Dog Fight (Read 12449 times)
Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Re: Dog Fight
Reply #30 - Jan 31st, 2017 at 3:26am

mantra wrote on Jan 29th, 2017 at 5:22am:
Then there are obviously different reasons for this aggression over food. It's up to the owner then to have some foresight if they know their dog has this problem and keep it separated from other animals at feeding time.

Yes  quite so.

Both my dogs, who are well on the way to being 100% again, since the fight last weekend, were both taken on by me roughly 3 yrs apart..

The older dog was a stray, although microchipped , after being found she was in the 'Adopt"prog for close to six months.
She was a mature animal when I took her home, and I don't know her history, but she was obviously on the scrounge for quite a while, and is always food-obsessed.

The younger dog was owned by a person who got her as a gift ..  a 6 week old pup, andwho failed to provide for her in any real sense, before I accepted her , at his request, when she was close to 18 mths old.
She had been starved, basically, and will, even now , eat just about anything.

Both my dogs are well fed and looked after, but it seems they find it hard to override the imperatives of their puppyhood.

Something it behoves me well to keep in mind.

live every day

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #31 - Feb 1st, 2017 at 4:32am

You did a good thing taking on two mature dogs with an unknown history Emma.  Not a lot of people could do that. It is a huge risk taking on a discarded dog and if there's only been one serious dog fight - then you've done well.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #32 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 6:46am

Thanks Mantra. Both dogs are good dogs, and it has been a bit of a bummer for me.

It is a dynamic which includes the chance that more discord may follow. It is down to me.. I must be less complacent about the drive to dominance. I AM top dog, but I have been lazy in my role as such.
I surely don't want it to happen again, and must be mindful of my own responsibility.

live every day

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #33 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 6:51am

'Speak softly and carry a big stick'.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #34 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 8:24am

I never had to use physical discipline on my dogs. When you get them as puppies - they learn very quickly how to behave by the tone of your voice - and they can also read your mind.

However I used a rolled up newspaper a few times on the legs of my children.  I always tried to aim for their rump, but they moved faster than me.

Most dogs are very smart. If you treat them with patience - they'll try hard to please you.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #35 - Feb 2nd, 2017 at 8:52am

mantra wrote on Feb 2nd, 2017 at 8:24am:
I never had to use physical discipline on my dogs. When you get them as puppies - they learn very quickly how to behave by the tone of your voice - and they can also read your mind.

However I used a rolled up newspaper a few times on the legs of my children.  I always tried to aim for their rump, but they moved faster than me.

Most dogs are very smart. If you treat them with patience - they'll try hard to please you.

So true.

I've tried to use a rolled up newspaper on my cats but they're WAY too fast for me.

Tone of voice is the controlling mechanism by far.

When two of my cats were only the size of a tennis ball, I just happened to say "NO!" to them in the kitchen about something - and it stuck in their minds like it was chiselled in concrete. Five years later a firm "No!" is instantly understood and responded to appropriately.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #36 - Feb 3rd, 2017 at 3:31am

Lord Herbert wrote on Feb 2nd, 2017 at 8:52am:
When two of my cats were only the size of a tennis ball, I just happened to say "NO!" to them in the kitchen about something - and it stuck in their minds like it was chiselled in concrete. Five years later a firm "No!" is instantly understood and responded to appropriately.

Cats do understand no if you mean it - at least until they get out of your sight.

I might say no to the cat when he makes a jump for a low flying bird. He immediately looks contrite and skulks away. An hour later - I'll see him trying the same thing again, but in another part of the garden where he thinks I can't see him.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #37 - Feb 3rd, 2017 at 6:06am

mantra wrote on Feb 3rd, 2017 at 3:31am:
Lord Herbert wrote on Feb 2nd, 2017 at 8:52am:

Cats do understand no if you mean it - at least until they get out of your sight.

I might say no to the cat when he makes a jump for a low flying bird. He immediately looks contrite and skulks away. An hour later - I'll see him trying the same thing again, but in another part of the garden where he thinks I can't see him.

Grin

My three cats are as good as gold so far as behaving themselves, and I don't discourage them from stalking mice and the birds here that are all introduced species.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #38 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 12:08am

I've never physically punished my dogs.

I might wave a stick at them I picked up from the ground, and growl at them, but have never flogged a dog in my life and never would.

I hope those of you who have no experience with dog aggression and dogs fighting never get that experience.

Anyway, we are all pretty well over it now. I know I am. Smiley

live every day

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #39 - Feb 24th, 2017 at 10:41pm

Dogs must not be allowed to sit on furniture—height is dominance to them. No need to hit a dog, ignore for a few minutes is all that is needed.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Feb 24th, 2017 at 10:47pm

Bobby. wrote on Jan 26th, 2017 at 7:31am:
John Smith wrote on Jan 26th, 2017 at 7:18am:
leave them to sort it out.

Rubbish - dogs like that need to be put down.

That's the only reason we have domestic dogs & cats  -
the violent ones were always destroyed but
the wild dog is still there hiding in their genes.

Agreed. I would shoot both dogs in this case.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #41 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 8:21am

Jovial Monk wrote on Feb 24th, 2017 at 10:41pm:
Dogs must not be allowed to sit on furniture—height is dominance to them. No need to hit a dog, ignore for a few minutes is all that is needed.

I have to disagree. Dogs are companion animals and should be treated as a friend. If a dog is little they need the security of their owner beside them, not at their feet where they can be kicked either accidentally or on purpose.

How could anyone get comfortable on a lounge without their pets cuddled up beside them?

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #42 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 8:56am

All dogs are instinctually pack animals. They ultimately decide through natural dominance which is the Alpha. Fighting over bones is a dominance/natural instinct brought on when prey drive takes hold and which naturally decides in what order a member of the pack takes preference when feeding on a kill, usually the Alpha first.

Allowing dogs to sit on furniture takes them up to your level which then confuses the animal, and is anthropomorphic.

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #43 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 6:27pm

Yup, the floor or dog bed is the place for dogs. Letting them sit on furniture just confuses them: who is the dominant animal? Height = dominance for dogs.

If I go out and leave Demi at home for a few hours I can always see which chair she sat on.  Wink

Don’t pat a dog that isn’t yours on the head—all sorts of dominance issues are raised in the dog’s mind. That is how to get bitten.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 7:20pm

mantra wrote on Feb 25th, 2017 at 8:21am:
Jovial Monk wrote on Feb 24th, 2017 at 10:41pm:

I have to disagree. Dogs are companion animals and should be treated as a friend. If a dog is little they need the security of their owner beside them, not at their feet where they can be kicked either accidentally or on purpose.

How could anyone get comfortable on a lounge without their pets cuddled up beside them?
You are so wrong. Most major issues with dogs occur  because they are treated as equal to humans,  as previously stated dogs are pack animals and must know their place in the pack. If you treat them as equal they will attack humans to assert their dominance.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print