Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
Life as an Uber driver (Read 3410 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Life as an Uber driver
Reply #15 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 8:17pm

rhino wrote on Jan 24th, 2017 at 8:14pm:
Gordon wrote on Jan 24th, 2017 at 8:10pm:
rhino wrote on Jan 24th, 2017 at 8:04pm:
Aussie wrote on Jan 24th, 2017 at 8:02pm:
rhino wrote on Jan 24th, 2017 at 7:58pm:
Aussie wrote on Jan 24th, 2017 at 7:48pm:
rhino wrote on Jan 24th, 2017 at 7:43pm:
But Uber plates dont cost $400,000

So what.  The driver does not own the 'plate.'  I do.  Uber has zero 'plate.'  That is why there is a serious inequity which politicians are gonna have to fix in Qld or they'll see One Nation easily have the balance of power next election.  PHON has publicly declared its full support for the Qld Taxi Industry which is now mobilising behind PHON, warts and all.
I see. So you as the owner gets the financial benefit while the drivers work for peanuts. Do you sleep at night?

Owning a 'plate' is not something one did to make a quid on revenue.  After the bills are paid, there is not much of that $230.00 left for me.  The value was always in the 'plate.'
How can the plates be worth anything if theres no income? 

Sounds like corruption to me.
something going on, Ozzy appears to be evading. No business worth $400,000 has almost zero income. I certainly wouldnt buy into a business like that even if I was desperate for a job.

I wonder what % a bank is willing to lend to buy an taxi plate.

IBI

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 8:19pm

Gordon wrote on Jan 24th, 2017 at 8:17pm:

So what.  The driver does not own the 'plate.'  I do.  Uber has zero 'plate.'  That is why there is a serious inequity which politicians are gonna have to fix in Qld or they'll see One Nation easily have the balance of power next election.  PHON has publicly declared its full support for the Qld Taxi Industry which is now mobilising behind PHON, warts and all.
I see. So you as the owner gets the financial benefit while the drivers work for peanuts. Do you sleep at night?

Owning a 'plate' is not something one did to make a quid on revenue.  After the bills are paid, there is not much of that $230.00 left for me.  The value was always in the 'plate.'

something going on, Ozzy appears to be evading. No business worth $400,000 has almost zero income. I certainly wouldnt buy into a business like that even if I was desperate for a job.

dont they base the money lent on the actual income from the business?

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #17 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 8:31pm

rhino wrote on Jan 24th, 2017 at 8:19pm:
Gordon wrote on Jan 24th, 2017 at 8:17pm:

dont they base the money lent on the actual income from the business?

Doing a bit of googling shows youn can borrow about 30-40% before you need to go to specialty finance. That usually means crappy rates.

You can borrow 80% for a real estate rent roll.

You may as well just buy a Jims Mowing franchise, at least you'd stay fit and don't have to clean vomit out of your cab every day.

IBI

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #18 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 8:31pm

That's because you do not understand the Industry which, in Queensland, is regulated through Plates 'auctioned' by Government to people like me.  No Plate, you do not get to operate as a Cab, until Uber bluffed Government.  Today, the Industry met in Brisbane with almost 800 plate owners (you'd never get that number at a State Party Annual Convention) gathering to sort this mess out, and we will.  A $M2 fighting fund is to be raised from people like me to arsehole any Politician who will not stop the destruction of the Industry.  In Qld (after a redistribution of seats is completed) there will be 93 seats contested in the next election.  That's $20,000.00  + which will be spent (just in robo calls, ads, corflutes etc) in each electorate with a ready Army of Foot Soldiers (hundreds of Cabbies and Owners) in each electorate to do the physical ground work on a volunteer basis.  Each Cab has hundreds of user in the Cab each week.  They too will be asked to join our Army of Boots.  We will be better resourced and manned than any Party in EACH seat.  Look out Palaszczuk, Nicholls....get in step with us or we will wipe you out!

