Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
All knowledge must be based in experience. (Read 16793 times)
Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
All knowledge must be based in experience.
Dec 18th, 2016 at 1:37pm

All knowledge must be based in experience.

NorthOfNorth wrote on Dec 18th, 2016 at 12:28pm:
Yadda wrote on Dec 18th, 2016 at 12:18pm:
NorthOfNorth wrote on Dec 18th, 2016 at 12:12pm:
Yadda wrote on Dec 18th, 2016 at 12:09pm:
Correct.

It is just a collection of words on paper/parchment,     which we give weight to, of not.

OUR, individual choice.

Careful Yadda...

You're admitting that truth is relative...

What!

You mean, just like our 'convictions' ?               Smiley

"Conviction is the art of being certain."

Yes, that's close... The substance of our convictions should be based on what we honestly accept as 'truth'... With an acceding to the idea that 'truth' is a place enveloped by an impassable 'abyss of doubt', such that the best we can do is make conviction an art form of 'certainty' - the closest we can ever get to a notion of 'absolute truth'.

'absolute truth' eh!

Lets play.       Smiley

Yadda said....
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1325206797/10#10
Quote:

All knowledge must be based in, must come from, experience.

All knowledge, that is worthy of that name, should be a knowledge which is based in experience.

But,      ....and again,         .....we all live through differing experiences!!!!!

So your truth, is valid for yourself.

And then, what is truth for myself, may differ from what is truth for you.

No ?

But its the journey [which is important] no ?

i.e.
How we react, to what we see/find along our path.

i.e.
Every choice we make, may take us down a different path.

And in 'the end', we will find ourselves,         ....at a very specific 'destination'.

Yadda said.....
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1454219198/4#4
Quote:

Pursue truth.

To the best of your current ability, always respect and defend what you understand to be true/truthful.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Re: All knowledge must be based in experience.
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 1:38pm

More, about 'truth'......

NorthOfNorth wrote on Dec 18th, 2016 at 12:28pm:

You, on the other hand, are a committed Christian... You cannot be a (traditional) Christian and entertain doubt (not even by analogy) about the existence of absolute truth, nor consider it a metaphor...

Thank you,          but,..........!!!

I am not a faultless human being.

i.e.
I live in this world,        AND I AM COMPELLED TO LIVE IN THIS WORLD!

And i cannot escape being subject to its deleterious influences.

No ?

And yet, because of my path in this life [i.e. my experiences], i 'believe',           ....and, i seek!

Psalms 69:32
The humble shall see this, and be glad: and your heart shall live that seek God.
33  For the LORD heareth the poor, and despiseth not his prisoners.

Psalms 119:19
I am a stranger in the earth: hide not thy commandments from me.
54  Thy statutes have been my songs in the house of my pilgrimage.

Lamentations 3:31
For the Lord will not cast off for ever:
32  But though he cause grief, yet will he have compassion according to the multitude of his mercies.
33  For he doth not afflict willingly nor grieve the children of men.
34  To crush under his feet all the prisoners of the earth,

From my own experience, am very happy to make myself subject to God's righteousness, and to make myself subject to God's correction.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1214199336/431#431

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 2:28pm

If that is so; Yadda has a lot of experience with the back of public toilet doors where he acquires his knowledge.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #3 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 2:55pm

Unforgiven wrote on Dec 18th, 2016 at 2:28pm:

If that is so;

Yadda has a lot of experience with the back of public toilet doors where he acquires his knowledge.

Unforgettable [and greggery too],

Your posts, even your posts 'describing' me,      say a lot more about who you are, imo.            Grin

And who you are,        is on public display,       for everyone to see.

People are not silly,          ...and those who see your posts, can see,      what is in your head and what is in your heart.

And i'm happy with that.  !!           Cool

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1481862064/23#23

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1481862064/28#28

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1481862064/33#33

Where's Your Head At

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rAOyh7YmEc

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #4 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 3:17pm

Yadda wrote on Dec 18th, 2016 at 2:55pm:

If that is so;

Yadda has a lot of experience with the back of public toilet doors where he acquires his knowledge.

Your posts, even your posts 'describing' me, ... on public display ... for everyone to see...

are true?

Yadda, you are truly lord of the flies and you have a proclivity for public porcelain.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 5:53pm

If that is so; Yadda has a lot of experience with the back of public toilet doors where he acquires his knowledge.

