Send Topic Print
Back to Basics (Read 6480 times)
issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Back to Basics
Jan 4th, 2017 at 7:09am

Religionists concern themselves with morals and the origin of the Universe.

Co-operation is the basis of morals. To paraphrase the US constitution, I hold this truth to be self-evident.

Here is one example of why I believe people of average intelligence do not need ancient scripture to tell them what is the right thing to do. Note, in the video, the toddler's number one concern is to free his brother, when he could have laughed or gone to play with something else. Would he have been wrong if he did? Not wrong, just inhuman, or immoral if you like the word.

Why? Empathy, a quality which is missing in the mentally deficient, or those who have had their minds  poisoned by something. Unfortunately, that poison is often religion.

But then their is the belief in sacred knowledge of the origin of the Universe; a discussion that, when separated from ancient scripture, is more fitting for a super hero movie, if you are still entertained by such twaddle.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-38495647

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Re: Back to Basics
Reply #1 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 10:54pm

I believe in twaddle, because i am not an atheist.

I hold this truth to be self-evident.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 11:15pm

Yadda wrote on Jan 7th, 2017 at 10:54pm:

Grin

That is indeed correct Yadda, you do believe in twaddle.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2017 at 12:12am

Raven's current sig line reads.....

Never trust a person who can clear their conscience of an immoral act by asking an imaginary friend for forgiveness.

A person who expresses regret [repentance] and seeks forgiveness, after recognising that he/she has caused harm to another,         proves [at least] that he/she has a functioning conscience.

A person who repeatedly commits harmful acts to others [esp. for the sake of selfishly pursuing their own sensual pleasure],             .....thereby, demonstrate by their lack of regret, prove that he/she has lost his/her way.

Psalms 32:1
Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.
2  Blessed is the man unto whom the LORD imputeth not iniquity......

Isaiah 54:17
.....This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, ....their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

Romans 4:6
Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works,
7  Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered.
8  Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin.

1 Corinthians 1:21
For.....it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

Atheists, cannot believe.

Atheists, have no ability [given to them] to believe.

Why not ?

Because to believe,        ....is a gift, given of God the creator.

Romans 9:13
As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated.
14  What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.
15  For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
16  So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.
17  For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.
18  Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.
19  Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?

It just isn't fair, is it !           Tongue          Angry                   Angry                   Angry

Life's a complete  b itch  ,      and then we die !

Yadda said....
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1435998745/0#0
Quote:

We have no power, to choose God.

It is God who chooses us.

What does that mean ?

It means that, with all of my heart, i searched for God.

1 Chronicles 28:9
And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the LORD searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever.

It is easy to 'forsake' God,         .......just as most men choose 'to go native' in this world.

Just like Esau.

"....as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright."

And that, is their choice.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2017 at 7:39am

Yadda wrote on Jan 7th, 2017 at 10:54pm:

You don't hold any truth to be self-evident. You believe what others believed and are said to have written, as you cite in just about every post. That is no different to communists following the teachings of Marx or Mao. Face it Yadda, you are just another little follower of other men.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2017 at 9:25am

issue,

Yep.

I can see, that i'll just have to face up to it.....

I'm just a conformist, a follower of other men,          ....and there isn't a new expansive thought in my head.

Hasn't been, for many a year.

And, i believe in twaddle,         because i am not an atheist [aka, a free thinker, a person who is not constrained by the ideologies of other men].

And i hold that truth to be self-evident.

« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2017 at 9:30am by Yadda »  

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #6 - Jan 8th, 2017 at 11:15pm

Yadda wrote on Jan 8th, 2017 at 12:12am:
Yadda said....
Quote:

Not really, geography chooses for you. You were born in Australia therefore there was a very high chance you would follow Christianity.

If you were born in Iran then there would have been a high chance you would be Muslim.

If you were born in remote Africa then you would believe in Saraka the mountain god.

Religion is just geography.

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 6:54am

There are a lot of people who either think God has chosen them, or say God has chosen them. As I have said before, you would have to find out what they meant by God. But it is always the same, you are supposed to know what they are talking about. But "God" is not what this thread is about. Its about an innate sense of empathy.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #8 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 9:07am

issuevoter wrote on Jan 9th, 2017 at 6:54am:
There are a lot of people who either think God has chosen them, or say God has chosen them. As I have said before, you would have to find out what they meant by God. But it is always the same, you are supposed to know what they are talking about. But

"God" is not what this thread is about.

Its about an innate sense of empathy.

issuevoter,

You have stated that the focus of this thread, the focus of the OP, is on human empathy.

Not about 'God' [or religion].

Suggesting/inferring that to be relevant our posts should focus on human empathy.

Quote:

Religionists
ancient scripture
inhuman
immoral
the mentally deficient
their minds poisoned by something
religion
the belief in sacred knowledge
ancient scripture, is
twaddle.

John 15:13
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #9 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 9:45am

Yadda said....
Quote:

Raven wrote on Jan 8th, 2017 at 11:15pm:

Not really,
geography chooses for you. You were born in Australia therefore there was a very high chance you would follow Christianity.

If you were born in Iran then there would have been a high chance you would be Muslim.

If you were born in remote Africa then you would believe in Saraka the mountain god.

Religion is just geography.

No real argument, about the influence which      the culture      which we are born into, tends to have upon us.

I [like millions of others] was born in a 1st world nation.

