Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Why 18C doesn't limit free speech (Read 8474 times)
Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Re: Why 18C doesn't limit free speech
Reply #90 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 10:58pm

freediver wrote on Jan 6th, 2017 at 5:56pm:
Quote:
Ohhhh... So your freedom is more important than someone else's?

No Raven. You are equally free to start your own website. Just don't deny the holocaust on it or you could end up in jail.

And yet in the Toben thread you argued tirelessly that his free speech should not have impugned. At all.

But in this thread you admit that

Quote:
Yes it is acceptable in certain situations.

What is it you said before?

Quote:
How many would it take before our freedom of speech is restricted? The correct answer is 1.

So are you against restrictions to freedom of speech or is it acceptable in certain situations?

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #91 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 11:06pm

Dnarever wrote on Jan 7th, 2017 at 8:11pm:
The privilege of speech ?

Perhaps the most enlightened post in all of these free speech threads.

We live under an illusion that we rights. We don't, we have privileges.

To quote George Carlin if you think we have rights Google "Japanese American citizens 1942-1945"

Or Google "German and Japanese internment in Australia"

Rights are a myth, we only have privileges. Privileges that can be taken away at anytime.

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #92 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 11:22pm

Quote:
So are you against restrictions to freedom of speech or is it acceptable in certain situations?

I have pointed out to you plenty of times that no right or freedom can be absolute and that I support libel legislation etc. This does not mean that your freedom freedom of speech is restricted by the rules on this site. Can you tell the difference?

Here is my previous post where I said the same thing and suggested you move on.

freediver wrote on Jan 6th, 2017 at 5:56pm:
Quote:
Oh ok so it's perfectly acceptable to limit free speech in certain situations, one of which being "I own this website and if I don't like what you say you can't say it and if you do say it you will be punished."

Yes it is acceptable in certain situations. No this is not one of them. Your freedom of speech implies no right to post on this website. Can you please try to move this forward rather than repeating the same basic points over and over?

Now, do you have any more points to make, or are you just here to whine about the swear word filter? This is your thread Raven, are you conceding all the arguments you made about 18c were wrong?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #93 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 11:25pm

freediver wrote on Jan 7th, 2017 at 10:13pm:
freediver wrote on Jan 5th, 2017 at 9:34pm:
You got me there Aussie, no flies on you. Can I have another try?

Freedom of speech means liberty of speech.

Why not freedom of liberty.

The prerogative of speech ?

Wow, that is even better. How about we let Aussie judge which is the best definition? Then he can use it to demonstrate his infinite capacity for misunderstanding simple concepts.

Good point, FD. We all misunderstood the simple concept of your free speech definition.

It said that libel and vilification laws do not curtail the basic human right to free speech.

Maybe we should ask Wikipedia a few questions, eh?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #94 - Jan 8th, 2017 at 10:01am

freediver wrote on Jan 7th, 2017 at 10:13pm:
freediver wrote on Jan 5th, 2017 at 9:34pm:
You got me there Aussie, no flies on you. Can I have another try?

Freedom of speech means liberty of speech.

Why not freedom of liberty.

The prerogative of speech ?

Wow, that is even better. How about we let Aussie judge which is the best definition? Then he can use it to demonstrate his infinite capacity for misunderstanding simple concepts.

Nah Mr Weasel FD ~ we are after
your
definition, not mine.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #95 - Jan 8th, 2017 at 10:07am

I showed you my definition, remember? Right after you showed me yours. You never did thank me Aussie.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #96 - Jan 8th, 2017 at 10:10am

freediver wrote on Jan 7th, 2017 at 11:22pm:
I have pointed out to you plenty of times that no right or freedom can be absolute

Its quite simple really

If the subject matter is something you agree with then any restriction is a massive issue which threatens the free democratic world.

If the subject matter is something you disagree with then no freedom is absolute., move on.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #97 - Jan 8th, 2017 at 10:17am

freediver wrote on Jan 8th, 2017 at 10:07am:
I showed you my definition, remember? Right after you showed me yours. You never did thank me Aussie.

Save me the trouble of looking back....at what Post # did you do that FD?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #98 - Jan 8th, 2017 at 10:18am

Oh goody. Let's start again.

