Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Centre of the Universe (Read 15814 times)
issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Centre of the Universe
Feb 13th, 2017 at 9:09pm

Its me, right? Just kidding. We all perceive the universe from our centre. This is yet another subject without a suitable Forum.
The BBC today had this on the matter:

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20170210-how-the-universe-can-expand-if-there-is-...

All very interesting, and a better explanation is here:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/centre.html

But of course, they both go nowhere. It might be of some use to stop talking about an expanding universe, because that implies a centre. If there is no centre, expansion is a bad definition of the apparant movement of bodies away from each other.

Another problem for my puny intellect is this reference to the expansion of space along with the universe. Greater minds than mine, will be able to explain how nothing can expand to increase the amount of nothing.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Centre of the Universe
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 9:43pm

There is no center of the universe.

Each point in the universe looks similar to any other point -

we would see all other distant galaxies receding away.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 9:54pm

If the universe is expanding, there is no such thing as a point which implies a static location.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/point

Quote:
point  (point)
n.
1. A sharp or tapered end: the point of a knife; the point of the antenna.
2. An object having a sharp or tapered end: a stone projectile point.
3. A tapering extension of land projecting into water; a peninsula, cape, or promontory.
4. A mark formed by or as if by a sharp end.
5. A mark or dot used in printing or writing for punctuation, especially a period.
6. A decimal point.
7. Linguistics A vowel point.
8. One of the protruding marks used in certain methods of writing and printing for the blind.
9. Mathematics
a. A dimensionless geometric object having no properties except location.
b. An element in a geometrically described set.
a. A place or locality considered with regard to its position: connections to Chicago and points west.
b. A narrowly particularized and localized position or place; a spot: The troops halted at a point roughly 1,000 yards from the river.
11. A specified degree, condition, or limit, as in a scale or course: the melting point of a substance.
a. Any of the 32 equal divisions marked at the circumference of a mariner's compass card that indicate direction.
b. The interval of 11°15′ between any two adjacent markings.
a. A distinct condition or degree: finally reached the point of exhaustion.
b. The interval of time immediately before a given occurrence; the verge: on the point of resignation; at the point of death.
14. A specific moment in time: At this point, we are ready to proceed.
15. An objective or purpose to be reached or achieved, or one that is worth reaching or achieving: What is the point of discussing this issue further?
16. The major idea or essential part of a concept or narrative: You have missed the whole point of the novel.
17. A significant, outstanding, or effective idea, argument, or suggestion: Your point is well taken.
18. A separate, distinguishing item or element; a detail: Diplomacy is certainly not one of his strong points. Your weak point is your constant need for approval.
19. A quality or characteristic that is important or distinctive, especially a standard characteristic used to judge an animal.
20. A single unit, as in counting, rating, or measuring.
a. A unit of academic credit usually equal to one hour of class work per week during one semester.
b. A numerical unit of academic achievement equal to a letter grade.
22. Sports & Games A unit of scoring or counting.
a. A unit equal to one dollar, used to quote or state variations in the current prices of stocks or commodities.
b. A unit equal to one percent, used to quote or state interest rates or shares in gross profits.
24. One percent of the total principal of a loan, paid up front to the lender and considered separately from the interest.
25. Music A phrase, such as a fugue subject, in contrapuntal music.
26. Printing A unit of type size equal to 0.01384 inch, or approximately 1/72 of an inch.
27. A jeweler's unit of weight equal to 2 milligrams or 0.01 carat.
a. The act or an instance of pointing.
b. The stiff and attentive stance taken by a hunting dog.
a. A reconnaissance or patrol unit that moves ahead of an advance party or guard, or that follows a rear guard.
b. The position occupied by such a unit or guard: A team of Rangers were walking point at the outset of the operation.
30. Sports
a. Either of two positions in ice hockey just inside the offensive zone near the boards, usually assumed by defenders attempting to keep the puck in the offensive zone.
b. Basketball A position in the forecourt beyond the top of the key, usually taken by the point guard.
c. In women's lacrosse, a defensive player who marks the opponent playing nearest to the goal (the first home).
a. An electrical contact, especially one in the distributor of an automobile engine.
b. Chiefly British An electrical socket or outlet.
32. points The extremities of an animal, such as a cat or horse, especially when they differ in color from the rest of the coat.
a. A movable rail, tapered at the end, such as that used in a railroad switch.
b. The vertex of the angle created by the intersection of rails in a frog or switch.
34. A ribbon or cord with a metal tag at the end, used to fasten clothing in the 16th and 17th centuries.
v. point·ed, point·ing, points
v.tr.
1. To direct or aim: point a weapon. See Synonyms at aim.
2. To bring (something) to notice: pointed out an error in their reasoning.
3. To indicate the position or direction of: pointed out the oldest buildings on the skyline.
4. To sharpen (a pencil, for example); provide with a point.
5. To separate with decimal points: pointing off the hundredths place in a column of figures.
6. To mark (text) with points; punctuate.
7. Linguistics To mark (a consonant) with a vowel point.
8. To give emphasis to; stress: comments that simply point up flawed reasoning.
9. To indicate the presence and position of (game) by standing immobile and directing the muzzle toward it. Used of a hunting dog.
10. To fill and finish the joints of (masonry) with cement or mortar.
v.intr.
1. To direct attention or indicate position with or as if with the finger.
2. To turn the mind or thought in a particular direction or to a particular conclusion: All indications point to an early spring.
3. To be turned or faced ...
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2017 at 10:06pm by Unforgiven »  

