Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print
Why 18C doesn't limit free speech (Read 8447 times)
Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Why 18C doesn't limit free speech
Reply #120 - Jan 13th, 2017 at 8:58pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Jan 12th, 2017 at 2:47pm:
freediver wrote on Jan 12th, 2017 at 11:47am:
Yes Karnal?

What's your definition of free speech?

You know when a bozo has no idea - he asks for a 'definition' so he can nit-pick at your dictionary.

Free speech is a uniquely Western idea, karnal, thoroughly discussed by JS Mill but also by Milton. I have posted ref twice.

If you have some 'diverse' definition of it, let us hear it. But you will find that all non-Western 'definitions' are mere special pleadings for exemption from the Western - ie universal - notions of free speech on the basis of some local superstition. The Muslims are a stark and ever-present case in point of superstition' special pleading. As a reaction to the West's freedom of speech - a threat to Islam - they have a Koranic, reactionary definition.

Freedom of speech, conscience, religion etc are either universal values -even if it was whitey who thought of them first - or they are not (BECAUSE white thought of them first).

The 'coloured' people's dilemma in a nutshell- resent reason because it's 'white thinking' or go along with it and be called Uncle Sam.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #121 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 12:23pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Jan 13th, 2017 at 8:30pm:
freediver wrote on Jan 13th, 2017 at 8:12pm:
Ah. You missed it to eh?

No, I asked what it was.

I can ask another question if you like.

I'd like to get to the bottom of this one first. What happened to Aussie the internet detective? I think his grand plan of pulling apart my definition amounted to asking me what is was again.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #122 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 12:54pm

freediver wrote on Jan 16th, 2017 at 12:23pm:
Ah. You missed it to eh?

No, I asked what it was.

I'd like to get to the bottom of this one first.

No, FD, that's another question. You don't want to provide your definition of free speech. No worries. You just want to make lots of posts about it.

So, onto the next question, do you approve of the use of porkie pies in your crusade for free speech?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #123 - Jan 16th, 2017 at 2:27pm

Ah. You missed it to eh?

No, I asked what it was.

I'd like to get to the bottom of this one first. What happened to Aussie the internet detective? I think his grand plan of pulling apart my definition amounted to asking me what is was again.

I have never seen your definition of free speech, freediver, even though I have asked you for it a gazillion times.  Sorry, I could not do it recently, because one of your GMods banned me by banning my email address, covertly it seems.  Did you know that, FD.

Angry

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #124 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 12:15pm

Doesn't sound like you want to answer my supplementary question either, FD.

But I'm curious. Does your secret definition of freedom of speech include the right to express your opinion?

Why do you think someone would reject that right? Do you think that they may be a tad scared of the consequences of expressing their opinion? Why or why not?

And what might the consequence be for someone confessing to their support for porkies in the name of Freeeeedom?

How might others interpret the views of such a person, based as they are, on a belief in the propagation of lies?

These are questions, FD.
« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2017 at 12:21pm by Mattyfisk »  

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #125 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 12:32pm

We must resist with every fibre of our beings the attempts to dismantle "Freedom of Speech'.

Apologists come along waving banners of racism and other titles in attempts to strangle debate on just about everything.

Freedom of Speech means just that and we as a society must live the consequences that come with this Freedom.

Many times we may well be offended by what is written or televised but in order for a Society to function properly this Freedom must be guarded with all our might.

In The Friends of Voltaire, Hall wrote the phrase: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" (which is often misattributed to Voltaire himself) as an illustration of Voltaire's beliefs. Hall's quotation is often cited to describe the principle of freedom of speech.

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #126 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 12:38pm

red baron wrote on Jan 17th, 2017 at 12:32pm:
We must resist with every fibre of our beings the attempts to dismantle "Freedom of Speech'.

Apologists come along waving banners of racism and other titles in attempts to strangle debate on just about everything.

Freedom of Speech means just that and we as a society must live the consequences that come with this Freedom.

Many times we may well be offended by what is written or televised but in order for a Society to function properly this Freedom must be guarded with all our might.

In The Friends of Voltaire, Hall wrote the phrase: "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" (which is often misattributed to Voltaire himself) as an illustration of Voltaire's beliefs. Hall's quotation is often cited to describe the principle of freedom of speech.

Damn straight. 

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #127 - Jan 18th, 2017 at 9:48pm

Aussie wrote on Jan 16th, 2017 at 2:27pm:
Ah. You missed it to eh?

No, I asked what it was.

I have never seen your definition of free speech, freediver, even though I have asked you for it a gazillion times.  Sorry, I could not do it recently, because one of your GMods banned me by banning my email address, covertly it seems.  Did you know that, FD.

Angry

Is that why you missed it Aussie? It did not stop you demanding I provide you the post number. Do you forget about that also?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #128 - Jan 19th, 2017 at 10:39am

freediver wrote on Jan 18th, 2017 at 9:48pm:
Aussie wrote on Jan 16th, 2017 at 2:27pm:
Ah. You missed it to eh?

No, I asked what it was.

Angry

Is that why you missed it Aussie? It did not stop you demanding I provide you the post number. Do you forget about that also?

No, I well remember you ignoring the requests.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 
Send Topic Print