I, and everyone born in the 1st world, has an advantage.

We were blessed, by fate.

Our predetermined fate.

Others were not so blessed.

Dictionary;
fate = = the development of events outside a person’s control, regarded as predetermined by a supernatural power.

But i would maintain this proposition......

Yadda said....
Quote:

But we have a choice.

This world can be a distraction to us.

But that circumstance can never detract from the underlying nature which is in each one of us.

Some for good.

And some, decidedly, choose deceit and violence, and wrongdoing.

Matthew 12:35
A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.

---------- >

Quote:

"People shouldn't have to drop their cultures and traditions when they arrive in our cities and countries."

- Sadiq Khan

ISLAMIC culture ?

The 'ISLAMIC culture' which Sadiq Khan says, moslems should be free to promote and foster in the West,
               .....is the very same ISLAMIC culture which encouraged Farhad Khalil Mohammad Jabar, to murder Australian Curtis Cheng].

i.e.
Farhad Khalil Mohammad Jabar committed that atrocity against an un-armed Australian because Farhad Khalil Mohammad Jabar was 'rightly offended' by Australian culture.

Farhad Khalil Mohammad Jabar....was offended, by the Australian culture,             ....which rejected the imperatives of ISLAMIC culture!

IMAGE...

Farhad Khalil Mohammad Jabar outside Parramatta police headquarters

n.b.
Farhad Khalil Mohammad Jabar simply      did     what ISLAM's imperative conditioned him to believe, what he ought to do,      TO THE ENEMIES OF ALLAH.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #10 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 7:40pm

God created all the evil in the world and expects us to believe we have no morality without him.

He will kill everyone you love, take everything you own and give you painful diseases just so he can win a bet with the devil.

God made humans, drowns most of them. Favours one race for no reason, makes ten rules then breaks them. Kills himself, gives you common sense then sends you to hell for using it.

We are not moral because of god, we are moral in spite of him.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #11 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 11:57pm

What if we are 'playing' in a fixed game?

I think that we are.

Yadda said.....
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1303676733/207#207
Quote:

What if 'this life' is a fixed game?

i.e.
What if we can't 'win',
...on purpose!

What if we were always 'fated' to fail here [spiritually]?

Speaking of mankind, the Bible states that we have all 'been corrupted' by the cares of this world.

Psalms 14:3
They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
[and Romans 3:10-12]

The Bible states that man is not righteous.
That, our very nature precludes it.
But, has this 'deck of cards' [which we are playing with] been stacked against us!?
IMO, we appear to be playing in a 'fixed' game!

But for a very specific purpose.

Why, you ask?

Think wheat and chaff, think sheep and goats.

Isaiah 48:10
Behold, I have refined thee, but not with silver; I have chosen thee in the furnace of affliction.

I believe that we are all spiritual beings.

And imo, we come 'here' to *experience* this physical existence, specifically [i believe], to exercise [, to experience] the 'power' of choice.

Q.
If that were true, to what purpose?

A.
To show if we can learn from our [mis-taken] choices,  ...or not!

And, imo, it is a given, that we will all make many 'mistakes' [i.e. poor choices].

And that, is 'the fix', in the game.

To me, it appears that mankind's burden in his/her life, is to suffer the 'demands' made upon him/her, by this world.

In fulfilling the 'worldly' demands made upon us, every man is *forced* to make the choice to be sometimes Cain, AND, to be sometimes Abel.

But, within our 'lifetime', [as children of our spiritual father] we are expected to be wise enough, to learn from the mistakes which we make.

To come to that [spiritual] 'place' where we recognise, that we have made many poor choices in our journey here.

And i firmly believe that that [i.e. 'repentance'], is all that God requires of us.

"We're only human. We're supposed to make mistakes."]
- Billy Joel

Isaiah 48:17
Thus saith the LORD, thy Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I am the LORD thy God which teacheth thee to profit, which leadeth thee by the way that thou shouldest go.

Psalms 25:8
Good and upright is the LORD: therefore will he teach sinners in the way.
9  The meek will he guide in judgment: and the meek will he teach his way.
10  All the paths of the LORD are mercy and truth unto such as keep his covenant and his testimonies.

It is not our 'predetermined' fate, to be discarded,      by a 'cruel' God.

We can choose a better fate than that.

How so ?

In this life, we have all learned, that if we take a certain path, it will take us to particular destination.

While another path will take us to another, different destination.

We choose the path, that we take in this life.

[And yes,         it is our nature or our 'character', that will have an influence, upon the path(s) in this life, that we will choose. ! ]

And so, we, choose our destination.

Deuteronomy 32:4
He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #12 - Jan 10th, 2017 at 2:37pm

One day god decides to kill his buddy Moses. His wife, Zipporah, cuts off a part of her son's penis and rubs it on Moses' feet.

This act of genital mutilation so pleased that sick pervert god that he decided not to kill Moses.

Exodus 4:24-26

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #13 - Jan 10th, 2017 at 2:48pm

Yeah, go figure !!!                Tongue

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #14 - Jan 10th, 2017 at 4:10pm

We should all have publicist like god, he's managed to convince people that he is completely different and more moral than the Old Testament days. What an insanely irrational argument that is.

So if you knew someone who was a serial killer their entire life, committed genocide, demanded child offerings and destroyed entire cities.

Would you suddenly start trusting him when he suggests crucifying his son to make up for it?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print