Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Nice shootin' Brah (Read 3960 times)
BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Nice shootin' Brah
Jan 23rd, 2017 at 1:42pm

A sniper taking out a target at nearly 2 kilometres is always impressive until a sniper takes out 3 targets at nearly 2 kilometres with one round.

Well done Mate.  Smiley Smiley

A British sniper in Iraq killed three ISIS terrorists with one bullet in what has been described as a shot in a million.
The SAS marksman fired one bullet that killed two men instantly before it ricocheted into a third during a November mission in a remote northern Iraqi village.
The sniper fired his single .338 Lapua Magnum bullet from a L115A sniper rifle from a range of 1,800m just as the senior ISIS members prepared to fire shots into a crowd of women and children.
A source told The Daily Star Sunday that the shooting happened during a covert SAS intelligence gathering as the troops monitored Islamic State-controlled areas while Iraqi forces advanced toward Mosul.
The SAS squad was tracking the IS members when dozens of women and children tried to flee from the extremists.
When the terrorists ordered the civilians to stop and pointed a machine gun at the crowd from a second-storey window, the SAS team decided they had no choice but to open fire and save the fleeing group.
The sniper, whose rifle was fitted with a suppressor to reduce noise, fired his once-in-a-lifetime shot.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4145070/SAS-sniper-kills-THREE-ISIS-figh...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

IP Logged

Vic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne Victoria
Re: Nice shootin' Brah
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2017 at 3:06pm

BigOl64 wrote on Jan 23rd, 2017 at 1:42pm:
A sniper taking out a target at nearly 2 kilometres is always impressive until a sniper takes out 3 targets at nearly 2 kilometres with one round.

A British sniper in Iraq killed three ISIS terrorists with one bullet in what has been described as a shot in a million.
The SAS marksman fired one bullet that killed two men instantly before it ricocheted into a third during a November mission in a remote northern Iraqi village.
The sniper fired his single .338 Lapua Magnum bullet from a L115A sniper rifle from a range of 1,800m just as the senior ISIS members prepared to fire shots into a crowd of women and children.
A source told The Daily Star Sunday that the shooting happened during a covert SAS intelligence gathering as the troops monitored Islamic State-controlled areas while Iraqi forces advanced toward Mosul.
The SAS squad was tracking the IS members when dozens of women and children tried to flee from the extremists.
When the terrorists ordered the civilians to stop and pointed a machine gun at the crowd from a second-storey window, the SAS team decided they had no choice but to open fire and save the fleeing group.
The sniper, whose rifle was fitted with a suppressor to reduce noise, fired his once-in-a-lifetime shot.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4145070/SAS-sniper-kills-THREE-ISIS-figh...

Wow - impressive.    The way successive governments are ripping money from defence here Big, soon this will be what is expected of our people - ammunition cut by 2/3s !

Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies
Football, Meat Pies, Kangaroos and Liberal Lies

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #2 - Jan 23rd, 2017 at 3:22pm

Vic wrote on Jan 23rd, 2017 at 3:06pm:
Wow - impressive.    The way successive governments are ripping money from defence here Big, soon this will be what is expected of our people - ammunition cut by 2/3s !

I agree, if the defence budget hadn't been rising progressively since the 90s from about 6 billion to 24 billion.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #3 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 5:30pm

They already did - cut 7.62 down to 5.56.... but you could carry three hundred rounds easily of 5.56... it just wouldn't travel as far... a few ops in Afghanistan could have benefited from having a couple of 7.62 weapons around.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 5:38pm

Whoooaaaa ... !! Hold it right THERE, Bucko!

Quote: 'The sniper, whose rifle was fitted with a suppressor to reduce noise ...

Silencers have one great disadvantage - they severely limit the distance the bullets can be fired.

I'm putting this story in the 'Doubtful' file.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 5:59pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Jan 30th, 2017 at 5:38pm:

Quote: 'The sniper, whose rifle was fitted with a suppressor to reduce noise ...

Silencers have one great disadvantage - they severely limit the distance the bullets can be fired.

I suggest you do the research, they wouldn't use them as a long range sniper rifle if they weren't a long range sniper rifle.

