Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Grow a forest in your backyard. (Read 6958 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Grow a forest in your backyard.
Reply #60 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 8:59pm

The guys who chop down trees will give you free woodchips.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #61 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 7:48am

yes, just that I don't know what tree it will be off.

Pine chips are not good for the soil.
I doubt gum chips are very beneficial either.

tee tree mulch or sugar cane are both good for the soil

might just rake some good mulch into the top layer of loosened soil

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #62 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 7:05pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 25th, 2017 at 2:00am:
Does anyone have good treatments for saline lawns? People have been treading pool water over my lawn fetching beach balls for their pool next door. Their yard looks worse than mine, but the chlorine seems to be spreading with each rainfall.

I'm aware of things like gypsum to undo the clay build up. But I don't want to keep trying to treat my lawn with potting mix. Other fertilizers are just a waste to throw around, at least until I have removed the salts from the lawn.

Suggestions?

As a novice and not a male who plans things on paper - you can have a healthy garden and lawn at very little expense. I didn't throw any food scraps, lawn clippings or fallen leaves in the bin. I used to rake them over and into the sand, but I don't have to now. I have bore water which helped years ago, but I don't need it anymore. The lawn and plants can survive for months without being watered.

Maybe you could try keeping your lawn a little longer when you mow. Don't throw the clippings out - rake them back over the sparse spots. Rake some leaves up also - and mix them into the clippings. In twelve months the overflow from your neighbours pool mightn't affect your grass as much if there is something that can absorb it before it gets to the main part of the lawn.

Natural mulch is a poultice for most gardens.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #63 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 9:18pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Feb 27th, 2017 at 7:48am:
yes, just that I don't know what tree it will be off.

Pine chips are not good for the soil.
I doubt gum chips are very beneficial either.

tee tree mulch or sugar cane are both good for the soil

might just rake some good mulch into the top layer of loosened soil

Don't worry about what tree it is from. Just think of it as a massive source of free fertiliser and soil conditioner. If you are really worried about the flavour of it, let it decompose in the corner for a while. I find it's ability to kill the weeds by smothering them just as useful as the long term benefits to the soil.

If pine chips were not good for the soil, they would not use them on commercial gardens.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #64 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 11:31pm

The mulch/humus material might make a big difference.

Good gardeners have told me to add nitrogen under fresh mulch as the decomposing process takes nitrogen away from the soil .

As a kid I used to walk through natural forests, underfoot was soft and spongy. These were beech or other hardwood forests. lovely places.

Under pine trees the soils is hard and dead.
they were like deserts underneath.

Quote:
................Our mulch is left to age or “cook” as we refer to it for three months prior to selling. During this cooking process, our mulch will reach temperatures well above 70 degrees even in the middle of winter! It’s also turned over several times. Fresh Forest Mulch contains tannins which are extremely harmful to young plants and even mature trees. Fresh Forest Mulch will absorb valuable nitrogen from your soil – properly aged forest mulch will not. Throughout this 3 month process, harmful tannins are leached from the mulch and unsightly leaves are turned into compost. The end result is a product which has a pleasant earthy smell and feel, allowing your plants to simply flourish!...............

http://www.northbrisbanetrees.com.au/services/mulch/

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #65 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 12:27am

My neighbor's old and large oak tree hangs dangerously over part of my house. The fat bastard had the limbs trimmed over his own house but not mine ...

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #66 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 1:13am

AiA wrote on Feb 28th, 2017 at 12:27am:
My neighbor's old and large oak tree hangs dangerously over part of my house. The fat bastard had the limbs trimmed over his own house but not mine ...

I once had a neighbor in Perth who was a farmer. I had never previously seen or met him. I approached him about a noxious tree in his yard that was dropping sticky leaves which clumped together in resinous clumps, stuck to the paving and stuck to dogs and cats.

I knocked on his door and introduced myself and explained the problem, and asked him to cut down his tree. He told me he was from the bush and that they shoot people like me and then drive over them in a ute. What a jolly fine chap. He did however cut down his tree.

Just mentioning that people get really obnoxious when their overhanging trees become a problem

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #67 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 1:48am

Unforgiven wrote on Feb 28th, 2017 at 1:13am:

I once had a neighbor in Perth who was a farmer. I had never previously seen or met him. I approached him about a noxious tree in his yard that was dropping sticky leaves which clumped together in resinous clumps, stuck to the paving and stuck to dogs and cats.