That is the advantage we have over Uber.  There are 3200 'plate' owners in the State, they all have Family, friend and neighbours, there are generally 4 Cabbies with each plate, that's another almost 13,000 (plus their Family, friends and neighbours) actual boots on the ground.

Uber (and in fact, no Political Party) can NOT match that fire power on the ground.

We gonna use it.
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2017 at 10:33pm by Aussie »  

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #19 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 8:34pm

Aussie just admitted to buying politicians to perpetuate a broken corrupt system.

Buy a taxi and Bob's yer uncle

IBI

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 9:04pm

Aussie wrote on Jan 24th, 2017 at 8:31pm:

That's because you do not understand the Industry which, in Queensland, is regulated through Plates 'auctioned' by Government to people like me.  No Plate, you do not get to operate as a Cab, until Uber bluffed Government.  Today, the Industry met in Brisbane with almost 800 plate owners (you'd never get that number at a State Party Annual Convention) gathering to sort this mess out, and we will.  A $M2 fighting fund is to be raised from people like me to arsehole any Politician who will not stop the destruction of the Industry.  In Qld (after a redistribution of seats is completed) there will be 93 seats contested in the next election.  That's $20,000.00  + which will be spent (just in robo calls, ads, corflutes etc) in each electorate with a ready Army of Foot Soldiers (hundreds of Cabbies and Owners) in each electorate to do the physical ground work on a volunteer basis.  Each Cab has hundreds if user in thne Cab each week.  They too will be asked to join our Army of Boots.  We will be better resourced and manned than any Party in EACH seat.  Look out Palaszczuk, Nicholls....get in step with us or we will wipe you out!

That is the advantage we have over Uber.  There are 3200 'plate' owners in the State, they all have Family, friend and neighbours, there are generally 4 Cabbies with each plate, that's another almost 13,000 (plus their Family, friends and neighbours) actual boots on the ground.

Uber (and in fact, no Political Party) can NOT match that fire power on the ground.

We gonna use it.
Nice deflection. You still havent explained how a business with allegedly so little income is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. Your avoidance of this question makes me wonder if you arent hiding something.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #21 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 9:12pm

It is not the business, Numpty.  It is the Licence (your word is 'plate.')  The Qld Taxi Industry is not a 'business' like your corner store.

You have to buy (from Government) the right to operate as a Cab.

To further your education....I'll explain this.

If an Owner like me, decided to drive the day shifts, Monday to Friday, the gross meter take would be about $2300.00, all mine.  About $119,000.00 pa.  Then you can add the  seven night shifts, and the two weekend day shifts (half of meter total to me) and you'll get the idea.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 9:16pm

Aussie wrote on Jan 24th, 2017 at 9:12pm:
It is not the business, Numpty.  It is the Licence (your word is 'plate.')  The Qld Taxi Industry is not a 'business' like your corner store.

If an Owner like me, decided to drive the day shifts, Monday to Friday, the gross meter take would be about $2300.00, all mine.  About $119,000.00 pa.  Then you can add the  seven night shifts, and the two weekend day shifts (half of meter total to me) and you'll get the idea.
I see, so theres substantially more money in it for the owner than you initially claimed. As long as you have suitably willing drivers willing to work for peanuts. i.e. are willing to exploit migrants. And you want the government to support your exploitation scam.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #23 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 9:21pm

rhino wrote on Jan 24th, 2017 at 9:16pm:

I see, so theres substantially more money in it for the owner than you initially claimed. As long as you have suitably willing drivers willing to work for peanuts. i.e. are willing to exploit migrants. And you want the government to support your exploitation scam.

Sounds like Uber is a better deal for drivers while the taxi system favours the wealthy plate owners.

I think we've made a breakthrough.

