Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can anyone recommend a decent inverter (Read 1643 times)
John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Can anyone recommend a decent inverter
Dec 16th, 2016 at 3:08pm

I'm looking to put a 300W inverter in the car for when I go camping.

I want to use it mainly to run some lights but I'll also charge torch batteries and phones with it.

there are so many different brands, and such a large range of prices, I don't know enough about them to make a decision. Can anyone recommend a decent brand?

thanks

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Can anyone recommend a decent inverter
Reply #1 - Dec 16th, 2016 at 3:17pm

I wouldn't go running any temporary lighting of an inverter as they deliver AC voltage and enough amperage to kill, 12volt led lighting is the go. Redarc are a good brand.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Dec 16th, 2016 at 3:25pm

Johnnie wrote on Dec 16th, 2016 at 3:17pm:
I wouldn't go running any temporary lighting of an inverter as they deliver AC voltage and enough amperage to kill, 12volt led lighting is the go. Redarc are a good brand.

if i use 12 V LED do i still need the inverter?

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Dec 16th, 2016 at 3:28pm

John Smith wrote on Dec 16th, 2016 at 3:25pm:

No. the inverter delivers 240volts.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2016 at 3:29pm

Johnnie wrote on Dec 16th, 2016 at 3:28pm:
John Smith wrote on Dec 16th, 2016 at 3:25pm:

No. the inverter delivers 240volts.

so you just connect the led to the spare battery?

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Dec 16th, 2016 at 3:38pm

Probably better using one of the many cigarette lighter adapters at least it will be fused then. a short circuit in a 12volt system without a fuse can easy result in a fire.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #6 - Dec 16th, 2016 at 3:51pm

Well the 300w  inverter will quickly flatten your car battery if you mean using it while the car is not running.

LED lights is a good idea as they will run of 12v and are very low power users.

If you want to run 240v stuff a Gentech type device(240v portable petrol powered  generator) would be the way to go as long as it has a good smooth  output suitable for electronics like a laptop or charging a phone etc. Probably a bit expensive unless on a trip around OZ

Charging phones etc can usually be done off a USB plug in device on the car cigarette lighter socket while the car is running

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Dec 16th, 2016 at 5:02pm

Johnnie wrote on Dec 16th, 2016 at 3:38pm:
Probably better using one of the many cigarette lighter adapters at least it will be fused then. a short circuit in a 12volt system without a fuse can easy result in a fire.

cheers

Redmond Neck wrote on Dec 16th, 2016 at 3:51pm:
Well the 300w  inverter will quickly flatten your car battery if you mean using it while the car is not running.

was gonna use it on a spare battery. I only go out for 2 or 3 days at a time anyway.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Johnnie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Dec 16th, 2016 at 5:30pm

As long as you have a fuse at the positive of the battery you can pretty much do what you like, you will only blow so many fuses till you realize you have crossed some wires somewhere. A solar battery charger and a set of jump leads are good value. Inverters use lots of power just to invert, I can run my laptop for a max two hours on my 300watt inverter with a charged car battery. a 300w inverter can only run at that for a short time, more like a 200w continuous output, they don't like starting electric motors either.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Dec 16th, 2016 at 5:53pm

Johnnie wrote on Dec 16th, 2016 at 5:30pm:
As long as you have a fuse at the positive of the battery you can pretty much do what you like, you will only blow so many fuses till you realize you have crossed some wires somewhere. A solar battery charger and a set of jump leads are good value. Inverters use lots of power just to invert, I can run my laptop for a max two hours on my 300watt inverter with a charged car battery. a 300w inverter can only run at that for a short time, more like a 200w continuous output, they don't like starting electric motors either.

thanks.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print