it becomes available.

It will likely depend where you live.

Inner-city people with limited parking will likely just use something like Go-Get (except the car will pick you up).
There'll be enough density of cars to get one quickly and the cost will be low enough - probably just a few $ per trip - that you won't bother owning your own car.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print