Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Dog Fight
Reply #45 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 7:25pm

rhino wrote on Feb 24th, 2017 at 10:47pm:
Bobby. wrote on Jan 26th, 2017 at 7:31am:
John Smith wrote on Jan 26th, 2017 at 7:18am:
leave them to sort it out.

Rubbish - dogs like that need to be put down.

That's the only reason we have domestic dogs & cats  -
the violent ones were always destroyed but
the wild dog is still there hiding in their genes.

Agreed. I would shoot both dogs in this case.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #46 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 7:47pm

mantra wrote on Feb 25th, 2017 at 8:21am:
I have to disagree. Dogs are companion animals and should be treated as a friend. If a dog is little they need the security of their owner beside them, not at their feet where they can be kicked either accidentally or on purpose.

How could anyone get comfortable on a lounge without their pets cuddled up beside them?

Utter nonsense, dogs (to an extent) have been domesticated, but to say they are a "companion animal" is absolute rubbish. They may very well have evolved over the centuries to fulfil the requirements of their masters, however the instincts of the wild are still present, the art of training is to utilise those instincts in the best possible way to work. So called 'companion animals' are in fact trained to assist when needed by the disabled, and size has nothing to do with it.

Unless of course you take turns sniffing each others butt.... 

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #47 - Feb 26th, 2017 at 11:10am

How could anyone get comfortable on a lounge without their pets cuddled up beside them?

Grin Grin Grin

I've watched the TV series with that dog-whisperer Cesar Millan in people's homes trying to correct the delinquent anti-social attitudes of snarling chihuahuas and other lounge-potato small mutts that are spoilt half-insane by their 'mothers'.

What a carry-on, but he's very good at teaching these little Tasmanian Devils in canine form who's the boss and who's the subordinate who should know his place in the home. 

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #48 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 5:48am

rhino wrote on Feb 25th, 2017 at 7:20pm:
Jovial Monk wrote on Feb 24th, 2017 at 10:41pm:
Dogs must not be allowed to sit on furniture—height is dominance to them. No need to hit a dog, ignore for a few minutes is all that is needed.

I have to disagree. Dogs are companion animals and should be treated as a friend. If a dog is little they need the security of their owner beside them, not at their feet where they can be kicked either accidentally or on purpose.

You are so wrong. Most major issues with dogs occur  because they are treated as equal to humans,  as previously stated dogs are pack animals and must know their place in the pack. If you treat them as equal they will attack humans to assert their dominance.

There would be plenty of people who disagree with you. Just because a dog sits on a lounge or next to you - doesn't mean that one day it's going to attack you. They know by the tone of your voice who is the master. They don't need to grovel at your feet to prove you're the boss. If you've raised them the right way - they'll do what you want them to do.

Dogs are easier to raise than children. Maybe we should teach our children to grovel at our feet when they're young so that they always know who's in charge.

Quote:
Agreed. I would shoot both dogs in this case.

So the dog who gets attacked gets shot too?

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #49 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 5:53am

Jovial Monk wrote on Feb 25th, 2017 at 6:27pm:
Yup, the floor or dog bed is the place for dogs. Letting them sit on furniture just confuses them: who is the dominant animal? Height = dominance for dogs.

If I go out and leave Demi at home for a few hours I can always see which chair she sat on.  Wink

Has your dominance helped Demi? She is still stealing food from the table and sitting on the lounge when you're not around. She's killed chickens and run away from you too.

Quote:
Don’t pat a dog that isn’t yours on the head—all sorts of dominance issues are raised in the dog’s mind. That is how to get bitten.

You'd have to be stupid to pat a strange dog on the head these days. There seem to be an increasing number of dog attacks. Maybe it's all the preservatives in canned food?

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #50 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 7:36am

mantra wrote on Feb 27th, 2017 at 5:53am:
You'd have to be stupid to pat a strange dog on the head these days. There seem to be an increasing number of dog attacks. Maybe it's all the preservatives in canned food?

I patted a stray Staffordshire Bull Terrier last week which then jumped up and shot a large spade-sized tongue out of its enormous mouth that it wiped across my face while its tail wagged furiously like an insane metronome.

It recognised my Alpha-male credentials instinctively. ...

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #51 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 2:32pm

It was probably hoping you had some food on you  Smiley

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #52 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 3:51pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Feb 27th, 2017 at 2:32pm:
It was probably hoping you had some food on you  Smiley

It went for the right body part looking....there'd always be something dribbling onto Herbert's chin.

Smiley

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #53 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 4:50pm

I had a friend who had a Doberman called "Brute" ... he (Brute) was a real "sook" and my friend had trained him that should anyone (himself included) go to the side gate and said the "magic word" ... GENTLY BRUTE and proffer their hand .... Brute would immediately allow the gate to be opened (without you being eaten alive).