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 10:26pm

The big bang is widely accepted now and all evidence seems to support that, everything in the universe is moving away from everything else at an ever increasing velocity as far as we know, it is an ever expanding universe, my prediction is it will slow and gravity will draw everything back in to another big bang.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 11:10pm

Johnnie wrote on Feb 13th, 2017 at 10:26pm:
The big bang is widely accepted now and all evidence seems to support that, everything in the universe is moving away from everything else at an ever increasing velocity as far as we know, it is an ever expanding universe, my prediction is it will slow and gravity will draw everything back in to another big bang.

How could the expansion be accelerating if there is no motive force? If it were increasing at "an ever increasing velocity" what happens when the speed of light is approached and exceeded? Everything goes black?

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 11:44pm

Unforgiven wrote on Feb 13th, 2017 at 11:10pm:

How could the expansion be accelerating if there is no motive force? If it were increasing at "an ever increasing velocity" what happens when the speed of light is approached and exceeded? Everything goes black?

I imagine its like a big balloon, or bomb going off in front of your face, it accelerates.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 1:10am

Johnnie wrote on Feb 13th, 2017 at 11:44pm:

I imagine its like a big balloon, or bomb going off in front of your face, it accelerates.

Jeez that's real dumb.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 5:14am

LOL

It is all just another human supposition, in an effort to try to explain our existence and self awareness - without involving any necessity for the existence of a creator.

Q.
Is there any scientific evidence, which supports this 'scientific' hypothesis ?

A.
No. The hypothesis of how the universe came into existence, is a theorem,       and that is all.

And yet, that hypothesis is the best 'scientific' explanation which human minds can offer;

Google;
scientific theory, nothing, exploded into everything

Google;
scientific theory, in a moment, the universe appeared from nothing

Yadda said....
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1304543494/253#253
Quote:

One moment, no universe.

The next, there is a BIG BANG [which was cause by, NOTHING] and then we have a universe.

It sounds like a magic trick to me.

......Do you believe in magic ?

+++

Yadda explains the [accepted by scientists] BIG BANG theory;

THIS IS WHAT IS TAUGHT TO CHILDREN IN SCHOOLS;

All matter was once compressed into the size of a full-stop-dot, like the one at the end of this sentence >>> . <<<

And then there was an explosion of that matter [i.e. the BIG BANG], which resulted in our present universe of stars and planets.

The material from that explosion [of nothing] then coalesced and was drawn together to form the stars and planets in our universe.

On earth, the molten rocks cooled, life evolved [from what was once those molten rocks!], and here we all are, ...the masters of the universe!
LOL

Here is a nice BIG BANG theory quote from a science article [purporting to be fact] published in that reputable 'science' magazine, 'Discover';

Google it;

"...The universe burst into something from absolutely nothing - zero, nada. And as it got bigger, it became filled with even more stuff that came from absolutely nowhere."

Alan Guth, Discover magazine April 2002

Quote:
......Start, Guth says, by imagining nothing, a pure vacuum. Be careful. Don't imagine outer space without matter in it. Imagine no space at all and no matter at all. Good luck.

