Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
UK professionals lowest paid in Europe (Read 432 times)
Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

UK professionals lowest paid in Europe
Jan 19th, 2017 at 11:05pm

That's why so many are eagerly seeking to emigrate to Australia, Canada or USA.

Entry level salaries for professionals in UK are equal to Australian minimum wage A$ 34,980.

Of the £24,814 annual earnings, the net is £19,612.32 (= A$ 32,021) after tax and other imposts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jobs/10509841/UK-professionals-among-lowest-p...

Quote:
UK professionals among lowest paid in Europe
Base salaries for entry-level professionals averages just £24,184 - ranking Britain 15th out of the 16 European nations

'The results suggest that Continental European wages have been less severely suppressed over the past few years than in the UK' Photo: PA

By Alan Tovey7:00AM GMT 11 Dec 2013
Pay for professionals starting out in the world of work in the UK is among the lowest in Europe, with only recession-ravaged Portugal lagging behind Britain.

Base salaries for entry-level professionals and experienced administrators in Britain averages just £24,184 - ranking it 15th out of the 16 European nations surveyed by professional services company Towers Watson.

This is just over a third of the £63,245 employees in top-ranked Switzerland can expect and slightly more than half the £45,464 young professionals in second-placed Denmark can expect to earn.

Similarly positioned staff in last-placed Portugal can expect to earn an average of £22,440 a year - £1,744 less than their British-based peers.

“The results suggest that Continental European wages have been less severely suppressed over the past few years than in the UK,” said Darryl Davis, a senior consultant in Towers Watson’s data services team. “This may be due to stronger unionisation for employees in many European countries.”

Soapbox: Employers National Insurance should be scrapped altogether says David Spencer-Percival 09 Dec 2013
The findings come out of Towers Watson’s Global 50 Remuneration Planning Report, which also examines the tax burden in each country, as well as the cost of living, to establish how much buying power employees get from their pay. This measure gives an indication of what an employee’s net income will provide within their country of residence.

When this is taken into account, the salaries for UK employees look more competitive as lower taxes and cheaper living costs make the country more affordable than many of our European neighbours.

This means that despite the relatively low pay, entry-level professionals in the UK are ranked sixth when it comes to purchasing power, above France, the Netherlands, Spain and Italy.

Chris Charman, director of Towers Watson’s Rewards practice, said: “Although dependent on prevailing exchange rates, these data show that from a cost perspective the UK is relatively attractive for business compared with European peers.
“Despite a common labour market in the EU, it is striking to see how divergent base pay levels remain across the Continent. But employers need to be mindful of the total package; for example in some countries such as the UK, annual bonuses play a more prominent role in addition to base pay.”
« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2017 at 11:14pm by Unforgiven »  

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Re: UK professionals lowest paid in Europe
Reply #1 - Jan 20th, 2017 at 8:02am

Blame the immigrants who will work for a bowl of rice a day!

Just ask Herb!

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jan 20th, 2017 at 10:39am

I went to Denmark... I kid you not it is the most expensive country  i would think in the world...they also pay one of the highest taxes...how they do it I do not know.. I do know many many of them travel everywhere by bike...everyone uses them.. but food and meat in particular is dear... I dont think their wages are all that high either...... we always compare wages with whats paid in our own country.. but if you go to these countries like Britain   they seem to be doing awfully well....and when I was overseas.. I didnt hear the whingeing and asking for more and more like goes on here..... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

make of that what you will..

you reckon our professionals are well off but it doesnt stop them wanting more does it?

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2017 at 10:41am

havent seen too many Brits here but Indians in out hospitals   yes...

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #4 - Jan 22nd, 2017 at 2:14pm

cods wrote on Jan 20th, 2017 at 10:39am:
I went to Denmark... I kid you not it is the most expensive country  i would think in the world...they also pay one of the highest taxes...how they do it I do not know.. I do know many many of them travel everywhere by bike...everyone uses them.. but food and meat in particular is dear... I dont think their wages are all that high either...... we always compare wages with whats paid in our own country.. but if you go to these countries like Britain   they seem to be doing awfully well....and when I was overseas.. I didnt hear the whingeing and asking for more and more like goes on here..... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

make of that what you will..

you reckon our professionals are well off but it doesnt stop them wanting more does it?

Our wages maybe high but so is the cost of living in Australia, which is one of the most expensive countries to live in.

Most people that visit Australian freak out on the cost of living.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print