And this comment is the best you can think up for the subject of philosophy. You throw this one out at everyone you don't like. Maybe you will grow out of it, but I doubt it.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #6 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 6:18pm

So Yadda, I read your attempts to express your idea of experience and truth. You probably know by now, were I stand, in that area.

Can you explain why you bother with the quotes from scripture? You cannot support philosophical arguments with dogma. Perhaps you are trying verify your faith with other believers. But the quotes have no effect on the rest of us.

Philosophy is written by plain men, not by prophets and priests. Philosophy is held up, for scrutiny and consideration of its value against the trial of experience. That is not the purpose of scripture, which is to set out rules. No philosopher of intellect would make such demands.

Any discussion of philosophy, and this forum should be such, is made by philosophers. You don't need credentials.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #7 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 10:45pm

issuevoter wrote on Dec 18th, 2016 at 6:18pm:
So Yadda, I read your attempts to express your idea of experience and truth. You probably know by now, were I stand, in that area.

Yes.

Quote:
Can you explain why you bother with the quotes from scripture? You cannot support philosophical arguments with dogma. Perhaps you are trying verify your faith with other believers. But the quotes have no effect on the rest of us.

To most men the Jewish and Christian bible is just an old book, most assuredly filled with myth.

For myself and for many others it is a record of human history and of human experience.
AND, much more.
For me, the words in scripture reach back into the minds of long dead men, and also, for me, its words reflect the mind of God himself.            Blasphemy ?

I quote from scripture, verses [that i think are appropriate] to better explain my reasoning/argument, and yes, sometimes to try to validate my reasoning and argument.
I do not see any incongruity, with [scripture and] what the examination of a verse of scripture can sometimes reveal to our psyche,        with the aims, method, or purpose of the 'practice' of philosophy.
Clearly, you do.
I do not regard scripture as primarily expressing dogma, or as being primarily dogmatic.
I would describe scripture as being a document and [often/predominantly] a narrative, whose purpose is to bring man to reason.    !!!!!!  Yes, i said reason !!!
I would describe scripture as being, 'persuasive', to the psyche of the [perhaps 'wayward' or 'lost'] human individual.
Certainly i found the exploration of scripture to be ['persuasive'], to my own psyche.

IMO, a some of these 'damaged' returned service men, that seem to have [badly] 'lost their way' in this life, would benefit their psyche [i.e. benefit themselves], by the       simple       act of exploring the contents of the Book of Proverbs and the contents of the Book of Psalms.
But i am in no position to have such an influence over their care and well being.
Because those 'damaged' returned service men [those do who seek advice and help] are under the care of qualified 'professionals'.
[and yes, that is disdain in my tone]

Quote:
Philosophy is written by plain men, not by prophets and priests. Philosophy is held up, for scrutiny and consideration of its value against the trial of experience. That is not the purpose of scripture, which is to set out rules. No philosopher of intellect would make such demands.

Philosophy is explored, by men [i.e. those who choose to explore its boundaries].
And not excluding prophets and priests, imo.

Philosophy is an attempt, by flawed men and men with very finite intellectual 'skills', to explore and to try to better understand his reality.     [i.e. to better understand the 'circumstances' that each one of us finds ourselves in]
No ?

The purpose of scripture, is to 'convict' people human beings.
Some people it will ['convict'], imo,      ....on its open/fair examination, and on its serious meditation.
Some people it never will ['convict'].
Those particular human beings that scripture, is able to 'convict', i would suggest, often choose to try to respect the [those] 'rules' which they do comprehend - however imperfectly such attempts at respecting those 'rules' my be.

To my mind....
Rules mean boundaries.
No rules, mean no boundaries.            [...to my mind]
I don't want to live in a society of men, where there are no boundaries.
Q.
Do you ?
Now that! could be an interesting philosophical discussion!!!    Smiley

Quote:
Any discussion of philosophy, and this forum should be such, is made by philosophers. You don't need credentials.

Thank you.             Tongue

« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2016 at 10:51pm by Yadda »  

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #8 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 7:14am

What Scripture means to you, is one thing. The purpose of quoting it here, is another. You seem to be saying that you quote it for your own appreciation, which seems odd, because you could just read it to yourself, and interject yeah, and forsooth.

Its common for God botherers to quote scripture as if these mighty words will suddenly flash their brilliance in the minds of the audience. Its called preaching, and doesn't have much effect on those who don't particularly care. So, if that is your intention, you are wasting your time.

To quote you,

"To my mind....
Rules mean boundaries.
No rules, mean no boundaries.            [...to my mind]
I don't want to live in a society of men, where there are no boundaries."