That worked fine for many years until Brute started getting "aged" ... my friend asked me to feed Brute while he was away for a few days.  I went over and went out the back to feed Brute and a CHILL came over me ... it was something in his eyes and I felt really frightened. I got out of there as quick as .....

Not long afterwards, Brute needed putting down because he had some sort of cancer or something.  It was just something in his eyes that frightened me ... perhaps he was going blind or something ... I never did find out.   

I have an affinity with dogs and they like me too. I have never been afraid of a dog but Brute really gave me a scare.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #54 - Feb 27th, 2017 at 7:21pm

Neferti wrote on Feb 27th, 2017 at 4:50pm:
I had a friend who had a Doberman called "Brute" ... he (Brute) was a real "sook" and my friend had trained him that should anyone (himself included) go to the side gate and said the "magic word" ... GENTLY BRUTE and proffer their hand .... Brute would immediately allow the gate to be opened (without you being eaten alive).

That worked fine for many years until Brute started getting "aged" ... my friend asked me to feed Brute while he was away for a few days.  I went over and went out the back to feed Brute and a CHILL came over me ... it was something in his eyes and I felt really frightened. I got out of there as quick as .....

Not long afterwards, Brute needed putting down because he had some sort of cancer or something.  It was just something in his eyes that frightened me ... perhaps he was going blind or something ... I never did find out.   

I have an affinity with dogs and they like me too. I have never been afraid of a dog but Brute really gave me a scare.

Interesting.

The scariest dog I ever knew was a giant Alsatian cross that my brother owned. It was an Alpha dog on steroids, and had absolutely no sense of 'play' at all, and I never saw it wag its tail. It was a monster from a nightmare.

Even though it was very loyal to my brother, he got rid of it after a few months when he too realised that it was far more suited to running wild in a Siberian forest than being in a suburban backyard.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #55 - Feb 28th, 2017 at 4:03am

So
we are all back to 100%...  the wounds have healed but the drive to dominance continues between my two dogs.
I am top dog,        but.... I seem to have limited control over the dichotomy which exists between my two 'doggies'. It appears inevitable that the younger larger female will prevail. I can only really seek to be aware and manage their daily interactions, so that my older honey doesn't get too disaffected.

The younger dog has always been much more affectionate, and trusting, where my older honeydog always seems to expect to get kicked in the guts. She has never been able to fully trust, although I have watched with pleasure as sleep has taken her to realms less threatening. It makes me so SAD to realise what cruelty humans are capable of inflicting on their animal family. Sad

live every day

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #56 - Mar 1st, 2017 at 5:23am

Emma wrote on Feb 28th, 2017 at 4:03am:
So
we are all back to 100%...  the wounds have healed but the drive to dominance continues between my two dogs.
I am top dog,        but.... I seem to have limited control over the dichotomy which exists between my two 'doggies'. It appears inevitable that the younger larger female will prevail. I can only really seek to be aware and manage their daily interactions, so that my older honey doesn't get too disaffected.

The younger dog has always been much more affectionate, and trusting, where my older honeydog always seems to expect to get kicked in the guts. She has never been able to fully trust, although I have watched with pleasure as sleep has taken her to realms less threatening. It makes me so SAD to realise what cruelty humans are capable of inflicting on their animal family. Sad

This has happened to me before, but with other species of animals. Cats are the worst. You have to play musical doors to give the persecuted animal a little peace. You let one animal into a space, but you have to ensure that the other animal is leaving through another exit.

Your older dog needs more consideration than the younger dog. Maybe you could keep her separated somewhere inside for a few hours a day where she can't be tormented by the younger dog. Give her a little bit of extra attention inside for a while where the other dog can't see or hear. Be very firm with the younger dog and keep reinforcing to him that he has to leave her alone. If he won't listen to you - you might have to think of another alternative for him as horrible as that sounds.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #57 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 2:46am

yes and thanks for your input.
And indeed yes I do allow the older dog 'privilege'. The younger dog spends many more hours outside, while honeydog sleeps on my bed. Smiley

live every day

IP Logged

Richdude
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NC
Reply #58 - Mar 26th, 2017 at 6:23am

My 13yo female Golden Retriever has always been sweet natured. Never been in a fight - killed a few moles which I encourage. Chased some mice - always to slow for them.

She lives with my wife's rabbit - even sleeps on same dog bed as her! Only time she ever growls is when I get to close to my wife or pat another dog.

As the saying goes. "Dogs are angels gift to humans".

Magnet.gif (4 KB | 63 )
Magnet.gif

The mediocre mind is incapable of understanding the man who refuses to bow blindly to conventional prejudices and chooses instead to express his opinions courageously and honestly.”

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print