Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
USA was prepared to give Falklands to Argentina (Read 351 times)
Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

USA was prepared to give Falklands to Argentina
Jan 23rd, 2017 at 9:38pm

Argentina failed because they started the war too early. If they had waited 3 months the winter weather would have made UK Navy and aircraft operations much more difficult.

USA had an interest in settling the dispute to enhance their reputation and alliances in South America.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/756568/cia-secret-plot-falklands-argentina-u...

Quote:
REVEALED: Secret plot to give Falklands to ARGENTINA & send islanders to live in SCOTLAND

A SECRET CIA plan to hand the Falkland Islands to Argentina and relocate the entire population to Scotland has been revealed following the release of top-secret papers.

The US came very close to stepping in to help Argentina take the islands after they invaded in 1982.

US security bosses were ready to offer Falkland Islanders the option of moving to British territory, with Scotland being touted as a potential new home, or being allowed to stay on the Islands.

The documents reveal US officials were making plans to wrestle the islands from the UK for Argentina

Any residents who do not wish to relocate will be free to remain and become Argentinian citizens at the end of three years

However, if they opted to stay they would automatically become Argentinian citizens.

The option of moving abroad would have been sweetened with the promise of a $100,000 grant per person.

The proposed plan, entitled ‘Solution to the Falkland Islands crisis’, was put together by Henry Rowen, the then chairman of the National Intelligence Council.

He wrote: “For a period of three years the inhabitants of the Falkland Islands will be given a chance to consider whether they wish to remain on the Falkland Islands or whether they wish to relocate to an area of British jurisdiction, either in the UK or elsewhere under British sovereignty, with a relocation grant of $100,000 per person.

“It is likely that many residents will find this sufficient inducement to relocate to some other area, perhaps in Scotland or elsewhere where conditions may be similar to the Falkland Islands.”

The plan continues: “Any residents who do not wish to relocate will be free to remain and become Argentinian citizens at the end of three years.

“The cost of the relocation grants to be paid to any residents of the Falkland Islands wishing to relocate elsewhere will be borne fifty/fifty by the Argentinian and British governments.”

The US never got involved in the Falklands War and Britain retained the islands at a cost of more than 900 lives.

Tensions between the countries began after Argentina invaded the Falklands in 1982.

Argentina has long disputed Britain’s territorial claims to the islands, despite 99.8 per cent of Falkland Islanders voting to remain British in a 2013 sovereignty referendum.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: USA was prepared to give Falklands to Argentina
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2017 at 9:47pm

Oh, where have you been, my blue-faced son
And where have you been, my darling young one

IBI

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2017 at 10:02pm

Gordon wrote on Jan 23rd, 2017 at 9:47pm:
Oh, where have you been, my blue-faced son
And where have you been, my darling young one

Gordon you have to stop your perverted fantasizing about indulging in BDSM with me.

I don't want the expense of buying a whip and leather gear to give Gordon the BDSM thrashing he is begging for.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2017 at 10:06pm

Changes in the US perspective, including concerns about the Monroe Doctrine, were widely publicized at the time. What people forget, or cannot remember because they had not been conceived yet, is that there was no international sovereignty issue prior to the invasion.

General Galtieri was facing certain defeat at home, so he invented the idea that Britain had seized the Falklands and South Georgia from Argentina, in a cheap appeal to patriotism. It was a lie.

Whether he invaded then or later, the outcome would have been the same. Galtieri had all the time in the world to fortify the main island, but he put in a weak force mainly of conscripts which he could afford to lose, but whose blood would infuriate the Argentine people, thus securing his presidency.

It is a matter of public record that the Spanish media, who had every traditional reason to support Galtieri, described the General and his invasion in exactly the way I have.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2017 at 10:29pm

The Falklands war was a lose-lose outcome.

The British taxpayer has been paying heavily to support Falklands since the war.

UK built an airport on St. Helena island half way between UK and Falklands for strategic purposes. Cost GBP 285 million plus. However then airport is unusable due to the winds in the locality.

The cost of GBP 66,000 per resident was irrational given that the GDP per capita of the residents is just US$ 2,500 a year.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/sep/21/st-helena-islanders-compensation...

Quote:
It was due to herald the end of St Helena’s status as Britain’s most marooned but populated island outpost, but instead the airport has become a runway to nowhere, on course to take off as the government’s biggest overseas aid fiasco.

The airport cost £285m to build and was due to open on 21 May, intended to boost the economy of the British overseas territory. Instead the opening has been delayed indefinitely after it was discovered that the wind shear was so severe that commercial planes cannot land, leaving the isolated South Atlantic island without a clear economic future and the taxpayer facing a multimillion-pound bill.

There are now demands from the island’s 4,000-strong population for compensation and the St Helena legislative council this week passed a motion calling for an independent inquiry into the catalogue of errors, including where responsibility lies.

Leading figures on the council this week demanded the release of further information from the UK government over when it knew there was likely to be a serious problem with unpredictable and dangerous wind speeds if Whitehall went ahead with building the airport.

The international development secretary, Priti Patel, has responded to the criticism by saying she will establish a panel of experts to look into how the airport can be made to work.

“Clearly some decisions were not up to scratch, but this is not a postmortem. It is about finding a solution,” a government source said. Ministers are resisting offering any compensation to those that made investments on the basis that as many as 30,000 tourists would fly to visit the remote but beautiful island.

As a stop-gap measure, the Department for International Development has also agreed to an extension for RMS St Helena until next year. Built in 1990, the boat, which makes a four- to five-day trip from South Africa, had been due to be decommissioned but will continue as the island’s rusty lifeline.

Although plans for an airport have been circulating in Whitehall for over a decade, DfID was warned of the risk of high winds in a Met Office report commissioned in October 2014 and completed in January 2015. The report, sent to the St Helena government, warned of alarming wind speeds, but the site for the airport had been chosen three years before that report.

Quote:
St. Helena island, part of the British Overseas Territory also encompassing Ascension and Tristan da Cunha islands, is a remote volcanic outpost in the South Atlantic Ocean. It's famous as the place of Napoleon Bonaparte's exile and death, as commemorated by a now-empty tomb. Climbing destinations include the 699 steps of Jacob's Ladder and Diana's Peak, sheltering endemic plant and animal life.
Area: 121.7 km²
Founded: 1659
Population: 4,255 (2008)
GDP per capita: 2,500.00 USD (1998)
Named for: Helena

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2017 at 11:58pm

Reagan cared \ˈfək\ all about those rocks.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #6 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 12:50am

AiA wrote on Jan 23rd, 2017 at 11:58pm:

Nobody cares about the rocks.

If the British or Argentinians believed there was no oil there neither side would care about the Falklands.

If there is oil in proximity to Falklands it is going to be very expensive to service an oil industry without Argentine cooperation.

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Jan 24th, 2017 at 3:48am

Unforgiven wrote on Jan 24th, 2017 at 12:50am:
AiA wrote on Jan 23rd, 2017 at 11:58pm:

Nobody cares about the rocks.

If the British or Argentinians believed there was no oil there neither side would care about the Falklands.

If there is oil in proximity to Falklands it is going to be very expensive to service an oil industry without Argentine cooperation.

Reagan must not have cared about the oil either then. It was his cabinet that saved the day, not him.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print