Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NEw Cannabis disease showing up (Read 5330 times)
juliar
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NEw Cannabis disease showing up
Jan 3rd, 2017 at 10:09am

Oh Dear!!  Hi THC Marijuana is finally being recognized as not harmless after all.

Anyone who has done a bit of research knows that Hi THC cannabis is definitely a health hazard as it lodges in the brain and other organs causing a steady mental and physical decline in the sufferer.

Just have a cruise around Nimbin to see former humans reduced to vegetables with legs.

A question for the Anti-Vaxxers - Does smoking cannabis during pregnancy cause Autism ?

Mysterious Marijuana-Related Illness Popping Up In Emergency Rooms. The vomiting illness is increasing in states with legal pot.
Mary Papenfuss Trends reporter, The Huffington Post 03/01/2017 5:31 AM AEDT | Updated 5 hours ago

Doctors are stumped by the science behind cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome.

A mysterious marijuana-related illness is popping up with increasing frequency in hospital emergency rooms, particularly in states where cannabis is now legal.

The symptoms are severe abdominal pain and violent vomiting — and most doctors are initially stumped when they encounter patients with the problem.

The illness is cannabinoid hyperemesis syndrome, which is linked to heavy, long-term use of marijuana, according to experts. For some reason, the nausea and vomiting of CHS can be relieved with hot showers or baths, which can serve as an important hint for physicians trying to diagnose a patient.

Since 2009, when the federal government relaxed its stance on medical marijuana, emergency room diagnoses for CHS in two of Colorado’s hospitals nearly doubled, according to a study co-authored by Dr. Kennon Heard, a physician at the University of Colorado Hospital in Aurora. Now that cannabis is also legal for recreational use in the state, “we are seeing it quite frequently,” Heard told CBS News. “My colleagues are seeing this on a daily to weekly basis.”

Emergency rooms in other areas where cannabis is legal are also reporting more cases of CHS. Georgetown University Hospital in Washington, D.C., and Harborview Medical Center and the University of Washington Medical Center in Seattle are among hospitals reporting an uptick.

Though CHS was first recognized almost a decade ago, not much is known about the illness.

“The science behind it is not clear,” Heard told the Denver Channel. “The most likely cause is that people using marijuana frequently and in high doses have changes in the receptors in their body, and those receptors become dysregulated in some way, and it starts causing pain.”

Dr. David Steinbruner, an emergency room physician at Memorial Hospital in Colorado Springs, believes it’s likely triggered with a significant amount of marijuana. “The corollary would be alcohol. So small amounts may be fine for people, but over a long time it will cause all kinds of problems,” Steinbruner told KDRO-TV.

In its most severe form, the illness can lead to kidney failure — but symptoms stop within days of ending marijuana use.

“Patients are given IV fluids and medication to resolve the vomiting and help with the pain,” explained Heard. “But the treatment is really to stop using marijuana, or at least to cut back severely, and that’s really the only way to make it better.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/2017/01/02/mysterious-marijuana-related-illness...

IP Logged

random
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: NEw Cannabis disease showing up
Reply #1 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 3:19pm

Anybody who has overdosed on THC , particularly the edible version where dosing is difficult gets those symptoms.  It's an overdose, not a new disease.  JFC.

But if you have some science to back up the infotainment that would be nice.

So many farkwits, so little time.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 3:25pm

juliar wrote on Jan 3rd, 2017 at 10:09am:
The symptoms are severe abdominal pain and violent vomiting

Too many Tim Tams and potato chips.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 4:00pm

See this film before it's too late:

IP Logged

random
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jan 18th, 2017 at 1:28pm

I have just one thing to say to those people ...

So many farkwits, so little time.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #5 - Jan 20th, 2017 at 11:48am

random wrote on Jan 16th, 2017 at 3:19pm:
Anybody who has overdosed on THC , particularly the edible version where dosing is difficult gets those symptoms.  It's an overdose, not a new disease.  JFC.

But if you have some science to back up the infotainment that would be nice.

Indeed, because overdosing on alcohol (completely legal) has no adverse effects whatsoever (sarcasm mode off)

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jan 20th, 2017 at 11:53am

these claims are hilarious.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #7 - Jan 20th, 2017 at 11:59am

rhino wrote on Jan 20th, 2017 at 11:53am:
these claims are hilarious.

Which claims and why?

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 2:51pm

All drugs are potentially harmful. Marijuana is insidious though because it seems to be harmless until people become long term users.
I've seen it with my own eyes.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 3:16pm

bogarde73 wrote on Feb 14th, 2017 at 2:51pm:
All drugs are potentially harmful. Marijuana is insidious though because it seems to be harmless until people become long term users.

Most people who become long term users of cannabis are simply self medicating. If they were doing this with legal pharmaceuticals potentially far more dangerous you wouldnt care. Long term use of benzodiazepines for example have shown to significantly decrease life expectancy. People who are on high doses of anti psychotics can barely function and quite often end up drooling retards. Some common anti depressants have shown to increase the risk of suicide. There are no recorded deaths directly attributed to cannabis. Kind of strange for such an "insidious" drug as you suggest , dont you think.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #10 - Feb 15th, 2017 at 8:23am

Sos alcohol.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #11 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 2:21pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Feb 15th, 2017 at 8:23am:

Sos alcohol.

Yes...but this topic isn't about alcohol. Is it?

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #12 - Mar 21st, 2017 at 2:25pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Mar 3rd, 2017 at 2:21pm:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Feb 15th, 2017 at 8:23am:

Sos alcohol.

Yes...but this topic isn't about alcohol. Is it?

No I was merely pointing out the irony whereby one  drug is insidious (and should be banned) because it seems to be harmless before people become long term users whereby another drug that is insidious and seems to be harmless before people become long term users isn't banned.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #13 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 8:25am

I remember people getting sick from smoking pot. It was at the same time they were spraying plantations with paraquat.

You will see the "studies have shown" routine in this Wikipedia reference, but they had to say that to cover their legal asses.

"Paraquat pot"[edit]
During the late 1970s, a controversial program sponsored by the US government sprayed paraquat on cannabis fields in Mexico.[32] Mexico began efforts to eradicate marijuana and poppy fields in 1975. The United States government helped by sending helicopters and tech assistance. Helicopters were used to spray herbicides paraquat and 2,4-D on the fields and contaminated pot began to show up in US market.[33] Since much of this cannabis was subsequently smoked by Americans, the US government's "Paraquat Pot" program stirred much debate. Perhaps in an attempt to deter people from using cannabis, representatives of the program warned that spraying rendered the crop unsafe to smoke. However, a 1995 study found that "no lung or other injury in cannabis users has ever been attributed to paraquat contamination".[34] Also a United States Environmental Protection Agency manual states: "... toxic effects caused by this mechanism have been either very rare or nonexistent. Most paraquat that contaminates cannabis is pyrolyzed during smoking to dipyridyl, which is a product of combustion of the leaf material itself (including cannabis) and presents little toxic hazard."[35]
In a study by Imperial Chemical Industries, rats who inhaled paraquat showed development of squamous metaplasia in their respiratory tracts after a couple of weeks. This study was included in a report given to the State Department by the Mitre Corporation. The U.S. Public Health Service stated that "this study should not be used to calculate the safe inhalation dose of paraquat in humans."[36]

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - May 2nd, 2018 at 10:25am

This Topic was moved here from Drug Policy by freediver.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print