Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Centre of the Universe (Read 15816 times)
Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Re: Centre of the Universe
Reply #15 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 10:13am

issuevoter wrote on Feb 13th, 2017 at 9:09pm:
Its me, right? Just kidding. We all perceive the universe from our centre. This is yet another subject without a suitable Forum.
The BBC today had this on the matter:

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20170210-how-the-universe-can-expand-if-there-is-...

All very interesting, and a better explanation is here:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/centre.html

But of course, they both go nowhere. It might be of some use to stop talking about an expanding universe, because that implies a centre. If there is no centre, expansion is a bad definition of the apparant movement of bodies away from each other.

Another problem for my puny intellect is this reference to the expansion of space along with the universe. Greater minds than mine, will be able to explain how nothing can expand to increase the amount of nothing.

There is the problem, for some anyway, of how something can come from nothing. It calls into disrepute the 'big bang theory', which I believe has been influenced too much by Abrahamic religions, whereby they posit a beginning and an end (it also calls into question 'progressive' political and moral ideas). The Hindus were ahead of the game here, referring to the cyclic nature of existence.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #16 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 11:25am

Unforgiven wrote on Feb 13th, 2017 at 11:10pm:
Johnnie wrote on Feb 13th, 2017 at 10:26pm:
The big bang is widely accepted now and all evidence seems to support that, everything in the universe is moving away from everything else at an ever increasing velocity as far as we know, it is an ever expanding universe, my prediction is it will slow and gravity will draw everything back in to another big bang.

How could the expansion be accelerating if there is no motive force? If it were increasing at "an ever increasing velocity" what happens when the speed of light is approached and exceeded? Everything goes black?

Dark energy is the current hypothesis

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #17 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 11:27am

And once again Yadda shows he knows diddly squat about science.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #18 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 4:09pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Feb 15th, 2017 at 11:25am:
The big bang is widely accepted now and all evidence seems to support that, everything in the universe is moving away from everything else at an ever increasing velocity as far as we know, it is an ever expanding universe, my prediction is it will slow and gravity will draw everything back in to another big bang.

How could the expansion be accelerating if there is no motive force? If it were increasing at "an ever increasing velocity" what happens when the speed of light is approached and exceeded? Everything goes black?

Correct - dark energy accounts for 68% of the Universe's energy.

https://science.nasa.gov/astrophysics/focus-areas/what-is-dark-energy

What Is Dark Energy?

More is unknown than is known. We know how much dark energy there is because we know how it affects the universe's expansion. Other than that, it is a complete mystery. But it is an important mystery. It turns out that roughly 68% of the universe is dark energy. Dark matter makes up about 27%. The rest - everything on Earth, everything ever observed with all of our instruments, all normal matter - adds up to less than 5% of the universe. Come to think of it, maybe it shouldn't be called "normal" matter at all, since it is such a small fraction of the universe.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #19 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 5:23pm

Bobby. wrote on Feb 15th, 2017 at 4:09pm:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Feb 15th, 2017 at 11:25am:

Correct - dark energy accounts for 68% of the Universe's energy.

https://science.nasa.gov/astrophysics/focus-areas/what-is-dark-energy

What Is Dark Energy?

More is unknown than is known. We know how much dark energy there is because we know how it affects the universe's expansion. Other than that, it is a complete mystery. But it is an important mystery. It turns out that roughly 68% of the universe is dark energy. Dark matter makes up about 27%. The rest - everything on Earth, everything ever observed with all of our instruments, all normal matter - adds up to less than 5% of the universe. Come to think of it, maybe it shouldn't be called "normal" matter at all, since it is such a small fraction of the universe.

