____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Re: Bitcoin Kills Gold
Reply #15 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 4:26pm

Bobby. wrote on Dec 24th, 2016 at 2:30pm:
miketrees wrote on Dec 24th, 2016 at 2:20pm:
Stuffed if I know how you counterfeit gold ,,, that chart looks dodgy to me.

I will stay with gold.

Bitcoin could easily be outlawed by Governments then
where would you be?

`

How?
It's decentralised and outside any government's control. It would be like banning the internet.

Bitcoin Is Being Monitored by an Increasingly wary US Government.

http://europe.newsweek.com/virtual-currencies-bitcoin-being-monitored-us-governm...

« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2016 at 4:31pm by ____ »  

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #16 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 4:27pm

Redmond Neck wrote on Dec 24th, 2016 at 2:32pm:
____ wrote on Dec 24th, 2016 at 9:12am:
Wallets can be on computers, mobiles, or hard on a kind of UBS.

What is a UBS?

USB.
My bad
i.e
https://www.ledgerwallet.com/

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #17 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 4:29pm

Redmond Neck wrote on Dec 24th, 2016 at 2:30pm:
What Australian shops accept bitcoin?

You would have to search engine that.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #18 - Dec 24th, 2016 at 4:46pm

____ wrote on Dec 24th, 2016 at 4:29pm:
Redmond Neck wrote on Dec 24th, 2016 at 2:30pm:
What Australian shops accept bitcoin?

You would have to search engine that.

I tried that not a recent list although found a few including Bunnings

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #19 - Jan 2nd, 2017 at 12:12pm

____ wrote on Dec 24th, 2016 at 7:17am:
I see Bitcoin at $4000-5000 by the 2020 halving event which will reduce new supply even further. At In that same time frame I do not see Gold passing $1750.

sounds like marketing to me. There is no mention of just how volitile Bitcoin is.

Bitcoin is currently trading at $1000 USD but those who bought in the 2013 bubble are still out of pocket

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #20 - May 22nd, 2017 at 10:47am

Bitcoin: bubble or money?

On Saturday the price of one Bitcoin reached an all-time high of US$2000; at the time of writing, two days later, it is nudging US$2100, or A$2,800, and is not far off double the price of that more traditional alternative currency, gold.

Count me wide-eyed and nonplussed. What exactly is this thing that now costs the same as quite a nice TV — more than a return ticket to New York? And is it a bubble?

Bubbles are notoriously hard to identify in real time. When the item in question has fallen by 50 per cent, or better still returned to zero, it can safely be declared to have been a bubble. In the meantime it is merely a puzzle.

When Bitcoins rose in price from $1 to $100 there were plenty of sage observers saying it was a bubble; likewise when it did another 10-bagger from $100 to $1000. But demand continues to exceed supply, such that the price is close to tripling in 2017.

Which raises two questions: what demand? And what supply?

In some ways the second is easier to answer than the first. Bitcoins are mined with computers, lots of them, doing insanely complex algorithmic calculations. In fact it’s now so difficult and competitive that special hardware called Application-Specific Integrated Circuits (ASICs) are used because using old CPUs, or even the first generation of ASICs, costs more in electricity consumption than the Bitcoin mined is worth.

Apparently the cost of mining a Bitcoin is currently US$1200, which provides a better margin than mining gold and explains why there’s such a rush on to “dig” them up.

It also explains why there is a fairly earnest effort at emulation and substitution going on: Wikipedia lists 24 other crypto-currencies, the most recent being Zcash, which was materialised in 2016 by one Zooko Wilcox and is described as “the first open, permissionless financial system employing zero-knowledge security”.

“Zero-knowledge” sounds like the one for me. Zcash currently sells for a snip at US$112.23 each, having reached US$1800 soon after it listed last October, so not a good one for the stags.