To the average person it might seem obvious that nothing can happen in nothing. But to a quantum physicist, nothing is, in fact, something. Quantum theory holds that probability, not absolutes, rules any physical system. It is impossible, even in principle, to predict the behavior of any single atom; all physicists can do is predict the average properties of a large collection of atoms. Quantum theory also holds that a vacuum, like atoms, is subject to quantum uncertainties. This means that things can materialize out of the vacuum, although they tend to vanish back into it quickly. While this phenomenon has never been observed directly, measurements of the electron's magnetic strength strongly imply that it is real and happening in the vacuum of space even now.

Theoretically, anything—a dog, a house, a planet—can pop into existence by means of this quantum quirk, which physicists call a vacuum fluctuation. Probability, however, dictates that pairs of subatomic particles—one positive, one negative, so that conservation laws are not violated—are by far the most likely creations and that they will last extremely briefly, typically for only 10-21 second. The spontaneous, persistent creation of something even as large as a molecule is profoundly unlikely.

http://discovermagazine.com/2002/apr/cover#.UNA9tCyDFpg

Its a 'magic' show folks!
           Grin           Grin           Grin

Tickets!  Tickets!    $10 a ticket!

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 6:42am

Johnnie wrote on Feb 13th, 2017 at 11:44pm:

The Balloon and Explosion concepts both have a centre. So where is it?

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #9 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 5:47pm

Rubbish - the expansion is accelerating.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #10 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 6:21pm

Bobby. wrote on Feb 14th, 2017 at 5:47pm:

Bobby, your dementia is accelerating.

You cannot have acceleration without a force. Why has such a force not been detected or hypothesized?

In fact, gravitational attraction could be slowing the expansion and should eventually, in trillions of years, cause a reversal of expansion.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #11 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 6:23pm

Unforgiven wrote on Feb 14th, 2017 at 6:21pm:

You cannot have acceleration without a force. Why has such a force not been detected or hypothesized?

In fact, gravitational attraction could be slowing the expansion and should eventually, in trillions of years, cause a reversal of expansion.

The scientists who proved the expansion is accelerating won a Noble prize.

You can check it out on Goggle - you ignoramus.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #12 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 6:54pm

Bobby. wrote on Feb 14th, 2017 at 6:23pm:
Unforgiven wrote on Feb 14th, 2017 at 6:21pm:

The scientists who proved the expansion is accelerating won a Noble prize.

You can check it out on Goggle - you ignoramus.

Bobby, you are a prime dill, and a plaything of propagandists.

There is research that demonstrates it is not accelerating deduced from a larger dataset than was used the study claiming acceleration.

The evidence for acceleration does not meet the criteria for significance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerating_expansion_of_the_universe

Quote:
Evidence against accelerating expansion[edit]
A 2016 report from Oxford University's Department of Physics and the Niels Bohr Institute in Copenhagen working with a much larger data set has cast doubt upon the arguments for accelerated expansion.[31] Sarkar comments:[32]
The discovery of the accelerating expansion of the universe won the Nobel Prize, the Gruber Cosmology Prize, and the Breakthrough Prize in Fundamental Physics. It led to the widespread acceptance of the idea that the universe is dominated by "dark energy" that behaves like a cosmological constant – this is now the "standard model" of cosmology... However, there now exists a much bigger database of supernovae on which to perform rigorous and detailed statistical analyses. We analysed the latest catalogue of 740 Type Ia supernovae – over ten times bigger than the original samples on which the discovery claim was based – and found that the evidence for accelerated expansion is, at most, what physicists call "3 sigma". This is far short of the 5 sigma standard required to claim a discovery of fundamental significance.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #13 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 7:16pm

3 sigma was enough for a Nobel prize.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #14 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 8:33pm

Well, I have to say I am really impressed. You are all so bloody sure of yourselves when nobody else is. Awesome!

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #15 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 10:13am

issuevoter wrote on Feb 13th, 2017 at 9:09pm:
Its me, right? Just kidding. We all perceive the universe from our centre. This is yet another subject without a suitable Forum.
The BBC today had this on the matter:

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20170210-how-the-universe-can-expand-if-there-is-...

All very interesting, and a better explanation is here:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/centre.html

But of course, they both go nowhere. It might be of some use to stop talking about an expanding universe, because that implies a centre. If there is no centre, expansion is a bad definition of the apparant movement of bodies away from each other.