68% percent of infinity would be, lets see . . . . . .  running out of fingers here.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Feb 16th, 2017 at 12:29pm

Issuevoter, you original question is one of many which mankind has pondered since he started walking upright and looked up into the wondrous night sky. One could take Yaddas approach and put everything down to god and he maybe right, science is striving for answers.
Matter is made up of atoms and atoms are 99.9999999% empty space, including us.
A neutron star is about 20 kilometers across and has 200 billion times more gravity than earth, the empty space has been squashed out of it from the way I read it.
Gravity really sucks and now my head hurts.
Since the ever expanding universe at an ever increasing velocity and the big bang theory has not been disproven that will do me.
As for what created matter then what created that.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #21 - Feb 16th, 2017 at 9:39pm

Johnnie wrote on Feb 16th, 2017 at 12:29pm:
Issuevoter, you original question is one of many which mankind has pondered since he started walking upright and looked up into the wondrous night sky. One could take Yaddas approach and put everything down to god and he maybe right, science is striving for answers.
A neutron star is about 20 kilometers across and has 200 billion times more gravity than earth, the empty space has been squashed out of it from the way I read it.
Since the ever expanding universe at an ever increasing velocity and the big bang theory has not been disproven that will do me.

My original question was an aside. More nothing out of nothing. People who talk this way, expect everyone to know that when they say space, it doesn't mean space any more.

Yadda's most significant contribution is his opening Text which is LOL

"LOL It is all just another human supposition, in an effort to try to explain our existence and self awareness - without involving any necessity for the existence of a creator."

The problem with Yadda's  Laugh Out Loud is its arrogance. Science cannot be said to not exist. As such, it is part of any universe, creationist included. Yadda is not quite sharp enough to realise that science may actually prove creation, and therefore he, and the rest of the God Freaks, would do well to stop being so smug.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 2:37am

I have read what you have said three times and I still don't get what you are saying, I understand the LOL put down stuff, water of a ducks back banter, its just the rest I don't understand.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 3:08am

issuevoter wrote on Feb 16th, 2017 at 9:39pm:

My original question was an aside. More nothing out of nothing. People who talk this way, expect everyone to know that when they say space, it doesn't mean space any more.

"LOL It is all just another human supposition, in an effort to try to explain our existence and self awareness - without involving any necessity for the existence of a creator."

The problem with Yadda's  Laugh Out Loud is its arrogance. Science cannot be said to not exist. As such, it is part of any universe, creationist included. Yadda is not quite sharp enough to realise that science may actually prove creation, and therefore he, and the rest of the God Freaks, would do well to stop being so smug.

Please explain how your original question was an aside and nothing more than nothing out of nothing, strewth. wasted time.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #24 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 4:56am

Lawrence Krauss has his ideas.

Quote:
Lawrence Maxwell Krauss (born 27 May 1954) is an American theoretical physicist and cosmologist who is Foundation Professor of the School of Earth and Space Exploration at Arizona State University, and director of its Origins Project.[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_M._Krauss

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #25 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 7:28am

Johnnie wrote on Feb 17th, 2017 at 3:08am:
issuevoter wrote on Feb 16th, 2017 at 9:39pm:

Please explain how your original question was an aside and nothing more than nothing out of nothing, strewth. wasted time.

I don't think of your time as wasted. The overall discussion so far, has been quite interesting, even if it goes nowhere. An expanding Universe observed and calculated is always interesting. I just cannot take seriously the consideration of nothing as something.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #26 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 9:09am

Setanta wrote on Feb 17th, 2017 at 4:56am:

Quote:
Lawrence Maxwell Krauss (born 27 May 1954) is an American theoretical physicist and cosmologist who is Foundation Professor of the School of Earth and Space Exploration at Arizona State University, and director of its Origins Project.[2]

Thanks for this video. I listened, as carefully as I was able, to what Krauss had to say. Very early on, I found myself needing to have points clarified, but that is true in most technical and mathematical discussions.
I still feel that he, representing the latest thoughts on physics, is rather loose with important words. This looseness makes assumptions about the perception of the audience, and God Freaks do this all the time.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 5:57pm

Setanta wrote on Feb 17th, 2017 at 4:56am:

Quote:

That was a long lecture, I only nodded off a couple of times. My take on it is their is one atom per cubic meter of space combined with dark energy. The bozon collider, dubbed the god machine has created a collision of protons which in turn created other stuff.
Their lies the beginning of the universe. Problem solved.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #28 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 6:59pm

Johnnie wrote on Feb 19th, 2017 at 5:57pm:
... Their lies...

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 7:48pm

The recent discovery of gravity waves as theorized by Einstein are said to have come from the big bang.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print