I knocked on his door and introduced myself and explained the problem, and asked him to cut down his tree. He told me he was from the bush and that they shoot people like me and then drive over them in a ute. What a jolly fine chap. He did however cut down his tree.

Just mentioning that people get really obnoxious when their overhanging trees become a problem

Yeah, this fat bastard is like that:  he has seen me over the years cleaning up the mess his tree leaves on top of my house and all on that side and probably enjoys watching me bust my ass ...

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #68 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 7:37am

I have given up on the idea of planting fruit trees this year. Once the soil has softened a bit after rain someone will rotary hoe the block and spread gypsum. That will be left over winter to break down the clay. Hopefully the same guy can harrow the soil in spring—I will have quite enough work to do as it is! Cost maybe $200 per pass over the block.

Then I might spread and lightly dig in cow poo and compost, trace elements or rock dust, dolomite and some blood and bone over the back half of the block where the fruit trees will go and mulch the whole lot then leave it like that for summer. Will use FD’s tip re getting tree loppers to dump their woodchips on my block and use that for the mulch. I like the price of free mulch!

I will measure where the holes for the fruit trees will be and dig them out and fill them with the same compost etc mix. Plenty of humus then for the fruit trees.
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2017 at 7:42am by Jovial Monk »  

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #69 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 8:03am

Re the destructive power of tree roots, bah!

I had an orange tree a metre or so off the back verandah. No damage done to the cement making the verandah floor. Now a dwarf Valencia and a dwarf blood orange tree are even closer—no damage. Citrus trees have long shallow roots, I know! I had to dig out one from the orange tree to put my pond in but under the verandah there is no moisture and no problem from the roots.

Don’t plant a Norfolk Pine tho, problems!
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2017 at 12:11am by Jovial Monk »  

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #70 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 12:01am

AiA wrote on Feb 28th, 2017 at 1:48am:
Unforgiven wrote on Feb 28th, 2017 at 1:13am:

Yeah, this fat bastard is like that:  he has seen me over the years cleaning up the mess his tree leaves on top of my house and all on that side and probably enjoys watching me bust my ass ...

Any tree parts/fruit that overhangs your property line is yours, you may have if lopped off at the property line. In Au anyway. I believe I've read you own the airspace over your yard in the US and can shoot down drones.

Edit: I just googled and it's pretty grey about drones in the US, people get off for doing it but the FAA says you can't.
« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2017 at 12:09am by Setanta »  

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #71 - Mar 4th, 2017 at 4:20am

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #72 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 3:18am

Just ordered 8 cider apple trees and four cherry trees. Will order more fruit trees, eating & cooking apples, plums and citrus (can just manage citrus in Tassie.)

Guy who rotary hoed my block and spread claybreaker will get them and put them in pots and look after them until I plant them Aug 2018.

Shitload of work to do first, might even get a soil analysis done. Reckon a few bags of dolomite to sweeten what I think is very acid soil.

The other thing I will do once the soil is under control is plant a hedgerow all around the parts where I will plant my fruit trees. Part windbreak, part barrier part environment for predatory insects and birds to nest and pick of pesky bugs. Chickens to run under the apple trees (cider and eating/cooking) and they will eat any codling moth, kick them out for a couple of months before the apples ripen so the apples fall on clean ground.

Native edible Tassie fruits are listed on this site:
http://www.potn.com.au/edible_plants.html

I will plant bay trees, raspberries, blackberries, blueberries, rosemary, sage, oregano etc etc as well in the hedgerow. Stretches of hedgerow mainly natives.

Will plant black hawthorn aka sloes, sloe gin  Smiley

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #73 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 5:36am

Got me a couple of banana trees.... moisture suckers and provide fruit (I don't like bananas but the pre-school across the lane provides morning tea for the kids).  Also the lemon is a must and the lime - also got a peach/nectarine combo that was a gift... last one like that the nectarine died off down South and the peach thrived and gave good fruit.

Next for the grapes, passion fruit and maybe an olive or two... cherries if I can keep the bugs off - birds always love the places the ex and I change around... full of shrubs and trees so they can hide from predators and free food , and all are welcome as long as they like eating bugs.  No chooks here - too smelly and not enough room, and they dig up your tree roots if you're not careful.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #74 - Apr 24th, 2017 at 9:30am

No chooks until the cider apple trees are well established. if you lay down chicken wire then chooks can’t scratch.

I have a banana tree and despite the Ice Age hysteria from Sir Booby de Louse it is doing well: no fruit last year but three bells on it this year. I chopped down some suckers getting too close to the verandah early last year.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print