Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Prevent mass culling of male chickens (Read 275 times)
Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Prevent mass culling of male chickens
Jan 23rd, 2017 at 4:26pm

This indeed is the most horrible aspect of commercial egg production, the mass slaughter of male hatchlings.

This new technology looks very promising,  genetically marking and destroying eggs destined to become males before they hatch.

Most animal rights activists are also anti-gmo so I guess there will be some rather conflicted views on this

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-12/marking-male-embroys-a-solution-to-egg-industry-dilemma/7236322?pfmredir=sm

IBI

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Prevent mass culling of male chickens
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2017 at 4:37pm

yes I am in favour of that and it would save a person actually having to do it every day...it is sad but thats life really the chicken is more for meat now than eggs...and one male does a whole shed full...well gordy even human male days could be numbered...

just sayin!

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2017 at 5:21pm

"Dr Tizard said international experts agreed genetic modification was not an issue in this case.

"The process we use to mark the males does involve a genetic modification, an introduction of the marking gene, the green fluorescent protein gene," he said.

"That gene segregates and if it's male it will carry the gene and if it's female it won't. It's an on-off situation; you can't partly carry the gene."

As long as genetically modified material isn't getting into the gene pool, the objections of many would abate.

I for one am for anything that combats the absolute horror that is the plight of the male chicken.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2017 at 5:23pm

Gordon wrote on Jan 23rd, 2017 at 4:26pm:
This indeed is the most horrible aspect of commercial egg production, the mass slaughter of male hatchlings.

This new technology looks very promising,  genetically marking and destroying eggs destined to become males before they hatch.

Most animal rights activists are also anti-gmo so I guess there will be some rather conflicted views on this

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-12/marking-male-embroys-a-solution-to-egg-industry-dilemma/7236322?pfmredir=sm

Sounds like you care more for chickens than humans... Cheesy

Don't forget the 800,000 geese & ducks of France...... Wink

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2017 at 5:31pm

mothra wrote on Jan 23rd, 2017 at 5:21pm:
"Dr Tizard said international experts agreed genetic modification was not an issue in this case.

"The process we use to mark the males does involve a genetic modification, an introduction of the marking gene, the green fluorescent protein gene," he said.

"That gene segregates and if it's male it will carry the gene and if it's female it won't. It's an on-off situation; you can't partly carry the gene."

As long as genetically modified material isn't getting into the gene pool, the objections of many would abate.

I for one am for anything that combats the absolute horror that is the plight of the male chicken.

This is the most recent article I've found but I listened to a discussion on it and the hatcheries would love to use it but the egg producers are afraid of customer blowback, mostly thanks to wider scare campaigns against anything remotely related with GMO.

Is this genetic modification?
The short answer is yes — and that has already upset anti-genetic modification groups like the Safe Food Foundation.

This bit is fair enough....

"I wouldn't be satisfied that any genetic modification is safe unless it's been through an exhaustive method of testing by independent bodies," Mr Kinnear said.

But it always seems anti-GMO groups are never satisfied even when exhaustive test have been done.

IBI

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print