But back to Bitcoin, the market leader. There are two things that distinguish it from gold and help explain its superior price performance: first, the Bitcoin network automatically adjusts the difficulty of mining it every two weeks or so, making it harder so that the rate of “mine production” is kept steady as more and more energy and computational power is employed around the world and second, the total number of Bitcoins is to be capped at 21 million.

I read that 14 million have been mined so far, and counting. What happens when the number of 21 million is reached? Now that is an interesting question for monetary theorists, especially those within the hallowed walls of the world’s central banks, where there is no limit to the amount of dollars, euros and yen that can be mined, and where hardly any electricity at all is consumed in “mining” billions of them each week.

It used to be that currencies issued by central banks had to be backed by gold actually dug up out of the ground and refined, and before that silver as well, but those archaic shackles were finally removed on August 15th, 1971, since when the value of a dollar has collapsed to be one-sixth of what it was then.

So in one sense the demand for Bitcoins can be explained simply by the desire of many for a currency that can’t be debased by politicians and central banks: whose supply is limited and the difficulty of creating it gets harder all the time, rather than easier as economic principles are bent to order.

As a keen, heavy investor in Bitcoin was quoted as saying last week: “I think that something has to replace the current monetary insanity. It may or may not be Bitcoin. I don’t know what it is. I’m worried about the system — the integrity of the system. You can’t navigate that by working within the system. You have to be outside the system. Bitcoin is outside the system.”

That it is. But is it useful, as opposed to being a speculation on the insanity of the current monetary system, a role usually reserved for gold?

Well, it is useful for paying ransoms, particularly in the new digital kidnappings where someone locks your computer and demands Bitcoins to unlock it.

That provides a hint about some of its other non-investment uses, many of which involve some kind evasion of scrutiny.

But there is also a long list of law-abiding online retailers and service providers that accept Bitcoins as payment, including Microsoft, Subway, Bloomberg, Webjet, and Yacht-base.com, a Croatian yacht charter business.

How they all handle the rapidly rising price of Bitcoins can only be guessed at, although while it’s rising there is a nice profit between sale and banking the proceeds. Then again, are Bitcoins banked? I suspect not.

Yes, your correspondent remains wide-eyed, awe-struck and more than little bit left behind.

Does the price of $2800 per Bitcoin make it a more substantial alternative currency, or a speculative bubble that will soon be just a memory, filed away with tulips?

I’m afraid I simply don’t know.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/opinion/alan-kohler/bitcoin-bubble-or-m...

IP Logged

Pho Huc
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Victoria
Reply #21 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 8:26pm

I strongly suggest investors acquire some exposure to cryptographic currencies. I have been day trading crypto for 6 months now, its changing my life.

Just as an update, bitcoin is currently trading at us 2555 after hitting 2999 two weeks ago. My analysis says that it will hit 6-10k us on this price cycle, come back to around present price when it crashes then hit 100k in 18-24 months. Im not investing in bitcoin because it moves to slowly for me, but for people who don't want to learn about ALT coins and the complex crypto-sphere just buy a few bitcoins, chuck them in a paper wallet and forget about them for ten years.

The law locks up the man who steals the goose from the common, but leaves the greater criminal loose who steals the common from the goose (convict saying)

IP Logged

Pho Huc
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Victoria
Reply #22 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 12:20am

The_Barnacle wrote on Jan 2nd, 2017 at 12:12pm:
____ wrote on Dec 24th, 2016 at 7:17am:
I see Bitcoin at $4000-5000 by the 2020 halving event which will reduce new supply even further. At In that same time frame I do not see Gold passing $1750.

sounds like marketing to me. There is no mention of just how volitile Bitcoin is.

http://i68.tinypic.com/33z4ok0.jpg

Bitcoin is currently trading at $1000 USD but those who bought in the 2013 bubble are still out of pocket

Currently trading at 4180, it hit 4500 two weeks ago.

The law locks up the man who steals the goose from the common, but leaves the greater criminal loose who steals the common from the goose (convict saying)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print