New books (Read 17673 times)
Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Re: New books
Reply #30 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 5:58pm

Oops, yeah, stuffed that up somehow! Huh Shocked

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Jul 15th, 2017 at 8:43am

Jovial Monk wrote on Jul 12th, 2017 at 2:47pm:
That sounds absolutely fascinating! Must get that one!

For now, Andrew Hodges “Alan Turing: the Enigma” will have to do.

the movie was on  TV not long ago.....what an amazing man........look what we owe him!

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #32 - Jul 15th, 2017 at 9:15am

Yes, codsy, it was on telly not that long ago.

I am working my way through that book: Alan is at Cambridge right in the middle of a revolution in mathematics and quantum physics and it is heavy going  Cry

Forgotten much of that stuff  I learned in the 60s!

But fascinating.

On another note: Alan always made it clear he was gay, way ahead of the sexual revolution and the acceptance of homosexuality. Unlike others he did not hide his sexual orientation.

Think I might see if there is a nice book about maths somewhere, algebra, calculus, vectors and tensors, sets and groups, Boolean math etc. Do you know in some of these branches of maths 1 + 2 ≠ 2 + 1? (≠ means not equal.) Would like to brush up my kno

This one might do:
https://www.amazon.com/Mathematics-Nonmathematician-Morris-Kline/dp/0486248232/r...

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #33 - Jul 15th, 2017 at 10:03am

Ordered that and another introductory maths book.

That is to polish up the knowledge I have. Will be looking to advance my knowledge once the introductory books are read.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Jul 15th, 2017 at 10:47am

erk... it sounds as dry as old bones...

I guess you would need a head for Moths to read about his struggle... I cant even have a guess at what went on in his mind.....it must drive you crazy after a while....you can never switch it off.....trouble about being gay in those days it was against the law sadly....those stoopid laws must have driven so many to suicide   its hard to believe these days isnt it?.....it was almost as bad as witch burning....

anyway good luck with the read.. I would have thought you were more interested in cook books monk? where did I get that idea?

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #35 - Jul 15th, 2017 at 12:43pm

Oh, I have like 4m shelf space of cookbooks, codsy, and 1m of brew books.

But I am renaissance man, can do more than two things, tho not at once other than walk and chew gum etc (no, I don’t chew gum, disgusting habit.)

Maths is one of the most beautiful subjects to study, codsy.

I hope to eventually have some maths programs on this laptop to graph mathematical functions etc.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #36 - Jul 15th, 2017 at 4:07pm

Hey codsy!

https://www.livescience.com/59781-enigma-machine-sells-at-auction.html?utm_sourc...

Somebody finds an enigma machine at a garage sale, sells it for $US51K!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #37 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 3:57pm

I am getting one of the listed books for father's day but I don't know which one.
I'm hoping for Istanbul: tale of three cities.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #38 - Aug 31st, 2017 at 4:49pm

I just bought a couple on the the India/ Pakistan partition as it is the 70 year anniversary.  A bit of history I dont know a lot about

Train to Pakistan (Khuhswant Singh) and The Great Partition (Yasmin Khan)

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #39 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 2:53pm

bogarde73 wrote on Aug 31st, 2017 at 3:57pm:
I am getting one of the listed books for father's day but I don't know which one.
I'm hoping for Istanbul: tale of three cities.

Boo Hoo!

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #40 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 1:13pm

New book from John le Carre - a Legacy of Spies.
It's apparently like a retrospective from George Smiley as he works away in a library in Austria.

Fans of John le Carre's spy novels  should not miss this interview with him about the final George Smiley novel:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05fd974

But hurry, you'll only get it for the next couple of days. He talks about his time in MI6 & Kim Philby and all that stuff. Apparently there were 13 not 4 known Cambridge spies.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #41 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 6:49am

Mikhail Gorbachev, His Life & Times by William Taubman.

The author had eight 2 hour interviews with Gorbachev over a period of about 10 years, as well as many meetings with former aides.
The general consensus is that Gorbie was a thoroughly decent man, but we all know politics is no place for decent men.

Discussion:
http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/gorbachev/9038372
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2017 at 9:14am by bogarde73 »  

IP Logged

PZ547
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Nov 4th, 2017 at 6:12pm

On my list !

Quote:
Over 650 pages, he builds up a portrait of Freud as the most vile, medically useless, misogynistic, snobbish, petulant, jealous, crazy, sex-obsessed creep you could ever hope not to look up at from a couch — and a man whose ‘treatment’ you wouldn’t wish on your worst enemy

About time!

Freud spelled Fraud

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/books/article-5044817/Was-Freud-really-just-sex-mad-old-fraud.html

All my comments, posts & opinions are to be regarded as satire & humour

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #43 - Nov 18th, 2017 at 11:46am

The Fate of Rome: climate, disease and the end of Empire - Kyle Harper

This sounds really interesting because it is based on new knowledge not available to the earlier historians.
For instance, they are able to tell that there were two major plagues - one in the 3rd century that may have been Ebola and one in the 6th which was definitely Black Plague.
The population of Rome fell from its high of 1 million (which was never to be equalled in the West until London in the 19th century) to around 200,000.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #44 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 2:13pm

I'm always saying this but this time I really mean it . . .this sounds interesting:

Life of Leonardo da Vinci - Walter Isaacson.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print