Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 21
Send Topic Print
Gerald Fredrick Töben - jailed for his opinion (Read 88876 times)
Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Re: Gerald Fredrick Töben - jailed for his opinion
Reply #15 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 9:37pm

Aussie wrote on Dec 11th, 2016 at 9:32pm:
Setanta wrote on Dec 11th, 2016 at 9:16pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Dec 11th, 2016 at 9:09pm:
Aussie wrote on Dec 11th, 2016 at 8:01pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 11th, 2016 at 7:55pm:
They are direct quotes Aussie. Do you disagree with yourself now?

No, I stand by every word I said....and not by every word you have attempted to verbal me with.

As I do.  Toben was convicted of contempt of court, not Section 18c...   Roll Eyes

And if 18c did not exist he would never have been in contempt of court.
Do you agree with his right to espouse his opinion, no matter how odious?

I'm sure you are anti-firearm and blame the tool when someone uses one badly. When someone uses another tool, law, should not it be viewed the same way? Should that tool be available?

Yet the ironic thing is that Tobin himself tried to inhibit the freedom of speech enjoyed by others whom he sued for defaming him as being a holocaust denier!

Did he? Or did he try to use a tool, law, in his favour? How did he go? The judge using contempt on 18c was doing the same thing. One of them didn't fare well and he should be able to say whatever TF he likes as long as he is not inciting others to do violence.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #16 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 9:40pm

Tobin came second, on all counts.  But....the point is....he used the Law in an attempt to silence others.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #17 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 9:40pm

Toben is a Jewish name isn't it?

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #18 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 9:41pm

Aussie wrote on Dec 11th, 2016 at 9:40pm:
Tobin came second, on all counts.  But....the point is....he used the Law in an attempt to silence others.

As the court did to him?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #19 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 9:43pm

Setanta wrote on Dec 11th, 2016 at 9:41pm:

As the court did to him?

'Courts' do not initiate action.  They merely hear what is brought before them at the action of others.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #20 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 9:46pm

Aussie wrote on Dec 11th, 2016 at 9:43pm:

As the court did to him?

'Courts' do not initiate action.  They merely hear what is brought before them at the action of others.

The judge initiated action against him for contempt. That was a choice, not something mandated and not what he was there for.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #21 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 9:50pm

Setanta wrote on Dec 11th, 2016 at 9:46pm:

As the court did to him?

The judge initiated action against him for contempt. That was a choice, not something mandated and not what he was there for.

Garbage.  If a Court is confronted with a person who has willfully defied an order of a Court, contempt is a remedy.  Punishment includes imprisonment.

What's your beef with this anyway?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #22 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 9:53pm

Here's an analogy you might prefer.  As a GMod, you warn a Member not to do something.  Said Member defies you.  You ban.

Why did you ban?  Who initiated the ban?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #23 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 9:53pm

I'd say his beef is the cause of the court order - you remember, that thing you are now afraid to have an opinion on....

What initiated the court order Aussie?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #24 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 9:55pm

Aussie wrote on Dec 11th, 2016 at 9:50pm:

As the court did to him?

Garbage.  If a Court is confronted with a person who has willfully defied an order of a Court, contempt is a remedy.  Punishment includes imprisonment.

I don't care if people think the holocaust didn't happen, they should be able to hold their erroneous position without being gaoled. It's a thought crime.

What is your beef?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #25 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 9:55pm

freediver wrote on Dec 11th, 2016 at 9:53pm:
I'd say his beef is the cause of the court order - you remember, that thing you are now afraid to have an opinion on....

Oh!  More moving of the goal posts!

I've given you links to the core cases, freediver.   You cannot manipulate them.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #26 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 9:56pm

No, I stand by every word I said....and not by every word you have attempted to verbal me with.

As I do.  Toben was convicted of contempt of court, not Section 18c...   Roll Eyes

What I consider is immaterial, Setlanta.   Toben showed his contempt for a decision that was made against him.  The court ruled on his actions after his conviction.

I have actually spoken, about 16 years ago to Frederick Toben.  He was a loon then and he is it appears even more of a loon now.   What he believes, like David Irving, runs counter to the established historical record.  He seeks to justify the Holocaust and to therefore rehabilitate Hitler's memory.    Roll Eyes

Quote:
I'm sure you are anti-firearm and blame the tool when someone uses one badly. When someone uses another tool, law, should not it be viewed the same way? Should that tool be available?

Actually, I blame the individual when they misuse their (often legally) owned firearm to murder or hurt others, Setlanta.  I'd rather they didn't have access to those tools as it is obvious they are too dangerous for people to handle, unless they undergo adequate training and are taught discipline.   Toben is seeking to misuse his right to freedom of speech doesn't deserve it.    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #27 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 9:56pm

Setanta wrote on Dec 11th, 2016 at 9:55pm:
Aussie wrote on Dec 11th, 2016 at 9:50pm:

As the court did to him?

I don't care if people think the holocaust didn't happen, they should be able to hold their erroneous position without being gaoled.

What is your beef?

I think I just explained it.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #28 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 10:03pm

Brian Ross wrote on Dec 11th, 2016 at 9:56pm:

What I consider is immaterial, Setlanta.   Toben showed his contempt for a decision that was made against him.  The court ruled on his actions after his conviction.

I have actually spoken, about 16 years ago to Frederick Toben.  He was a loon then and he is it appears even more of a loon now.   What he believes, like David Irving, runs counter to the established historical record.  He seeks to justify the Holocaust and to therefore rehabilitate Hitler's memory.    Roll Eyes

Quote:

Actually, I blame the individual when they misuse their (often legally) owned firearm to murder or hurt others, Setlanta.  I'd rather they didn't have access to those tools as it is obvious they are too dangerous for people to handle, unless they undergo adequate training and are taught discipline.   Toben is seeking to misuse his right to freedom of speech doesn't deserve it.    Roll Eyes

Why would you gaol a loon? A Jewish loon at that. The man has a right to say he doesn't believe history. We don't gaol IITL for moon-landing denial, we see him for what he is.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #29 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 10:05pm

What is IITL?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 21
Send Topic Print