Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Australian university completion rate 66.7% (Read 412 times)
Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Australian university completion rate 66.7%
Jan 19th, 2017 at 12:10am

and worsening.

This is on top of the speculation that Australian education quality is declining.

This problem will not be solved until the reasons for drop-outs are analyzed. A good start would be updated information, not the 2009 information in the story below dated 2017.

It's arguable that drop-outs cause a waste of resources and money. However, it's also arguable that any education is beneficial, even partial degree completion or completion of a few subjects.

But it's also said there are insufficient jobs for current graduates, so having more graduates is not necessarily a good thing.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/education/third-of-university-s...

Quote:
Third of university students failing to complete course

Australia’s university dropout rate is worsening, with one in three students failing to complete the course they began within six years of enrolling, prompting the federal government to name the country’s worst performing institutions for the first time.

As the government moves to force universities to become more transparent about graduate outcomes, a new Department of Education report shows only 66.7 percent of students who enrolled in 2009 completed their courses within six years.

The worst universities for student completions have fewer than half of all enrolled students graduating within six years of beginning a course, in many cases leaving behind debts to the commonwealth never to be repaid.

Dropout rates are the highest in Queensland and the Northern Territory, where there are more indigenous, rural and remote students, while universities in the ACT and Victoria have the country’s best completion rates.

Just over 40 per cent of students who enrolled at Charles Darwin University in the Northern Territory, Central Queensland University and the University of Southern Queensland had completed courses within six years, suggesting a combined dropout of more than 20,000 students.

University of Melbourne had the best completion rate, 88 per cent, which was almost 4 per cent higher than in 2010, while the University of Sydney and the Australian National University also recorded completion rates above 80 per cent.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

AuntieM

Australian Politics

Re: Australian university completion rate 66.7%
Reply #1 - Jan 19th, 2017 at 1:33am

66% actually seems pretty high, to me. 

Does no one else recall sitting in a class first year of University, and having a professor say "Look to your left, then look to your right.  Two of you won't make it to graduation."
??

I thought culling the weakest students was a natural part of the process.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #2 - Jan 19th, 2017 at 2:10am

It would be a better completion rate if high school graduates just took advantage of a gap year and deferred. You spent 40 weeks a year for 12 years studying in primary and high school. Take a break for the year. Work. Then decide if you want to do university.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Jan 19th, 2017 at 11:42am

Unforgiven wrote on Jan 19th, 2017 at 12:10am:
and worsening.

This is on top of the speculation that Australian education quality is declining.

This problem will not be solved until the reasons for drop-outs are analyzed. A good start would be updated information, not the 2009 information in the story below dated 2017.

It is analysed. Universities usually have an entire bureaucracy set up analysing it. It's been there for years, at least 10 years.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jan 19th, 2017 at 11:51am

Being a cynic, I saw that statistic and thought 'that is made up or at best, an estimate'. why? because it is almost PRECISELY 2 out of 3 people. So it is probably no more than a quick assessment rather than calculated from 50,000 uni students.

it might 'sound right', but it isnt accurate at all. It is a guess even if an informed one.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print