IBI

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #24 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 9:50pm

rhino wrote on Jan 24th, 2017 at 9:16pm:

I have been in this Industry now since 2004, and have operated four Cabs.  In that time, I have had many drivers come and go and come back.  That would be at least 30 blokes over that time and three women.  One of the women was a Kiwi.  The other two were lazy Aussies.  Of the blokes, there was a Hungarian, and German and a Sikh.  The Hungarian and German earned, just over Friday and Saturday nights, $1,000.00 + in their pocket.  They drove other nights shifts to add to that.  All the rest were/are Aussie.  Not a POM among them.  Oh...I did have a Frenchie do some fill in shifts...and he too earned very, very good money.

Blow it out your ignorant arse, you have no idea what you are talking about, and you are not interested in facts at all.  You are trying to impress with your flippant 'ho-hum' garbage.  You ain't fooling anyone.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 10:09pm

strange. you previously stated that a good driver can earn $460 a night, and you take half. This is in line with what others claim, now you are saying your drivers are making mega bucks. Uber drivers dont pay half their take as far as i am aware, sounds like a better deal for the drivers to me. Sounds like you are making it up as you go along Ozzy,   No wonder you are so against Uber, they  arent exploited and arent basing the value of their business  on a false premise. From what I can see the value of taxi plates is based on what the owner can charge the driver, not what the actual income is. And you take half their gross?  Shocked Thats exploitation in anyones book, you should be ashamed of yourself for exploiting migrants and the desperate in this way. Pay your drivers a decent wage you disgraceful unethical person.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #26 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 10:21pm

rhino wrote on Jan 24th, 2017 at 10:09pm:
strange. you previously stated that a good driver can earn $460 a night, and you take half. This is in line with what others claim, now you are saying your drivers are making mega bucks. Uber drivers dont pay half their take as far as i am aware, sounds like a better deal for the drivers to me. Sounds like you are making it up as you go along Ozzy,   No wonder you are so against Uber, they  arent exploited and arent basing the value of their business  on a false premise. From what I can see the value of taxi plates is based on what the owner can charge the driver, not what the actual income is. And you take half their gross?  Shocked Thats exploitation in anyones book, you should be ashamed of yourself for exploiting migrants and the desperate in this way. Pay your drivers a decent wage you disgraceful unethical person.

As a great example of your flippancy...where did I say that?

'Wage.'  Drivers are not my employees, Dufus!

'Charge the driver??'  Where do you get that schit from?

As I said, you have no idea, and I could spend all week explaining it to you, but that is not what you want.  You want to pursue your little bitchfest for the sake of it.

One of the things which resonated with me to day at that Meeting I referred to was this comment:

"Don't waste your time with closed minds.  Just tell them 'Have a great day,' walk off and find someone with a brain and willing to listen to facts.  Get their vote."

So, 'Have a great day, Rhino.'

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #27 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 10:23pm

Sounds to me like the gross nightly take of a driver is a living wage,not after the 50% gouge. 

How exactly does an expensive plate benefit either the driver or passenger?

IBI

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #28 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 10:34pm

The Taxi drivers have been all but abandoned when it comes to uber, sounds like government has washed their hands , i refuse to get an account or travel with them because all it's doing is driving down wages , as is obvious in op.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 10:58pm

Aussie wrote on Jan 24th, 2017 at 10:21pm:

As a great example of your flippancy...where did I say that?

'Wage.'  Drivers are not my employees, Dufus!

'Charge the driver??'  Where do you get that schit from?

As I said, you have no idea, and I could spend all week explaining it to you, but that is not what you want.  You want to pursue your little bitchfest for the sake of it.

One of the things which resonated with me to day at that Meeting I referred to was this comment:

"Don't waste your time with closed minds.  Just tell them 'Have a great day,' walk off and find someone with a brain and willing to listen to facts.  Get their vote."

So, 'Have a great day, Rhino.'

youve told me the facts. The facts tell me you are living off someone elses hard work. Grabbing half of someones gross take is pretty disgusting behaviour.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print