Another problem for my puny intellect is this reference to the expansion of space along with the universe. Greater minds than mine, will be able to explain how nothing can expand to increase the amount of nothing.

There is the problem, for some anyway, of how something can come from nothing. It calls into disrepute the 'big bang theory', which I believe has been influenced too much by Abrahamic religions, whereby they posit a beginning and an end (it also calls into question 'progressive' political and moral ideas). The Hindus were ahead of the game here, referring to the cyclic nature of existence.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #16 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 11:25am

Dark energy is the current hypothesis

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #17 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 11:27am

And once again Yadda shows he knows diddly squat about science.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #18 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 4:09pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Feb 15th, 2017 at 11:25am:

Correct - dark energy accounts for 68% of the Universe's energy.

https://science.nasa.gov/astrophysics/focus-areas/what-is-dark-energy

What Is Dark Energy?

More is unknown than is known. We know how much dark energy there is because we know how it affects the universe's expansion. Other than that, it is a complete mystery. But it is an important mystery. It turns out that roughly 68% of the universe is dark energy. Dark matter makes up about 27%. The rest - everything on Earth, everything ever observed with all of our instruments, all normal matter - adds up to less than 5% of the universe. Come to think of it, maybe it shouldn't be called "normal" matter at all, since it is such a small fraction of the universe.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #19 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 5:23pm

Bobby. wrote on Feb 15th, 2017 at 4:09pm:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Feb 15th, 2017 at 11:25am:

Correct - dark energy accounts for 68% of the Universe's energy.

https://science.nasa.gov/astrophysics/focus-areas/what-is-dark-energy

What Is Dark Energy?

More is unknown than is known. We know how much dark energy there is because we know how it affects the universe's expansion. Other than that, it is a complete mystery. But it is an important mystery. It turns out that roughly 68% of the universe is dark energy. Dark matter makes up about 27%. The rest - everything on Earth, everything ever observed with all of our instruments, all normal matter - adds up to less than 5% of the universe. Come to think of it, maybe it shouldn't be called "normal" matter at all, since it is such a small fraction of the universe.

68% percent of infinity would be, lets see . . . . . .  running out of fingers here.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Feb 16th, 2017 at 12:29pm

Issuevoter, you original question is one of many which mankind has pondered since he started walking upright and looked up into the wondrous night sky. One could take Yaddas approach and put everything down to god and he maybe right, science is striving for answers.
Matter is made up of atoms and atoms are 99.9999999% empty space, including us.
A neutron star is about 20 kilometers across and has 200 billion times more gravity than earth, the empty space has been squashed out of it from the way I read it.
Gravity really sucks and now my head hurts.
Since the ever expanding universe at an ever increasing velocity and the big bang theory has not been disproven that will do me.
As for what created matter then what created that.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #21 - Feb 16th, 2017 at 9:39pm

Johnnie wrote on Feb 16th, 2017 at 12:29pm:
Issuevoter, you original question is one of many which mankind has pondered since he started walking upright and looked up into the wondrous night sky. One could take Yaddas approach and put everything down to god and he maybe right, science is striving for answers.
A neutron star is about 20 kilometers across and has 200 billion times more gravity than earth, the empty space has been squashed out of it from the way I read it.
Since the ever expanding universe at an ever increasing velocity and the big bang theory has not been disproven that will do me.

My original question was an aside. More nothing out of nothing. People who talk this way, expect everyone to know that when they say space, it doesn't mean space any more.

Yadda's most significant contribution is his opening Text which is LOL

"LOL It is all just another human supposition, in an effort to try to explain our existence and self awareness - without involving any necessity for the existence of a creator."

The problem with Yadda's  Laugh Out Loud is its arrogance. Science cannot be said to not exist. As such, it is part of any universe, creationist included. Yadda is not quite sharp enough to realise that science may actually prove creation, and therefore he, and the rest of the God Freaks, would do well to stop being so smug.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 2:37am

I have read what you have said three times and I still don't get what you are saying, I understand the LOL put down stuff, water of a ducks back banter, its just the rest I don't understand.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 3:08am

issuevoter wrote on Feb 16th, 2017 at 9:39pm:

My original question was an aside. More nothing out of nothing. People who talk this way, expect everyone to know that when they say space, it doesn't mean space any more.

"LOL It is all just another human supposition, in an effort to try to explain our existence and self awareness - without involving any necessity for the existence of a creator."

