Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Uber/GST (Read 1146 times)
Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Uber/GST
Feb 17th, 2017 at 2:33pm

You watch them implode now they have to get an ABN, collect and remit GST.  The field is slowly levelling.

Link.

Quote:
A legal challenge by Uber that would have seen its drivers exempt from paying GST has failed after a Federal Court ruling.
Key points:

In August 2015, the ATO ruled Uber drivers must pay GST, like taxis
    However, the ride-booking company launched a legal challenge
    The decision will not affect consumers, a driver says

At a hearing in Sydney today, the court ruled Uber provided a "taxi service" and must pay the tax, thereby ending an 18-month legal battle.

Uber said it was disappointed by the decision but would not comment on whether it was considering an appeal.

« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2017 at 4:25pm by Aussie »  

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Re: Uber/GST
Reply #1 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 4:18pm

The grubberment see a profit.

No point in standing in the way.

They smell money, its a gimme

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 8:07pm

Zero sympathy from  me.

Link.

It happens to Cabbies as well, but at least we have some security measures in place to minimise, as best we can, the threat.  Uber provides ZERO security for their drivers.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 8:15pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 20th, 2017 at 8:07pm:
Zero sympathy from  me.

Link.

It happens to Cabbies as well, but at least we have some security measures in place to minimise, as best we can, the threat.  Uber provides ZERO security for their drivers.

You're a nice bloke.

IBI

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 1:22pm

Uber prices will go up to meet the GST -  the customer pays. The drivers and UBER won't lose

Getting an ABN is simple and cheap.  All that happens now is that all those UBER drivers who would have previously had to pay for all the wear and tear on tyres, the car, fuel, etc now have a legal tax deduction!   I think the government may have shot themselves in the foot and wonder if the money in from GST will equal the money out in "business" costs of running an UBER car

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies
Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 1:27pm

Vic wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 1:22pm:
Uber prices will go up to meet the GST -  the customer pays. The drivers and UBER won't lose

Getting an ABN is simple and cheap.  All that happens now is that all those UBER drivers who would have previously had to pay for all the wear and tear on tyres, the car, fuel, etc now have a legal tax deduction!   I think the government may have shot themselves in the foot and wonder if the money in from GST will equal the money out in "business" costs of running an UBER car

Incorrect,  those expenses are claimable deductions on income tax.....they have always been able to do that.  This decision will have a retrospective effect as well.....those drivers will have to pay 10% (GST) of their 'gross take' from the time they began working, and of course, 'going forward.'

I anticipate the ATO will be raiding Uber HQ to get drivers' names, addresses, and income.  Uber has all of that because all payments are by way of credit card going through the system at Uber HQ.

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 4:10pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 17th, 2017 at 2:33pm:
You watch them implode now they have to get an ABN, collect and remit GST.  The field is slowly levelling

No issues with Uber having to remit GST via drivers and anyway - they've done what was needed - which was to start the breakup of the taxi cartels

As for the implosion, I think Uber and Lyft will take a hit. The real implosion will be the taxi companies and plate owners when driverless cars start to become commonplace and companies like Uber no longer need the driver in the equation.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 4:17pm

Quote:
The real implosion will be the taxi companies and plate owners when driverless cars start to become commonplace and companies like Uber no longer need the driver in the equation.

So...you reckon blokes like me (plate owner) would not also run a driverless car....(I doubt that will ever be allowed in the public transport sector?)  I'll bet trains can drive themselves, just planes can now fly themselves, but they are still fully crewed.

IP Logged

Stig

>_<

Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 4:31pm

Aussie wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 4:17pm:
So...you reckon blokes like me (plate owner) would not also run a driverless car....(I doubt that will ever be allowed in the public transport sector?)  I'll bet trains can drive themselves, just planes can now fly themselves, but they are still fully crewed.

Of course you can run one - but you won't need some special plate to do it. In fact - one of the true disruptions with driverless cars is the fact that anyone can "rent" their car out when they're not using it - just like Airbnb.

As for it not being allowed - it's already being trialed in several places around the world. While I can't say I've tried one - I've been on plenty of driverless trains and they work just fine. Sydney's new metro will be driverless too.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 4:33pm

Quote:
but you won't need some special plate to do it.

Ah.....yeas, but that is a brawl (now in the political arena) still in its infancy up here.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #10 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 4:41pm

Who would want to own a driverless car? Just call for one when needed. No parking fees!

But driverless cars won’t really take off until pedestrian and motor traffic are on different levels, then driverless cars can reach high speed including through intersections.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 5:02pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 4:41pm:
Who would want to own a driverless car? Just call for one when needed. No parking fees!

But driverless cars won’t really take off until pedestrian and motor traffic are on different levels, then driverless cars can reach high speed including through intersections.

Good point.  Fewer cars on the road.  Fewer cars owned.  Fewer cars Govt and corporations cannot grab cash (rego/insurance) from.  Good reason to keep the plate!

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #12 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 5:08pm

Yeah, a high quality car, some security features, could well be the car to rent.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 5:15pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Feb 21st, 2017 at 5:08pm:
Yeah, a high quality car, some security features, could well be the car to rent.

Government will want their cut to make up for their losses on rego.....with Licences they will issue.  I've already got one.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #14 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 5:21pm

Govt will save too, no need for traffic lights, traffic islands etc etc. Won’t even need to line mark.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print