This is not a couple hillbillies on a pig shooting trip.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 7:44pm

BigOl64 wrote on Jan 30th, 2017 at 5:59pm:
I suggest you do the research, they wouldn't use them as a long range sniper rifle if they weren't a long range sniper rifle.

This is not a couple hillbillies on a pig shooting trip.

1,800 meters with a suppressor screwed on the end?

Nup.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jan 30th, 2017 at 8:30pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Jan 30th, 2017 at 5:38pm:

Modern suppressors increase muzzle velocity while reducing recoil and sound by around 25-30Db, the suppressor is like increasing barrel length which allows greater contact time from the pressure wave from the powder with the projectile which gives a slight increase with muzzle velocity.

The .338 lapua projectiles travel faster than the speed of sound they stay supersonic out to 1800+m, the old sniper saying is If you heard it I wasn't aiming for you.

If you use subsonic ammo to eliminate the crack of the projectile breaking the sound barrier then you will lose considerable range and energy, since Kinetic energy is Mass times Velocity squared divided by 2 (MV^2/2) then any reduction in velocity will reduce power by a massive amount since Velocity (meters per second) is squared.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Jan 31st, 2017 at 6:47am

Baronvonrort wrote on Jan 30th, 2017 at 8:30pm:
Modern suppressors increase muzzle velocity while reducing recoil and sound by around 25-30Db, the suppressor is like increasing barrel length which allows greater contact time from the pressure wave from the powder with the projectile which gives a slight increase with muzzle velocity.

The .338 lapua projectiles travel faster than the speed of sound they stay supersonic out to 1800+m, the old sniper saying is If you heard it I wasn't aiming for you.

If you use subsonic ammo to eliminate the crack of the projectile breaking the sound barrier then you will lose considerable range and energy, since Kinetic energy is Mass times Velocity squared divided by 2 (MV^2/2) then any reduction in velocity will reduce power by a massive amount since Velocity (meters per second) is squared.

If you'd posted up the MV^2/2 formula before, I wouldn't be arguing with you. 
So okay - you've convinced me.  Cool

I had always understood that putting a suppressor on the end of a barrel was like making the gun wear a condom.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #9 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 1:40am

Lord Herbert wrote on Jan 31st, 2017 at 6:47am:

I had always understood that putting a suppressor on the end of a barrel was like making the gun wear a condom.

Older suppressors also used to effect accuracy, according to an an old army buddy of Raven's. Though as he understands that flaw has been eliminated in modern suppressors

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 1:19pm

This thing allegedly occurred ages ago, yes?

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #11 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 1:49pm

The problem with your thinking, it discounts the fact that the military industrial complex employs thousands of scientists and engineers solely to make killing more efficient.

I doubt fixing the ballistic issues of suppressors would be too difficult for them.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Feb 16th, 2017 at 9:41am

BigOl64 wrote on Feb 15th, 2017 at 1:49pm:

The problem with your thinking, it discounts the fact that the military industrial complex employs thousands of scientists and engineers solely to make killing more efficient.

I doubt fixing the ballistic issues of suppressors would be too difficult for them.

Hiram Percy Maxim invented mufflers for cars and suppressors for firearms, mufflers became mandatory while hoplophobes are scared shitless by suppressors which make firearms longer therefore harder to conceal.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiram_Percy_Maxim

A car oil filter fitted to a gun barrel makes a crude and effective suppressor.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #13 - Feb 16th, 2017 at 10:10am

Baronvonrort wrote on Feb 16th, 2017 at 9:41am:
A car oil filter fitted to a gun barrel makes a crude and effective suppressor.

Prolly what Ol' herbie was thinking about when he made his comments.  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #14 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 5:45pm

What a pity he wasn't around Nth Bondi yesterday. He could have taken out those 3 Lebbo scum running around with clubs.

IBI

IP Logged

BigOl64
Gold Member

Townsville QLD
Reply #15 - Feb 18th, 2017 at 11:38am

Gordon wrote on Feb 17th, 2017 at 5:45pm:
What a pity he wasn't around Nth Bondi yesterday. He could have taken out those 3 Lebbo scum running around with clubs.

Some times scumbags get away for what ever reason.  Smiley Smiley

54376830.jpg (107 KB | 24 )
54376830.jpg

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print