The problem with Yadda's  Laugh Out Loud is its arrogance. Science cannot be said to not exist. As such, it is part of any universe, creationist included. Yadda is not quite sharp enough to realise that science may actually prove creation, and therefore he, and the rest of the God Freaks, would do well to stop being so smug.

Please explain how your original question was an aside and nothing more than nothing out of nothing, strewth. wasted time.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #24 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 4:56am

Lawrence Krauss has his ideas.

Quote:
Lawrence Maxwell Krauss (born 27 May 1954) is an American theoretical physicist and cosmologist who is Foundation Professor of the School of Earth and Space Exploration at Arizona State University, and director of its Origins Project.[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_M._Krauss

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #25 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 7:28am

Johnnie wrote on Feb 17th, 2017 at 3:08am:
issuevoter wrote on Feb 16th, 2017 at 9:39pm:

Please explain how your original question was an aside and nothing more than nothing out of nothing, strewth. wasted time.

I don't think of your time as wasted. The overall discussion so far, has been quite interesting, even if it goes nowhere. An expanding Universe observed and calculated is always interesting. I just cannot take seriously the consideration of nothing as something.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #26 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 9:09am

Setanta wrote on Feb 17th, 2017 at 4:56am:

Quote:
Lawrence Maxwell Krauss (born 27 May 1954) is an American theoretical physicist and cosmologist who is Foundation Professor of the School of Earth and Space Exploration at Arizona State University, and director of its Origins Project.[2]

Thanks for this video. I listened, as carefully as I was able, to what Krauss had to say. Very early on, I found myself needing to have points clarified, but that is true in most technical and mathematical discussions.
I still feel that he, representing the latest thoughts on physics, is rather loose with important words. This looseness makes assumptions about the perception of the audience, and God Freaks do this all the time.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 5:57pm

Setanta wrote on Feb 17th, 2017 at 4:56am:

Quote:

That was a long lecture, I only nodded off a couple of times. My take on it is their is one atom per cubic meter of space combined with dark energy. The bozon collider, dubbed the god machine has created a collision of protons which in turn created other stuff.
Their lies the beginning of the universe. Problem solved.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #28 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 6:59pm

Johnnie wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 5:57pm:
... Their lies...

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:48pm

The recent discovery of gravity waves as theorized by Einstein are said to have come from the big bang.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #30 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 9:57pm

Johnnie wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:48pm:
The recent discovery of gravity waves as theorized by Einstein are said to have come from the big bang.

Like "nothing," the "big bang" is probably an unfortunate choice of words, but it is not just gravitational waves that originate in the so called BB.

I do realise this subject bores a lot of people. I watched that video twice, and I intend giving a third go, and I think I will then understand the lecture, not the subject.

One of the most interesting points I got out of it, is that there will be no stars in anyone's sky when expansion reaches the critical speed. Thus making future cosmology a bit difficult.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 10:53pm

issuevoter wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 9:57pm:

Like "nothing," the "big bang" is probably an unfortunate choice of words, but it is not just gravitational waves that originate in the so called BB.

I do realise this subject bores a lot of people. I watched that video twice, and I intend giving a third go, and I think I will then understand the lecture, not the subject.

One of the most interesting points I got out of it, is that there will be no stars in anyone's sky when expansion reaches the critical speed. Thus making future cosmology a bit difficult.

He was saying the universe has a measurable weight.(because their is one atom per cubic meter) when atoms collide they make other stuff, proven., gravity pulled all that stuff together and made a big bang and all the elements were created from protons neutrons and electrons being subject to immense gravity,, BOOM.
They say the big bang is 10 billion years after the universe began.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 11:09pm

Johnnie wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 10:53pm:

He was saying the universe has a measurable weight.(because their is one atom per cubic meter) when atoms collide they make other stuff, proven., gravity pulled all that stuff together and made a big bang and all the elements were created from protons neutrons and electrons being subject to immense gravity,, BOOM.

The nearest star we see is one light year away, the way the universe is expanding, in a billion years time mankind will only know our own galaxy exists because the rest of the universe is to far away, the lecturer said, stands to reason.
Gravity will win and their will be another big bang, mark my words.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #33 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 6:17am

Johnnie wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 11:09pm:

The nearest star we see is one light year away, the way the universe is expanding, in a billion years time mankind will only know our own galaxy exists because the rest of the universe is to far away, the lecturer said, stands to reason.

