Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Music & healing (Read 829 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Music & healing
Jan 10th, 2017 at 2:13pm

Renowned Austrian cellist & conductor, Heinrich Schiff, gave this account to a colleague some years ago:

‘Bach saved my life.’ I asked him what he meant; and he told me that a few years ago (2008), he had a serious stroke, and was in danger of losing all mobility on his left side. As soon as he got to hospital, and realised what was happening, he started (almost instinctively, I imagine) to go through the fingerings of the Prelude to Bach’s first suite, (at first in his mind and later . . .)moving his fingers ceaselessly to the imaginary music. He did this for about 20 hours a day, he thinks; and gradually his whole body came back to life, powered by those fingerings. It is an amazing story (and he said he was happy for it to be generally known).Today you would never guess that he could have been half-paralyzed, possibly even incapable of speech – or worse. The miracle of Bach – and of Heinrich. -

Schiff died recently.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print