Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Anyone for pizza? (Read 2540 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Anyone for pizza?
Dec 29th, 2016 at 1:08pm

I made myself the most delicious pizza for lunch.
No commercial substitutes for me.

The most important things for pizza, in my humble opinion, are the following:

1. the sauce: ideally a home made tomato sauce, but who does that now. But I find some olive oil & oregano added to tomato paste does just fine.

2. the base: the bread machine makes quite a good dough, but I like to roll it out fairly thin

3. the topping: I suppose it's a matter of taste, but really, as in all things except money, less is better. A few olives scattered in random geometric pattern over a very light sprinkling of cheese covered with some thin slices of tomato.
(Aldi had tubs of Kalamata olives in oil with garlic pieces added - just superb)

4. the finale: without this you are missing the absolute piece de resistance. Scatter a few leaves of fresh basil over the pizza when it comes out of the oven.

Buon appetito

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Re: Anyone for pizza?
Reply #1 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 9:57am

Try making the dough the day before then let it ferment overnight in the fridge—a long ferment puts flavor into bread/pizza dough.

For sauce, a can of peeled tomatoes, whizz in blender or food processor until the tomato is just paste. Add the juice as well as the tomatoes. If you overwhizz it it will be watery. Oregano, puree can be added before whizzing.

Buy a pizza stone if you don’t already have one.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 1:01pm

I'll keep that in mind for the dough though making pizza is usually spur of the minute for me.
As for the sauce, yep that sounds good except a can of tomatoes would be too much for me alone, although I could freeze the excess for next time.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #3 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 6:42pm

Or make an extra pizza and freeze that.

Finely chopped anchovies really enhance flavor of a stew or sauce etc. Don’t add other salt then or salty cured meats like prosciutto.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2017 at 11:11pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Jan 1st, 2017 at 9:57am:
Try making the dough the day before then let it ferment overnight in the fridge—a long ferment puts flavor into bread/pizza dough.

For sauce, a can of peeled tomatoes, whizz in blender or food processor until the tomato is just paste. Add the juice as well as the tomatoes. If you overwhizz it it will be watery. Oregano, puree can be added before whizzing.

Buy a pizza stone if you don’t already have one.

It does not matter if it is watery. When you apply to the dough, you are going to smother it with cheese, and all sorts of goodies that go well cooking in the oven at 180 degrees for 10 minutes. Have the right sort of pizza tray oiled up nicely before rolling the dough over it, and you should have a decent base for topping.

When you put the toppings on, put the vegetables on the bottom and the meat on top. It will cook better and evenly. Don't over top the cheese, or it will ruin the rest of the pizza. Don't undertop it, since there is that stringy texture that people like.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 7:06am

I prefer the classic Italian pizza with hardly any topping at all, as long as it's got that basil on it.

PS don't bring anchovies within 20 feet of me

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #6 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 4:57pm

Chop them up fine, you will be amazed how they enrich a stew or sauce. I have proved this with any number of people.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

WN

The 14 words

Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 4:06pm

Can't beat a home made pizza. I made the mistake of ordering a Dominos pizza not long ago and it was pathetic....basically just a base with an inch of sauce and stuff all topping.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 4:10pm

"Anyone for pizza?"

Donald Trump is said to enjoy cheese pizza.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #9 - Jan 7th, 2017 at 5:21pm

I am not a huge pizza fan and am not one to gush over them but a small local place near me does amazing pizzas.  The best pizzas I have ever had.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jan 17th, 2017 at 8:28pm

Black Orchid wrote on Jan 7th, 2017 at 5:21pm:
I am not a huge pizza fan and am not one to gush over them but a small local place near me does amazing pizzas.  The best pizzas I have ever had.

do they deliver or is it pick up....

i can eat most pizza as long as its pepperoni... Smiley

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #11 - Jan 21st, 2017 at 3:47pm

They deliver but they are so close it's easier to send someone up the road to pick them up and Pepperoni is my favourite too  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print