Send Topic Print
Dog Fight (Read 12422 times)
Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Dog Fight
Jan 26th, 2017 at 1:15am

Had the worst  last 5 days for a long long time..
My two dogs .. both speyed females, got into a fight to the death on Saturday afternoon.

Awful.  A bone was the ostensible cause, but it was really about dominance.
Between them they weigh about 80+ kgs.
I weigh closer to 20 kgs lighter.

I knew I had to break them apart, else end up with at least one dog I'd have to put down.
I  tried my best. It had been raining lightly, and it was slippery, and they were covered in slobber and blood. I shouted, commanded and had a go at them with a rake. Nope. After about 5 - 8 mins I  had a hold of one ear, and  they broke apart, but I couldn't keep my hold and fell.. and it was straight back at it.!!
I tried water from a hose (they normally run away from hoses)  Nope. I poured a wheelbarrows worth of collected rain water on them. Nope. I got a blanket and wrapped their heads (worked for me before with another pair) Nope. Meanwhile shouting and scrambling to get their attention.
I finally got the wheelbarrow and kept charging them with it, straight at their heads, and kept doing it .. they finally broke.. and I covered my older dog with it while shooing off the other.

It was a pretty shocking experience.. and I have ended up with a rather nasty wound on my hand. Don't remember it happening, but it is the worst injury I have gotten in many years of dog ownership. Both of them are sorely wounded as well, and it has cost me bulk dollars, just for my older dog. The other one, a young wolfhoundX (bred to be a pigdog) has recovered better, but nevertheless has some very deep punctures.

So I have a badly swollen and infected hand, bandaged and requiring ongoing medical care, and they are both sore and sorry, requiring twice daily medication, and application of potions (as do I) and not out in the clear yet.

What an experience. Sad

It is hard to describe the sheer ferocity and mindlessness fighting dogs are capable of, and it was , and is, a profound message to me.

I blame myself for my unthinking behaviour in failing to recognise the signs, and my complacency in thinking they were going to reach an equilibrium. I have tried to support my older dog in the game of who is the next after me, but my younger dog has been growing more in confidence and 'entitlement'.

It is, REALLY, a dog eat dog world.

live every day

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Dog Fight
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 6:51am

Get both of them put down &
make sure you get a tetanus shot from the doctor.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 7:18am

leave them to sort it out.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 7:31am

John Smith wrote on Jan 26th, 2017 at 7:18am:

Rubbish - dogs like that need to be put down.

That's the only reason we have domestic dogs & cats  -
the violent ones were always destroyed but
the wild dog is still there hiding in their genes.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 7:34am

Bobby. wrote on Jan 26th, 2017 at 7:31am:

what a load of rubbish. You shouldn't comment on things you have no idea about. They're just disagreeing over their hierarchy in the pack. The old dog was top dog, the younger one wants to be top dog. It'll happen sooner or later and Once they sort it out they'll settle down.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #5 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 7:51am

Moral of the story, don't give bones to dogs which are free to fight. One dog in one place the other secured in another to chew on their bones instead of each other.

I have three dogs, two bitches and one dog. I don't give them bones when they are together. No fights.

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 7:52am

Fuzzball wrote on Jan 26th, 2017 at 7:51am:
Moral of the story, don't give bones to dogs which are free to fight. One dog in one place the other secured in another to chew on their bones instead of each other.

that'll work

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #7 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 7:55am

Emma the dogs do not see you as the leader. they would have stopped if they did.

I have never had a dog that would fight for a bone.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #8 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 7:57am

John Smith wrote on Jan 26th, 2017 at 7:34am:

what a load of rubbish. You shouldn't comment on things you have no idea about. They're just disagreeing over their hierarchy in the pack. The old dog was top dog, the younger one wants to be top dog. It'll happen sooner or later and Once they sort it out they'll settle down.

It clowns like you who have caused this.
If animals savagely bite the hand that feeds them they need to be put down
to get rid of their violent genes.

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #9 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 8:05am

I'm afraid I have to agree with Jack, Bobby.

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 8:07am

Bobby. wrote on Jan 26th, 2017 at 7:57am:

Imbecile

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #11 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 8:14am

Dogs don't have "violent" genes, they are developed as the owner allows them to be. They have natural drives. Working dogs are bred by matching working genetics, but as far as "violence" is concerned, their natural drives/instincts play a big part in their behaviour. Unless you are a breeder who wants a certain type of dog (as in guide dogs) you really wouldn't want to breed out the natural instincts, and guide dogs are bred from certain naturally docile type of dog, which can be trained to assist.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #12 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 8:23am

Fuzzball wrote on Jan 26th, 2017 at 8:14am:

Dogs don't have "violent" genes, they are developed as the owner allows them to be. They have natural drives. Working dogs are bred by matching working genetics, but as far as "violence" is concerned, their natural drives/instincts play a big part in their behaviour. Unless you are a breeder who wants a certain type of dog (as in guide dogs) you really wouldn't want to breed out the natural instincts, and guide dogs are bred from certain naturally docile type of dog, which can be trained to assist.

If a dog savagely bites me I'll get it put down.

It's not till a dog like that kills a child that everyone says
- I don't know how it happened.

I was at the magistrates court about 25 years ago & I saw
a magistrate order the destruction of 4 dogs in a row -
all of them had put children into hospital.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 8:31am

John Smith wrote on Jan 26th, 2017 at 7:18am:

That's the only reason we have domestic dogs & cats  -
the violent ones were always destroyed but
the wild dog is still there hiding in their genes.

Well said.

There are even cats like this which will change from being 'loving' to suddenly rushing at their doting owners to take a bite out of them. I had one of these.

Animal Behaviorists will tell you there's no cure for this feral savagery, and it's best to have them put down.

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #14 - Jan 26th, 2017 at 8:32am

More a case of bad owners.  Dogs are allowed to be aggressive, if they are brought up NOT to be, they will not show any aggression unless a situation is allowed to develop which would make any dog naturally defend itself or its owner.

If they put the bad owners behind bars, most tragedies could be avoided. 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print