Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21
Send Topic Print
Gerald Fredrick Töben - jailed for his opinion (Read 88762 times)
John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Gerald Fredrick Töben - jailed for his opinion
Reply #105 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 12:49pm

freediver wrote on Dec 14th, 2016 at 12:48pm:
Aussie, Raven, John Smith, Barnacle, Brian Ross and Karnal: would it be fair to say that you want Toben and his ilk to be silenced, and are willing to see them imprisoned to achieve this, but you realise on some level that it is wrong to imprison a person for their opinion, so you settle for the 'happy coincidence' that Toben was jailed for an unrelated contempt of court, creating a vacuum of causation around his imprisonment in order to allow you to ignore your own views on human rights

no.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #106 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 12:56pm

John Smith wrote on Dec 14th, 2016 at 12:49pm:
Aussie, Raven, John Smith, Barnacle, Brian Ross and Karnal: would it be fair to say that you want Toben and his ilk to be silenced, and are willing to see them imprisoned to achieve this, but you realise on some level that it is wrong to imprison a person for their opinion, so you settle for the 'happy coincidence' that Toben was jailed for an unrelated contempt of court, creating a vacuum of causation around his imprisonment in order to allow you to ignore your own views on human rights

no.

Seconded.

Freediver what you seem to fail to grasp is that freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequence.

Do you believe that you should be able to say whatever you want with absolutely zero consequence?

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #107 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 1:26pm

Here you go, verballing me yet again, freediver.

Quote:
If  you disagree, perhaps you can answer the question that Aussie is so scared of - what caused the court order?

I am not 'scared.'  I am simply getting off your perpetual motion merry-go-round.  Those links makes it quite plain why he was jailed.  Read them.  It does not matter what I think.

Quote:
Aussie, Raven, John Smith, Barnacle, Brian Ross and Karnal: would it be fair to say that you want Toben and his ilk to be silenced, and are willing to see them imprisoned to achieve this, but you realise on some level that it is wrong to imprison a person for their opinion, so you settle for the 'happy coincidence' that Toben was jailed for an unrelated contempt of court, creating a vacuum of causation around his imprisonment in order to allow you to ignore your own views on human rights.

No. 

I am quite content to see 18C/D stay as is.  You have already conceded you can think of nothing you want to say which it precludes you from saying.
« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2016 at 1:33pm by Aussie »  

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #108 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 1:31pm

Aussie wrote on Dec 14th, 2016 at 1:26pm:
Here you fo, verballing me yet again, freediver.

it's his specialty

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #109 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 2:26pm

Aussie wrote on Dec 14th, 2016 at 1:26pm:
Here you go, verballing me yet again, freediver.

Quote:
If  you disagree, perhaps you can answer the question that Aussie is so scared of - what caused the court order?

I am not 'scared.'  I am simply getting off your perpetual motion merry-go-round.  Those links makes it quite plain why he was jailed.  Read them.  It does not matter what I think.

Quote:
Aussie, Raven, John Smith, Barnacle, Brian Ross and Karnal: would it be fair to say that you want Toben and his ilk to be silenced, and are willing to see them imprisoned to achieve this, but you realise on some level that it is wrong to imprison a person for their opinion, so you settle for the 'happy coincidence' that Toben was jailed for an unrelated contempt of court, creating a vacuum of causation around his imprisonment in order to allow you to ignore your own views on human rights.

No. 

I am quite content to see 18C/D stay as is.  You have already conceded you can think of nothing you want to say which it precludes you from saying.

It's now an unrelated contempt of court.

Strange. Toben confessed and apologised for his crime. He accepted his jail sentence as contempt of court, and not, as occurred in Italy and Germany, a custodial sentence for denying the Holocaust.

Yes, FD, if a magistrate tells you to stop publishing something that's the subject of court proceedings, and you continue to drop your propaganda into people's letterboxes, I think a three week stint in the cooler's pretty fair, don't you?

As far as contempt of court sentences go, it's quite lenient.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #110 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 2:32pm

Raven wrote on Dec 14th, 2016 at 12:56pm:
John Smith wrote on Dec 14th, 2016 at 12:49pm:

no.

Seconded.

Freediver what you seem to fail to grasp is that freedom of speech does not mean freedom from consequence.

Do you believe that you should be able to say whatever you want with absolutely zero consequence?

Only if it offends the Muselman.

FD wants Muslims banned at the airport. This would mean locking up anyone who says Allah Uakbar.

Freeeeedom, innit.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #111 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 3:05pm

Are you suggesting that the ten year process of imprisoning Toben was automated?

No, I wasn't talking about Toben at all. I was talking about our first law officer (and the fact that not a single person that I know of took him to task) brazenly declaring that holocaust denial by default comes under racial vilification.

Have you ever heard the AG or anyone from the government declare that any opinion related to Islamic history is automatically a case of racial vilification?

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #112 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 3:12pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Dec 14th, 2016 at 3:05pm:
Are you suggesting that the ten year process of imprisoning Toben was automated?

