Send Topic Print
Do the Math. (Read 13928 times)
issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Do the Math.
Feb 8th, 2017 at 7:28pm

OK. In the absence of a Religion forum, I am posting this here, even though its got nothing to do with Atheism.

I would like someone to explain why one God is better than a Pantheon of dieties, like the Greeks and Romans had.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Re: Do the Math.
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 7:36pm

You only have one name to remember, and how long would you be at church on Sundays if you had to pray to each one of a dozen major deities? All day?

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 7:47pm

issuevoter wrote on Feb 8th, 2017 at 7:28pm:
OK. In the absence of a Religion forum, I am posting this here, even though its got nothing to do with Atheism.

I would like someone to explain why one God is better than a Pantheon of dieties, like the Greeks and Romans had.

My intial thought is that with a pantheon, the question of "if gods made man, who made the gods?" remains.  Most (all?) pantheons had a "king of the gods" that was above the others, but still - where did that come from?
The very nature of the universe is the ultimate secret, so an explanation calls for an ultimate power.  Anything less than that will always leave questions unanswered. 

in short:  "god did it" can explain everything.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 7:54pm

Ask him.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 10:37pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Feb 8th, 2017 at 7:54pm:

Ask him.

Ask who?

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2017 at 10:53am

... wrote on Feb 8th, 2017 at 7:47pm:

My intial thought is that with a pantheon, the question of "if gods made man, who made the gods?" remains.  Most (all?) pantheons had a "king of the gods" that was above the others, but still - where did that come from?
The very nature of the universe is the ultimate secret, so an explanation calls for an ultimate power.  Anything less than that will always leave questions unanswered. 

You have considered the question. So your conclusions deserve some thought too. I have to admit I have yet to see an interesting God concept. By inference, Sprint, using the personal pronoun "him," regards God as a personality, and a male. That explanation would have been better in the previous thread where no one seemed to be prepared to be quoted. If no one is prepared to explain what they mean by God, the whole business is moot. But we do a forum here.

I recognise the King of Gods in a Pantheon, ends up making the Pantheon redundant. However, that type of belief was not in my thoughts when I wrote the OP. I was getting at the superiority of the "one versus many" fundamental, which the Abrahamic religions taut as the greatest thing since cosmic sliced bread. The multiple God universe does not have to be Greco-Roman. Questions like that of the origin of the universe, and who made man, are somewhat further down the line of inquiry.
The explanation of reality as "god did it," is tidy. The problem is that "doing" is a human concept.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2017 at 7:39pm

issuevoter wrote on Feb 9th, 2017 at 10:53am:

You have considered the question. So your conclusions deserve some thought too. I have to admit I have yet to see an interesting God concept. By inference, Sprint, using the personal pronoun "him," regards God as a personality, and a male. That explanation would have been better in the previous thread where no one seemed to be prepared to be quoted. If no one is prepared to explain what they mean by God, the whole business is moot. But we do a forum here.

I recognise the King of Gods in a Pantheon, ends up making the Pantheon redundant. However, that type of belief was not in my thoughts when I wrote the OP. I was getting at the superiority of the "one versus many" fundamental, which the Abrahamic religions taut as the greatest thing since cosmic sliced bread. The multiple God universe does not have to be Greco-Roman. Questions like that of the origin of the universe, and who made man, are somewhat further down the line of inquiry.
The explanation of reality as "god did it," is tidy. The problem is that "doing" is a human concept.

You have answered your own question.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2017 at 9:30pm

Setanta wrote on Feb 9th, 2017 at 7:39pm:
issuevoter wrote on Feb 9th, 2017 at 10:53am:

Damn, I'm clever!

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2017 at 10:17pm

issuevoter wrote on Feb 9th, 2017 at 9:30pm:
Setanta wrote on Feb 9th, 2017 at 7:39pm:

Damn, I'm clever!

You already knew that too. Wink

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #9 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 12:43am

Yeah, do the frikin' math..(if you are able).

I have graphs and charts to back me up, so bugger off!  Grin

I also have historical evidence that Jesus (as accepted in religiosity) never really existed at all.

Unfortunately, it takes empathy and a thirst for knowledge to realise that religion is aimed at the selfish losers to make the selfish winners more rich.

It's far more easy to sell a bogus product to a selfish person than a thinking person. That is true.

Religious followers have been lied to, taken advantage of, exploited and bastardised for centuries whilst their Gods (the ones who exploit) keep them poor and submissive.

Grin

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #10 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 1:14am

Amadd wrote on Feb 13th, 2017 at 12:43am:

I also have historical evidence that Jesus (as accepted in religiosity) never really existed at all.

Unfortunately, it takes empathy and a thirst for knowledge to realise that religion is aimed at the selfish losers to make the selfish winners more rich.

It's far more easy to sell a bogus product to a selfish person than a thinking person. That is true.

Religious followers have been lied to, taken advantage of, exploited and bastardised for centuries whilst their Gods (the ones who exploit) keep them poor and submissive.

Grin

You are an angry laddie.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #11 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 1:17am

There is no one god. Psalm 82 makes that clear

A Psalm of Asaph. God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #12 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 1:25am

Setanta wrote on Feb 13th, 2017 at 1:14am:

Grin

You are an angry laddie.

Is that the best reply that you can achieve? Do you somehow think that calling me angry will exempt a reply of reason?

Does being angry with untruths make a debate (in an atheist room) null and void?

Nah mate, I want you to provide some real validity of the existence of Jesus frikin' Christ.
Then when you realise that you cannot. Then you should bow your head to the real God of reason.

Provide me some facts of the Jesus Christ existence puhlease!

To be honest, I need these idiots around, else I would not make such a good living. I need the illogical, the morons, the hopeless in order to live the dreams that I should. Without the dimwits, I would be buggered.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #13 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 1:37am

Amadd wrote on Feb 13th, 2017 at 1:25am:
Setanta wrote on Feb 13th, 2017 at 1:14am:

Grin

You are an angry laddie.

Is that the best reply that you can achieve? Do you somehow think that calling me angry will exempt a reply of reason?

Does being angry with untruths make a debate (in an atheist room) null and void?

Nah mate, I want you to provide some real validity of the existence of Jesus frikin' Christ.
Then when you realise that you cannot. Then you should bow your head to the real God of reason.

Provide me some facts of the Jesus Christ existence puhlease!

To be honest, I need these idiots around, else I would not make such a good living. I need the illogical, the nice people, the hopeless in order to live the dreams that I should. Without the dimwits, I would be buggered.

I think we have been through this, I don't believe in gods. Your attitude about your non beliefs is very angry.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #14 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 1:45am

Raven wrote on Feb 13th, 2017 at 1:17am:
There is no one god. Psalm 82 makes that clear

A Psalm of Asaph. God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.

Oh no! More of them? Really? Grin
Thanks Raven.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print