Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Dog Fight (Read 12423 times)
Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Re: Dog Fight
Reply #15 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 8:33am

Bobby. wrote on Jan 26th, 2017 at 8:23am:
If a dog savagely bites me I'll get it put down.

It's not till a dog like that kills a child that everyone says
- I don't know how it happened.

Oh yes. I'd like a dollar for every time I've heard an owner say this in a news report.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #16 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 8:35am

Fuzzball wrote on Jan 26th, 2017 at 7:51am:
Moral of the story, don't give bones to dogs which are free to fight. One dog in one place the other secured in another to chew on their bones instead of each other.

I have three dogs, two bitches and one dog. I don't give them bones when they are together. No fights.

Same with my three hens.  Cool

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 8:36am

her dog bit her when she got in the middle of a dog fight. It's not the same as your dog attacking you. More than likely it was accidental.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #18 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 8:36am

Lord Herbert wrote on Jan 26th, 2017 at 8:33am:

Oh yes. I'd like a dollar for every time I've heard an owner say this in a news report.

me too.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #19 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 8:39am

Lord Herbert wrote on Jan 26th, 2017 at 8:35am:
Moral of the story, don't give bones to dogs which are free to fight. One dog in one place the other secured in another to chew on their bones instead of each other.

I have three dogs, two bitches and one dog. I don't give them bones when they are together. No fights.

Yes the dogs would likely fight over 3 hens as well. The only difference would be the feathers and mess.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #20 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 8:41am

Bobby. wrote on Jan 26th, 2017 at 8:36am:
Lord Herbert wrote on Jan 26th, 2017 at 8:33am:

me too.

"Oh, but my own kids have been playing with Brutus since they could only crawl ... he must have been stung by a bee or poked in the eye with a stick for him to have gone savage like this!"

Pig's ARSE!

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 8:41am

rubbish, you keep cods, Agnes and B.O bickering over you and you love it.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #22 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 11:23pm

Bobby. wrote on Jan 26th, 2017 at 6:51am:
Get both of them put down &
make sure you get a tetanus shot from the doctor.

I didn't get bitten Booby.. I was  injured in the struggle to separate them.

It was my own fault, as Fireball points out, I should have been more cautious with the bones...

I did get a tetanus shot , thanks.

live every day

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #23 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 6:32am

John Smith wrote on Jan 26th, 2017 at 8:41am:

rubbish, you keep cods, Agnes and B.O bickering over you and you love it.

What about Mothra-from-Mooloolaba and Marla-from-Colorada?

Don't short-change me, Bucko!

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #24 - Jan 27th, 2017 at 6:39am

Emma wrote on Jan 26th, 2017 at 11:23pm:
Bobby. wrote on Jan 26th, 2017 at 6:51am:
Get both of them put down &
make sure you get a tetanus shot from the doctor.

I didn't get bitten Booby.. I was  injured in the struggle to separate them.

It was my own fault, as Fireball points out, I should have been more cautious with the bones...

I did get a tetanus shot , thanks.

You have a good doctor -
the tetanus shot was the main thing.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #25 - Jan 28th, 2017 at 9:18am

My dogs have always got on well and there's never been any fighting among them until I fostered my brother's dog who had led a dysfunctional life. I think he had a bit of pit bull in him also. He was placid one moment - then snap suddenly at a stranger who he didn't like the look of.

A few times he attacked my dog who was twice his size and my large dog would just flip him over on his back and pin him down to control him. A smaller dog would have needed surgery.

This dog was obsessed with food and had to be well away from the other animals at feeding time. Even with sedatives and a stable home life - he wouldn't settle down - so I had to have him euthanised - then lie to my niece and nephew about his whereabouts.

All I could think of was how much it would cost me after he nipped a child on the face. Fortunately the woman was a friend and the boy only needed a butterfly clip, but the dog had to go.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Jan 28th, 2017 at 10:37am

mantra wrote on Jan 28th, 2017 at 9:18am:
This dog was obsessed with food and had to be well away from the other animals at feeding time.

most likely caused because as a pup, he always had the other pups in the litter steal his food. He had to learn to fight them off to get something to eat. It is common especially when the dogs is the runt of the litter.

I had a bitch who weighed 25kg, she often fought off my 50kg male over food. As he was never a pig when it came to food, he often just let her eat first. I used to have to put their bowls down in different areas of the yard or else she would leave him nothing.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #27 - Jan 28th, 2017 at 11:25am

John Smith wrote on Jan 28th, 2017 at 10:37am:
most likely caused because as a pup, he always had the other pups in the litter steal his food. He had to learn to fight them off to get something to eat. It is common especially when the dogs is the runt of the litter.

I had a bitch who weighed 25kg, she often fought off my 50kg male over food. As he was never a pig when it came to food, he often just let her eat first. I used to have to put their bowls down in different areas of the yard or else she would leave him nothing.

I don't think the aggression is caused because they are the runt of the litter. A couple of my dogs - chosen by my children were the runts of the litter These dogs were submissive in every way. I think it is inconsistency in the owner's behaviour towards them which causes these problems. A lot of people have no idea how to nurture a dog so it becomes gentle and well behaved - nor do they care.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Jan 28th, 2017 at 2:36pm

mantra wrote on Jan 28th, 2017 at 11:25am:
. I think it is inconsistency in the owner's behaviour towards them which causes these problems.

i disagree ... both my dogs mentioned earlier were raised by me, in the same manner. Both had extensive obedience training etc, he being a big boy from birth, never had to fight for his food so wasn't bothered when another dog started eating his food, she on the other hand learnt early on as the runt of her litter that if she didn't fight them off, they'd leave nothing for her.  These were all behaviours ingrained in them before I bought them at 6 weeks of age.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #29 - Jan 29th, 2017 at 5:22am

Then there are obviously different reasons for this aggression over food. It's up to the owner then to have some foresight if they know their dog has this problem and keep it separated from other animals at feeding time.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print