No, I wasn't talking about Toben at all. I was talking about our first law officer (and the fact that not a single person that I know of took him to task) brazenly declaring that holocaust denial by default comes under racial vilification.

Have you ever heard the AG or anyone from the government declare that any opinion related to Islamic history is automatically a case of racial vilification?

There are better links behind paywalls.  But this will suffice to explain what Gandalf is saying for those unfamiliar.

Link.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #113 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 3:15pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 14th, 2016 at 2:32pm:
FD wants Muslims banned at the airport. This would mean locking up anyone who says Allah Uakbar.

Freeeeedom, innit.

More precisely, FD wants to single out people who "appear to be muslim", quiz them about their views on the sharia, then ban them if their views on freedom are incompatible with ours. And then he claims with a straight face it wouldn't be religious discrimination.

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #114 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 3:21pm

Raven wrote on Dec 14th, 2016 at 12:13pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 13th, 2016 at 2:59pm:
As Toben illustrates, you can be jailed if the HREOC escalates the matter to the federal court. Saying you cannot be jailed on the assumption you will agree to self censor in compliance with 18c does not meet the common sense test. Toben was jailed for denying the holocaust in contravention of 18c. 18c means you can now be jailed for exercising your fundamental human rights.

Do you support that Raven, or just offer idiotic excuses?

No it doesn't. You are either deliberately misinterpreting how the RDA works or you have no understanding of the law.

It is not a crime to breach 18c. The section says that it is unlawful for a person to do what is set out.

In law the term unlawful does not mean criminal, So while unlawful acts are prohibited by law, they are not a criminal offence under section 18C, which is in Part IIA of the Act. There is no offence under Part IIA of the RDA. There are no criminal sanctions attached to the conduct the Act is targeting. Nothing in the Act makes any form of vilification a criminal offence.

Section 26, which is in Part IV of the Act, says

Quote:
Except as expressly provided by this Part, nothing in this Act makes it an offence to do an act or agree with another person to do an act that is unlawful by reason of a provision of Part II or Part IIA.

Unlawful conduct is not illegal conduct. 'Unlawful' is conduct prohibited by law, an 'offence' is also conduct prohibited by law but at a more serious or higher level. There is a fundamental procedural difference – unlawful acts are pursued by the person or entity who is aggrieved, and illegal acts are pursued by the police in order to punish the perpetrator.

18C creates a form of civil liability Section 26 makes it clear that offending someone under section 18C is not a criminal offence.

Take Andrew Bolt, Bolt breached the Act but did not commit a crime.

Your friend Toben on the other hand did commit a crime but not by denying the Holocaust. Justice Branson ordered him to remove the material, he refused. Justice Lander said that Toben's behaviour amounted to criminal contempt.

Toben's original conduct, which contravened the Act itself, was not criminal.

Good explanation. I understand now that I was wrong to label a breach of the RDA as "criminal". Thanks for clarifying.

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #115 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 3:25pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Dec 14th, 2016 at 3:15pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 14th, 2016 at 2:32pm:

Freeeeedom, innit.

More precisely, FD wants to single out people who "appear to be muslim", quiz them about their views on the sharia, then ban them if their views on freedom are incompatible with ours. And then he claims with a straight face it wouldn't be religious discrimination.

Well yes, but as you well know, freedom of speech and freedom of religion do not apply to one particular group.

And we all know who that is, don't we?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #116 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 7:18pm

Gandalf did you make a submission on 18c?

Quote:
Seconded.

Raven and John, do you support Toben's right to say the things he said?

Quote:

There were no meaningful consequences of Toben's actions. He did not incite violence or panic. He did not cause anyone to lose money. Nothing, other than outright rejection of the principles of freedom of speech, justifies jailing him for his opinion.

Freedom of speech literally means that no-one has the right not to be offended, yet offence was the only consequence.

Quote:

So you oppose freedom of speech then, and only support the right to say things that you or I might want to say? Can you even see the difference?

Quote:
Yes, FD, if a magistrate tells you to stop publishing something that's the subject of court proceedings, and you continue to drop your propaganda into people's letterboxes, I think a three week stint in the cooler's pretty fair, don't you?

They were not 'sub judice'. It was an ongoing blanket ban on Toben's violation of 18c, effectively criminalising 18c.

Quote:
As far as contempt of court sentences go, it's quite lenient.

Not really the point, is it Karnal? Would you support "quite lenient" sentencing for being a Muslim, or being gay?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #117 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 7:22pm

He was jailed for contempt of court - nothing to do with his opinions what he said or 18c.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #118 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 7:28pm

Dnarever wrote on Dec 14th, 2016 at 7:22pm:
He was jailed for contempt of court - nothing to do with his opinions what he said or 18c.

What do you think Gandalf? Purely semantic? Or just plain wrong?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #119 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 8:11pm

freediver wrote on Dec 14th, 2016 at 7:28pm:
Dnarever wrote on Dec 14th, 2016 at 7:22pm:

What do you think Gandalf? Purely semantic? Or just plain wrong?

G already told you he disagrees with this this point, FD - at least 3 times.

You like asking questions, don't you?

Don't you?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 21
Send Topic Print