Very few people want to live without rules, if the effect disadvantages them. You seem to infer that scripture should be the basis of the rules. You could just state that in the beginning and call for a religious constitution.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #9 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 9:47am

issuevoter wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 7:14am:
What Scripture means to you, is one thing. The purpose of quoting it here, is another. You seem to be saying that you quote it for your own appreciation, which seems odd, because you could just read it to yourself, and interject yeah, and forsooth.

Its common for God botherers to quote scripture as if these mighty words will suddenly flash their brilliance in the minds of the audience. Its called preaching, and doesn't have much effect on those who don't particularly care. So, if that is your intention, you are wasting your time.

The preaching, or the making an argument for human sanity,            whatever it is that offends your psyche, i'm sorry.        Cheesy

But you will have to endure it, just a little longer.         Wink

[a solution for yourself, would be, to simply pass over, and do not examine the contents of my posts]

Quote:
To quote you,

"To my mind....
Rules mean boundaries.
No rules, mean no boundaries.            [...to my mind]
I don't want to live in a society of men, where there are no boundaries."

Very few people want to live without rules, if the effect disadvantages them.

You seem to infer that scripture should be the basis of the rules.

You could just state that in the beginning and call for a religious constitution.

Hmmmmm.

You still do not 'get it'.

A 'religious' constitution ?

No, no, no !

What i suggest is;

We shouldn't seek to rule over men [or have others rule over us], guided by a 'constitution' of rules, set out in some books [even if those rules are derived from another set of books].    !!!!

We should seek to find a way, to place a 'constitution' of moral rules deep within our hearts.
[i.e. by voluntarily choosing that state of 'compliance' for ourselves]

Psalms 69:32
The humble shall see this, and be glad: and your heart shall live that seek God.
33  For the LORD heareth the poor, and despiseth not his prisoners.

Psalms 94:12
Blessed is the man whom thou chastenest, O LORD, and teachest him out of thy law;
13  That thou mayest give him rest from the days of adversity, until the pit be digged for the wicked.
14  For the LORD will not cast off his people, neither will he forsake his inheritance.
15  But judgment shall return unto righteousness: and all the upright in heart shall follow it.

Men think that they themselves, have the capacity to solve their problems [about wrongdoing, and about the tendency to a lack of ethical behaviour among men].

We cannot.

Men don't know how to [we refuse to] choose wisely, don't know how to [we refuse to] judge righteously.

Where justice reigns, 'tis freedom to obey.
- James Montgomery

"It is counter-productive to raise children in a world without consequences."
- Temperance Brennan character
Bones - The Bone That Blew

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit.
- Aristotle

"It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities."
- Professor Dumbledore
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

There is nothing that is wrong, that cannot be remedied, by doing what is right.
- ?

Our job is to live as well and as long as we can, and to help others do the same.
- ?

"Glory follows virtue as if it were its shadow."
- Marcus Tullius Cicero, Roman Statesman

"He that serves God for money, will serve the Devil for better wages."
- Sir Roger L’Estrange

< --------- substitute 'the people' for the word God,    and apply it to politicians

« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2016 at 9:56am by Yadda »  

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #10 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 6:03pm

Right of the top of my head, I cannot think of any philosopher who would have had the temerity to offer this to a forum on philosophy:

Yadda: [a solution for yourself, would be, to simply pass over, and do not examine the contents of my posts]

Its another example of your unphilosophical attitude. What are trying to do, preach to the converted?

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #11 - Dec 19th, 2016 at 6:29pm

issuevoter wrote on Dec 19th, 2016 at 6:03pm:
Right of the top of my head, I cannot think of any philosopher who would have had the temerity to offer this to a forum on philosophy:

Yadda: [a solution for yourself, would be, to simply pass over, and do not examine the contents of my posts]

Its another example of your unphilosophical attitude.

What are trying to do, preach to the converted?

issuevoter said....
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1470408177/1#1

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #12 - Dec 20th, 2016 at 9:15am

You need a hobby.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #13 - Dec 20th, 2016 at 1:22pm

issuevoter wrote on Dec 20th, 2016 at 9:15am:
You need a hobby.

My life is full,     so much to do!

So much to explore !

Not enough time.

Tom Petty - Learning To Fly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WowZLe95WDY

IP Logged

Nom de Plume
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - May 1st, 2017 at 7:27pm

Knowledge requires complex language to express same
Complex language requires a genetic predisposition, switched on at a crucial period in a child's development.

Therefore, all knowledge is not based on experience.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print