The_Barnacle wrote on Jan 8th, 2017 at 10:10am:
I have pointed out to you plenty of times that no right or freedom can be absolute

Its quite simple really

If the subject matter is something you agree with then any restriction is a massive issue which threatens the free democratic world.

If the subject matter is something you disagree with then no freedom is absolute., move on.

Who are you referring to Barnacle? Can you back this up with quotes?

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #99 - Jan 8th, 2017 at 10:45am

freediver wrote on Jan 8th, 2017 at 10:18am:

No I can't be bothered.
I am interested in seeing what your definition of freedom of speech is though

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #100 - Jan 8th, 2017 at 11:13am

Ah. You didn't see it either eh?

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #101 - Jan 8th, 2017 at 11:40am

The_Barnacle wrote on Jan 8th, 2017 at 10:45am:
freediver wrote on Jan 8th, 2017 at 10:18am:

No I can't be bothered.
I am interested in seeing what your definition of freedom of speech is though

John Stuart Mill explained it all and outlined four distinct grounds for it in Chapter II: Of the Liberty of Thought and Discussion in his book On Liberty (1869).

Since it is too long for the likes of you, here's the gist for you:
We have now recognised the necessity to the mental well-being of mankind (on which all their other well-being depends) of freedom of opinion, and freedom of the expression of opinion, on four distinct grounds; which we will now briefly recapitulate.
  First, if any opinion is compelled to silence, that opinion may, for aught we can certainly know, be true. To deny this is to assume our own infallibility.
  Secondly, though the silenced opinion be an error, it may, and very commonly does, contain a portion of truth; and since the general or prevailing opinion on any subject is rarely or never the whole truth, it is only by the collision of adverse opinions that the remainder of the truth has any chance of being supplied.
  Thirdly, even if the received opinion be not only true, but the whole truth; unless it is suffered to be, and actually is, vigorously and earnestly contested, it will, by most of those who receive it, be held in the manner of a prejudice, with little comprehension or feeling of its rational grounds. And not only this, but, fourthly, the meaning of the doctrine itself will be in danger of being lost, or enfeebled, and deprived of its vital effect on the character and conduct: the dogma becoming a mere formal profession, inefficacious for good, but cumbering the ground, and preventing the growth of any real and heartfelt conviction, from reason or personal experience.

You could also do yourself a huge service by reading through The Areopagitica by John Milton. It will take about 10 minutes.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #102 - Jan 8th, 2017 at 11:41am

freediver wrote on Jan 8th, 2017 at 11:13am:
Ah. You didn't see it either eh?

What is the Post Number, freediver?

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #103 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 3:04am

This is the essentially the definition of free speech in Australia

Quote:
The Australian Constitution does not explicitly protect freedom of expression. However, the High Court has held that an implied freedom of political communication exists as an indispensable part of the system of representative and responsible government created by the Constitution. It operates as a freedom from government restraint, rather than a right conferred directly on individuals.

Freedom of speech does not mean you get to say whatever you want without consequences. It simply means the government can't stop you from saying it.

Not only in Australia, lets look at the very champions of free speech, the USA and the so called "fighting words" doctrine.

The fighting words doctrine is Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire.

Chaplinsky, a Jehovah's Witness, told a New Hampshire town marshal who was attempting to prevent him from preaching that he was "a God-damned racketeer" and "a damned fascist" and was arrested. The court upheld the arrest and wrote in its decision that

Quote:
There are certain well-defined and narrowly limited classes of speech, the prevention and punishment of which have never been thought to raise any constitutional problem. These include the lewd and obscene, the profane, the libelous, and the insulting or "fighting words" those that by their very utterance inflict injury or tend to incite an immediate breach of the peace. It has been well observed that such utterances are no essential part of any exposition of ideas, and are of such slight social value as a step to truth that any benefit that may be derived from them is clearly outweighed by the social interest in order and morality.

Unlike Chaplinsky we have 18d which is a free pass.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #104 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 3:15am

Now, do you have any more points to make, or are you just here to whine about the swear word filter?

No one cares about the swear filter FD. But it would be nice if you to nailed down your definition of free speech.

It seems to change from thread to thread.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print