Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
18 c lies and more lies. (Read 23243 times)
Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: 18 c lies and more lies.
Reply #60 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 12:42pm

John Smith wrote on Dec 23rd, 2016 at 12:16pm:
Frank wrote on Dec 23rd, 2016 at 11:13am:
Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 18th, 2016 at 12:34pm:
Frank wrote on Dec 18th, 2016 at 10:54am:
What is it about Islam that appeals to you so much? I can't think of any positive aspects to it. You?

Come on, out with it. What do Sore End's church picnics and hideous stool tarts add to our society?

No more stalling, old boy.

Er....the Sydney Opera House was designed by a Lutheran. 

and the Auburn Gallipoli Mosque was designed by a musselman.

Exactly. And the difference is there for all to see.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 12:44pm

Frank wrote on Dec 23rd, 2016 at 12:42pm:
What is it about Islam that appeals to you so much? I can't think of any positive aspects to it. You?

Come on, out with it. What do Sore End's church picnics and hideous stool tarts add to our society?

There's the prayer hall on the end of my street, old boy. The Boy Scouts originally designed that.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #62 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 1:33pm

i hope they're different. One is a prayer hall, the other for international artisits.

Just imagine your crying if the opera house looked like a mosque. Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 3:26pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 23rd, 2016 at 12:44pm:

There's the prayer hall on the end of my street, old boy. The Boy Scouts originally designed that.

I bet property values plummeted.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #64 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 4:52pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Dec 23rd, 2016 at 10:59am:
freediver wrote on Dec 23rd, 2016 at 10:50am:
polite_gandalf wrote on Dec 17th, 2016 at 4:47pm:
18c should remove the words "offend" and "insult", but the reality is it doesn't preclude bigoted speech that isn't based on complete fabrications (as was the case with Bolt). Bill Leak wasn't gagged for his cartoons, despite the fact that we know they "offended" lots of Aboriginal people. I suspect you can pretty much say whatever racist vile rubbish you like as long as its not directly threatening someone. The sole exception to this of course is holocaust denial - which our own first law officer has stated is de-facto a case of racial vilification. And I'm certain removing the words "offend" and "insult" won't change this. But removing racial vilification laws entirely just to stop the gagging of holocaust denial is not the solution. In this case common sense should prevail and a legitimate historical debate about holocaust denial should not be considered racial vilification.

Bolt lost his case Gandalf.

Bolt lost because he told porkies FD - its stated very clearly in the verdict. But yes, if your point is to show that people can't quite "say whatever racist vile rubbish you like as long as its not directly threatening someone" - then yes, I stand corrected. Porkies are an exception.

Porkies are not considered "fair comment", or any of the other exemptions spelled out in 18D. Do you think thats a good thing FD? I do. I have a 'thing' about porkies, as you might have detected.

Have you changed your mind again Gandalf? Do you now support Toben's jailing because he was incorrect?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #65 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 8:17pm

freediver wrote on Dec 23rd, 2016 at 4:52pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on Dec 23rd, 2016 at 10:59am:
freediver wrote on Dec 23rd, 2016 at 10:50am:
polite_gandalf wrote on Dec 17th, 2016 at 4:47pm:
18c should remove the words "offend" and "insult", but the reality is it doesn't preclude bigoted speech that isn't based on complete fabrications (as was the case with Bolt). Bill Leak wasn't gagged for his cartoons, despite the fact that we know they "offended" lots of Aboriginal people. I suspect you can pretty much say whatever racist vile rubbish you like as long as its not directly threatening someone. The sole exception to this of course is holocaust denial - which our own first law officer has stated is de-facto a case of racial vilification. And I'm certain removing the words "offend" and "insult" won't change this. But removing racial vilification laws entirely just to stop the gagging of holocaust denial is not the solution. In this case common sense should prevail and a legitimate historical debate about holocaust denial should not be considered racial vilification.

Bolt lost his case Gandalf.

Bolt lost because he told porkies FD - its stated very clearly in the verdict. But yes, if your point is to show that people can't quite "say whatever racist vile rubbish you like as long as its not directly threatening someone" - then yes, I stand corrected. Porkies are an exception.

Porkies are not considered "fair comment", or any of the other exemptions spelled out in 18D. Do you think thats a good thing FD? I do. I have a 'thing' about porkies, as you might have detected.

Have you changed your mind again Gandalf? Do you now support Toben's jailing because he was incorrect?

Bolt wasn't jailed and neither would have Toben been until he broke contempt of court laws.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #66 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 9:43pm

Great news. I guess we can all go home now. Australians are not jailed for speaking their mind unless they continue to, umm, speak their mind???

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #67 - Dec 25th, 2016 at 7:11am

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #68 - Dec 25th, 2016 at 10:32am

freediver wrote on Dec 23rd, 2016 at 9:43pm:
Great news. I guess we can all go home now. Australians are not jailed for speaking their mind unless they continue to, umm, speak their mind???

Freediver I think you are choosing to misrepresent what a court order is.

If Toben had have been jailed under 18c there would have been no need for the judge to make a court order because he would have already been in jail.

Court orders are generally made to cover things that arn't already covered by the law.
For example. It is quite legal to not pay your estranged partner a weekly payment. However, if it is part of a court order that you make a weekly payment and you refuse to do so, then you can go to jail for contempt of court.
Clearly in this case it is the breach of the court order that has landed the person in jail because if there was no court order, his actions wouldn't have been a jailable offence.

It is the same with Toben

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #69 - Dec 25th, 2016 at 6:35pm

Are you saying Toben is free to continue denying the holocaust?

Is it the existence of court orders, or the existence of alimony legislation, that forces a person to pay child support?

Would you go so far as to say that payment of alimony is optional, because it is only the court order rather than the legislation itself that forces someone to pay?

Am I actually choosing to misrepresent what a court order is, or are you just thinking out loud?
« Last Edit: Dec 25th, 2016 at 6:41pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #70 - Dec 25th, 2016 at 7:41pm

freediver wrote on Dec 25th, 2016 at 6:35pm:
Am I actually choosing to misrepresent what a court order is, or are you just thinking out loud?

I'm voting the first part.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #71 - Dec 25th, 2016 at 7:42pm

Is it the existence of court orders, or the existence of alimony legislation, that forces a person to pay child support?

Would you go so far as to say that payment of alimony is optional, because it is only the court order rather than the legislation itself that forces someone to pay?

He was found guilty of producing material which qualified as racially vilify Jewish people.

He can deny the holocaust all he likes as long as he does so without racially vilifying Jewish people.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #72 - Dec 25th, 2016 at 9:22pm

freediver wrote on Dec 23rd, 2016 at 9:43pm:

Strange. You're now waging a full propaganda campaign against something you've been disagreeing with G over for years.

Of course, I blame Islam, but that's just me.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #73 - Dec 26th, 2016 at 8:58am

Dnarever wrote on Dec 25th, 2016 at 7:42pm:

He was found guilty of producing material which qualified as racially vilify Jewish people.

He can deny the holocaust all he likes as long as he does so without racially vilifying Jewish people.

What if Jewish people happen to be part of his explanation for how we came to believe the holocaust happened? Is he allowed to talk about that, or does he have to leave it out in case they feel vilified?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #74 - Dec 26th, 2016 at 11:54am

FD's finally come around, G.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print