Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
New books (Read 17683 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Re: New books
Reply #15 - May 22nd, 2017 at 6:01am

A definite candidate for a Xmas/birthday list this one.
Last Hope Island by Lynne Olson.

This tells the often overlooked story of how the govts and armed forces of several European countries took refuge in Britain during WW2 and contributed significantly to the war effort. Poland, Belgium, Holland, Czechoslovakia and the self-proclaimed Free French leader de Gaulle, all set up operations for resistance and integration into Allied forces.

Indeed the so called Brylcream Boys (a little dab'll do ya) who won the Battle of Britain were would you believe as much as 20% what the Brits call "chuffin'Poles".

The book also examines how the co-exile of these European leaders provided the opportunity for talks on postwar integration that led eventually to the Common Market & the EU.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #16 - May 23rd, 2017 at 9:53pm

There was also a RAF squadron, Victory Squadron IIRC, of yanks (before Pearl Harbor that is.) Some nice accounts of this in Quentin Reynolds’ war time books. “Only the Stars are Neutral” is one.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #17 - May 24th, 2017 at 10:14am

I missed out Norway in that list. Yes, a lot of Americans enlisted in British & maybe Canadian forces before the US was dragged screaming & kicking into the war.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #18 - May 26th, 2017 at 12:21pm

According to Philip Adams there are 9000 books about Henry VIII but this isn't one of them.

Anne Boleyn: A King's Obsession, by best-selling history writer Alison Weir.

Apparently there is a fair bit about Renaissance feminism in it too but I wouldn't let that put you off.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #19 - Jun 4th, 2017 at 7:25am

The Husband Hunters, Anne de Courcy.

Another of my misconceptions shot down.
I always thought it was death duties that put the stately homes of England in distress and forced them to trade eldest sons for American fortunes.
But that came later. It was simpler than that. There was about a decade of bad harvests, plus a flood of grain imports, which drastically reduced the rent income from tenant farmers.

This book traces the trans-Atlantic husband/wife trade beginning with Consuela Vanderbilt.
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2017 at 2:29pm by bogarde73 »  

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #20 - Jun 4th, 2017 at 5:07pm

Angus and Robertson shut down in Rockhampton. So, now, we have to hope that Big W or Kmart or Target have enough books of interest to buy. All history, biography, and geography books of interest are only available online. And I have not got a credit card.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #21 - Jun 5th, 2017 at 6:54am

I couldn't live without a card. Those automatic monthly debits so you don't forget to pay bills.
When you go on a major shopping spree and don't have to carry all that cash. And the online purchases of course.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #22 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 7:57am

I figured out that one of the online bookstores has a bank details page to pay for my books. I think that is the case for many online bookstores, as well as other sites.

Credit cards became a problem for me. I was paying $200 a fortnight to get on top of a $3000 credit card bill. I did a few big payments one month, and paid off a large part of the bill. Otherwise, I would have had to pay my credit card off for another couple months.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 8:16am

UnSubRocky wrote on Jun 4th, 2017 at 5:07pm:
Angus and Robertson shut down in Rockhampton. So, now, we have to hope that Big W or Kmart or Target have enough books of interest to buy. All history, biography, and geography books of interest are only available online. And I have not got a credit card.

buy yourself a pre-paid card. You can use it like a normal credit card, and once the credit runs out you either top it up or get another one. Safe to use on internet. Available from any post office

https://auspost.com.au/money-insurance/prepaid-cards/loadgo-cards/loadgo-reloada...

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #24 - Jun 9th, 2017 at 1:31pm

John Smith wrote on Jun 6th, 2017 at 8:16am:
UnSubRocky wrote on Jun 4th, 2017 at 5:07pm:

buy yourself a pre-paid card. You can use it like a normal credit card, and once the credit runs out you either top it up or get another one. Safe to use on internet. Available from any post office

https://auspost.com.au/money-insurance/prepaid-cards/loadgo-cards/loadgo-reloada...

Thank you. But, the bank details that fishpond offer is a good alternative. I don't have to put up with heavy interest rates each month.
« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2017 at 3:43pm by UnSubRocky »  

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #25 - Jun 29th, 2017 at 5:50pm

I use a debit card, not a credit card. All the convenience but you can only spend what you put in the account linked to the card.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #26 - Jun 30th, 2017 at 7:55am

I like the convenience of the credit card - purchases, regular debits for utilities, phone transactions, tap & go.
Just don't spend what you can't afford and make one monthly payment to clear the account. How easy is that.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #27 - Jul 10th, 2017 at 10:24am

Can't sleep?
Want a book you'll need to kit out in mountaineering clobber to climb over?

Istanbul: A Tale of Three Cities by Bettany Hughes

Byzanteum/Constantinople/Istanbul - a city maybe 10,000 years old with up to 42 archaeological layers of human habitation.

Mmm, can't wait for that one

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #28 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 2:47pm

That sounds absolutely fascinating! Must get that one!

For now, Andrew Hodges “Alan Turing: the Enigma” will have to do.
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2017 at 5:59pm by Jovial Monk »  

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #29 - Jul 12th, 2017 at 5:07pm

Isn't it Alan Turing or is this another.person?
BTW,  a great movie with Benedict Cumberbatch as Turing which I mentioned in the film.board

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print