Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Life as an Uber driver (Read 3416 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Life as an Uber driver
Jan 24th, 2017 at 9:23am

When it’s too pricey and tiring to go home, some drivers find alternative spots to sleep.

by
Eric Newcomer and Olivia Zaleski

23‎ ‎January‎ ‎2017‎ ‎9‎:‎00‎ ‎PM 

In the 1970s, the Safeway grocery store in San Francisco’s gleaming Marina neighborhood, known as the Social Safeway, was a cornerstone of the pre-Tinder dating scene. Armistead Maupin made it famous in his 1978 book, Tales of the City, calling it “the hottest spot in town” to meet people. For years afterward, locals called it the “Singles Safeway” or the “Dateway.”

Forty years later, German Tugas, a 42-year-old Uber driver, got to know it for another reason: Its parking lot was a safe spot to sleep in his car. Tugas drives over 70 hours a week in San Francisco, where the work is steadier and fares are higher than in his hometown, Sacramento. So every Monday morning, Tugas leaves at 4 a.m., says goodbye to his wife and four daughters, drives 90 miles to the city, and lugs around passengers until he earns $300 or gets too tired to keep going. (Most days he nets $230 after expenses like gas.) Then, he and at least a half dozen other Uber drivers gathered in the Social Safeway parking lot to sleep in their cars before another long day of driving.

“That’s the sacrifice,” he said in May, smoking a cigarette beside his Toyota Prius parked at the Safeway at 1 a.m., the boats in the bay bobbing gently in the background. “My goal is to get a house somewhere closer, so that I don’t have to do this every day.”

The vast majority of Uber’s full-time drivers return home to their beds at the end of a day’s work. But all over the country, there are many who don’t. These drivers live near, but not in, expensive cities where they can tap higher fares, ferrying wealthier, white-collar workers to their jobs and out to dinner—but where they can’t make enough money to get by, even with longer hours. To maximize their time, drivers find supermarket parking lots, airports and hostels where they catch several hours of sleep after taking riders home from bars and before starting the morning commute.

In a sense, drivers sleeping in their cars typifies, in an extreme way, what Uber said it does best: offer drivers flexibility. “With Uber, people make their own decisions about when, where and how long to drive,” the company said. “We’re focused on making sure that driving with Uber is a rewarding experience, however you choose to work.”

Uber drivers across the country swap tips for finding sleeping spots, like: which stores have the most forgiving security guards and where to find free Wi-Fi. In Chicago, drivers call the 7-11 at the intersection of Wrightwood & North Lincoln Avenues the “Uber Terminal.” In Columbus, Ohio, drivers prefer the Walmart off the Jack Nicklaus Freeway. In Queens, New York, drivers are known to frequent the 7-Eleven off JFK Expressway. Drivers on the online forum Uberpeople.net joke that there is money to be made in a motel chain serving the large number of Uber drivers sleeping in their cars in New Jersey.

There's more:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-23/when-their-shifts-end-uber-dr...

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Life as an Uber driver
Reply #1 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 12:52pm

Do Taxi drivers get $230 a day?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 12:56pm

freediver wrote on Jan 24th, 2017 at 12:52pm:

From what I've heard, that figure is about right.

$1,400 per week, for 6 days work.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 1:06pm

well short of a ltard going out and actually giving it a go..

we will never know will we?..

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 1:16pm

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 7:32pm

That is about right as a good driver will have a meter take of around $460.00.  He gets half = $230.00.  But the huge difference is......they get to keep all of that (other than GST and Income Tax.)  The other half goes to the Owner (me) and I have the joy of paying all running costs, fuel the whole kit a caboodle out of it...the driver just parks the Cab up and leaves it for the next driver.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 7:36pm

Thats peanuts. How on earth can a set of taxi plates have such an allegedly high value if theres little money in it? No wonder its only migrants and losers who drive taxis.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 7:40pm

rhino wrote on Jan 24th, 2017 at 7:36pm:
Thats peanuts. How on earth can a set of taxi plates have such an allegedly high value if theres little money in it? No wonder its only migrants and losers who drive taxis.

It's much more than an Uber driver makes.  Many have yet to wake up to the fact that they have to meet fuel bills, replace tyres and pay for heavy vehicle maintenance if they drive as many miles as a Cab does each week.  An experienced WA Uber driver has done his sums and has worked out (before GST and Tax) he is making $4.50 an hour.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 7:43pm

But Uber plates dont cost $400,000

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 7:48pm

rhino wrote on Jan 24th, 2017 at 7:43pm:

So what.  The driver does not own the 'plate.'  I do.  Uber has zero 'plate.'  That is why there is a serious inequity which politicians are gonna have to fix in Qld or they'll see One Nation easily have the balance of power next election.  PHON has publicly declared its full support for the Qld Taxi Industry which is now mobilising behind PHON, warts and all.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 7:58pm

Aussie wrote on Jan 24th, 2017 at 7:48pm:

So what.  The driver does not own the 'plate.'  I do.  Uber has zero 'plate.'  That is why there is a serious inequity which politicians are gonna have to fix in Qld or they'll see One Nation easily have the balance of power next election.  PHON has publicly declared its full support for the Qld Taxi Industry which is now mobilising behind PHON, warts and all.
I see. So you as the owner gets the financial benefit while the drivers work for peanuts. Do you sleep at night?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 8:02pm

rhino wrote on Jan 24th, 2017 at 7:58pm:

I see. So you as the owner gets the financial benefit while the drivers work for peanuts. Do you sleep at night?

Owning a 'plate' is not something one did to make a quid on revenue.  After the bills are paid, there is not much of that $230.00 left for me.  The value was always in the 'plate.'

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 8:04pm

Aussie wrote on Jan 24th, 2017 at 8:02pm:

Owning a 'plate' is not something one did to make a quid on revenue.  After the bills are paid, there is not much of that $230.00 left for me.  The value was always in the 'plate.'
How can the plates be worth anything if theres no income?

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #13 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 8:10pm

rhino wrote on Jan 24th, 2017 at 8:04pm:

Sounds like corruption to me.

IBI

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 8:14pm

Gordon wrote on Jan 24th, 2017 at 8:10pm:
rhino wrote on Jan 24th, 2017 at 8:04pm:

Sounds like corruption to me.
something going on, Ozzy appears to be evading. No business worth $400,000 has almost zero income. I certainly wouldnt buy into a business like that even if I was desperate for a job.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print