Duly marked.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #34 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 6:25am

The nearest star we see is 4 light years away.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #35 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 8:30am

Proxima Centauri is over 4 light years away

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 6:46pm

I was just testing you lot to make sure you were paying attention, I am trying to get my google machine to tell me where atoms come from.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #37 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 9:21pm

Unlikely.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #38 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 9:25pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Feb 20th, 2017 at 8:30am:

It's a bit more than 4 light years.

Even if the Voyager space craft were aimed there it would
take 70,000 years to reach it.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 9:52pm

Bobby. wrote on Feb 20th, 2017 at 9:25pm:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Feb 20th, 2017 at 8:30am:

It's a bit more than 4 light years.

Even if the Voyager space craft were aimed there it would
take 70,000 years to reach it.

I hear in 20,000yrs it is programmed to be in orbit around a star in the middle of our galaxy with a star chart on board of where we are, and a cd of a baby crying and other stuff.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #40 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 9:55pm

Johnnie wrote on Feb 20th, 2017 at 9:52pm:
I hear in 20,000yrs it is programmed to be in orbit around a star in the middle of our galaxy with a star chart on board of where we are, and a cd of a baby crying and other stuff.

No - the 2 Voyager spacecraft aren't aimed at any nearby star.

It would take 70,000 years to reach even the nearest star if they were.

Space is a very large place - larger than we can imagine.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 10:05pm

Bobby. wrote on Feb 20th, 2017 at 9:55pm:

Isnt voyager 1 headed to to the place I mentioned with the stuff on board I mentioned.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #42 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 10:05pm

Johnnie wrote on Feb 20th, 2017 at 10:05pm:

Isnt voyager 1 headed to to the place I mentioned with the stuff on board I mentioned.

No - that's science fiction.

It has a record but no one will ever listen to it.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 10:10pm

Bobby. wrote on Feb 20th, 2017 at 10:05pm:

Does voyager 2 have anything on board to that effect, where is voyager 1 going then.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #44 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 10:15pm

Johnnie wrote on Feb 20th, 2017 at 10:10pm:

Does voyager 2 have anything on board to that effect, where is voyager 1 going then.

Google it -
they are both headed to the middle of nowhere.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #45 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 10:23pm

Bobby. wrote on Feb 20th, 2017 at 10:15pm:
Johnnie wrote on Feb 20th, 2017 at 10:10pm:

Google it -
they are both headed to the middle of nowhere.

Yep, that sounds like google to me, middle of nowhere, they do have these cd,s on board and they are going to a pre determined destination, cosmic man.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #46 - Feb 21st, 2017 at 6:37am

If I remember correctly, that record in Chuck Berry doing "Johnny B. Goode." An excellent choice.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #47 - May 29th, 2017 at 8:34pm

A Scientist will tell you that the
Earth is NOT the centre of the Universe
and he/she is 'right'.

A Spiritualist will tell you that the
Earth is the centre of OUR Universe
and he/she is also 'right'.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - May 30th, 2017 at 4:22pm

Jasin wrote on May 29th, 2017 at 8:34pm:
and he/she is 'right'.

The scientists ARE right.
The spiritualists have a view point.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #49 - Jun 4th, 2017 at 7:41pm

Johnnie wrote on May 30th, 2017 at 4:22pm:
Jasin wrote on May 29th, 2017 at 8:34pm:
and he/she is 'right'.

The scientists ARE right.
The spiritualists have a view point.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #50 - Jun 4th, 2017 at 7:42pm

Thus you have both Science and Spirituality and their right to be 'true'.

Science, thinking that it 'knows all',
is like someone using only the 'left' side of the brain.
Wink

catch my drift

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Jun 4th, 2017 at 8:13pm

Jasin wrote on Jun 4th, 2017 at 7:42pm:
Thus you have both Science and Spirituality and their right to be 'true'.

Science, thinking that it 'knows all',
is like someone using only the 'left' side of the brain.
Wink

catch my drift

Science comes under a lot of scrutiny, the spiritualists can not agree on anything, that's my drift.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #52 - Jun 5th, 2017 at 8:55pm

your drift is respected.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #53 - Jun 11th, 2017 at 1:21pm

You heard wrong
Voyager 1 will pass within 1.7 light years of a star 17.6 light years from Earth in 40,000 years.

Voyager 2 will pass within 4.3 light years of the bright star Sirius in 296,000 years

The disc on Voyager is a gold phonograph record which has various sounds and images encoded. None of which are a baby crying.

So basically the only thing you got right was about the star chart

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Jun 11th, 2017 at 5:20pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Jun 11th, 2017 at 1:21pm:

You heard wrong
Voyager 1 will pass within 1.7 light years of a star 17.6 light years from Earth in 40,000 years.

Voyager 2 will pass within 4.3 light years of the bright star Sirius in 296,000 years

The disc on Voyager is a gold phonograph record which has various sounds and images encoded. None of which are a baby crying.

So basically the only thing you got right was about the star chart

I was only 20,000yrs out, not even the blink of an eye in cosmological terms, my point was in reply to a poster who stated voyager was heading to the middle of nowhere whereas it in fact it is heading to a pre determined destination. It gives me some sort of comfort to know we will be out there long after we are gone.
There IS a recording of a baby crying and it comes under mother and baby, on google.
Two out of three aint bad.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #55 - Jun 11th, 2017 at 11:04pm

I'm pretty sure both Voyagers will be back on earth in Museums 200 years from now.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #56 - Jun 11th, 2017 at 11:21pm

Quote:
..............Today astronomers believe that there is no centre to the cosmos. You might think that there must be a central point – after all, the Big Bang must have started somewhere? While great explosions of say, a bomb, do start from one point, the Big Bang that is believed to have created our Universe nearly 14 billion years ago was a different matter entirely and appeared to happen everywhere all at once – time and space did not exist before the Big Bang and so there was no point from where it could have erupted from.

This does not mean that, if we were to see to the very edges of the Universe, that there would be more of it on one side of the Earth in comparison to the other. Imagine if you were small enough to stand on a balloon – small enough to see in a straight line across the balloon’s surface. You’re not able to see into or out of the balloon and, no matter which direction you look, the end of the balloon seems to be at roughly the same distance from you. If you start moving across the balloon’s surface, it would appear that you were at the centre of it. The reality of the matter is, however, that your two-dimensional balloon does not have a centre. ..........

https://www.spaceanswers.com/deep-space/if-the-universe-is-expanding-why-are-we-...

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #57 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 12:54pm

Johnnie wrote on Jun 11th, 2017 at 5:20pm:
I was only 20,000yrs out, not even the blink of an eye in cosmological terms, my point was in reply to a poster who stated voyager was heading to the middle of nowhere whereas it in fact it is heading to a pre determined destination.

You are also 1.7 light years out.
It is not going into orbit around any star
It is not heading to a predetermined destination

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #58 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 9:05pm

[quote author=dinosaurD link=1486984158/25#25 date=1487280521]

I just cannot take seriously the consideration of nothing as something.

[/quote]

But what if effect precedes cause? When scientists started studying the quantum world they noticed that the laws of physics didn't seem to apply. So this lead to a thought experiment called retrocausality.

Essentially whether or not the future can affect the present or the present can affect the past.

For years this was just a thought experiment. Then in 2012 the University of Vienna conducted a real world demonstration of retrocausality.

In the quantum world two particles are either quantum entangled or not. Like Schrodinger's cat it's not until you "open the box" that you see what state the particles are in.

In the Vienna demonstration one person makes the decision as to whether to entangle them or not, and another pair of people measure the particles to see whether they're entangled or not.

Here's the thing, the measurement is made before the decision is made, and it is accurate. "Classical correlations can be decided after they are measured," says Xiao-song Ma, the writer of the study. Entanglement can be created "after the entangled particles have been measured and may no longer exist."

The Big Bang is the cause and the Universe is the effect. But does this experiment render causality an irrelevant concept?
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2017 at 9:11pm by Raven »  

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #59 - Jun 12th, 2017 at 11:10pm

I reckon the Big Bang Theory is all WRONG.
As for most 'Theories'.

Considering the nature of all these Theories is based upon a world that has been using just half of its brain (purely just northern hemisphere based) for so long, it kinda beckons the call for 'half-wit'.

Until the 'Golden Age' where the Southern Hemisphere is brought up to scratch and the Northern Hemisphere recedes. Everything until then is ....SOOOOO EFFIN WRONG!
In fact, I reckon its the absolute REVERSE.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print