Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
18 c lies and more lies. (Read 23253 times)
Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: 18 c lies and more lies.
Reply #45 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 5:21pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Dec 17th, 2016 at 4:10pm:
HUMAN Rights Commissioner Gillian Triggs should resign for allowing an untenable racial discrimination case against three Queensland university students to get as far as the Federal Court, a QC says.

Queensland University of Technology students Alex Wood, Calum Thwaites and Jackson Powell were being sued by Cindy Prior, an indigenous administration officer, under the Racial Discrimination Act’s controversial section 18C. The $250,000 lawsuit was thrown out by Brisbane’s Federal Court Judge Michael Jarrett on Friday after he found Ms Prior did not have reasonable prospects of successfully bringing a case against the trio.

Outside court, Mr Thwaites’ lawyer, Tony Morris QC, slammed Professor Triggs for allowing the case to get so far.

Mr Morris said Prof Triggs sat on the case against the students for 14 months before they were told a complaint had been made against them, and no inquiries were made.

He said the commissioner should have told Ms Prior there was no substance to her claim and dismissed the complaint.

“Triggs takes $400,000 a year out of the pockets of the taxpayers of this country for a job she doesn’t bother to do,” Mr Morris said. “If the woman had any decency whatsoever, her resignation would be on the attorney-general’s desk on Monday.” Mr Thwaites said he was extremely relieved at the outcome and happy to be able to get on with his life.

Ms Prior was not in court for the judgment and is said to be facing a six-figure bill if the students recoup their legal costs from her.

She had argued she was unable to continue working face-to-face with white people following a series of Facebook posts made after Mr Wood was asked to leave an indigenous-only computer lab at the QUT in 2013.

“Just got kicked out of the unsigned indigenous computer room. QUT stopping segregation with segregation,” he wrote.

–– ADVERTISEMENT ––iThe post attracted a number of responses, including one from Mr Powell who wrote: “I wonder where the white supremacist computer lab is.” Mr Thwaites is alleged to have written “ITT (N-word)” but has denied being responsible for the post.

Several other students have settled with Ms Prior out of court, reportedly for $5000 each, while QUT is still subject to a lawsuit.

The university released a statement late on Friday saying it was pleased the matter had been resolved “as far as the three students are concerned and regrets that the issue has taken so long to come to a conclusion for them”. The case has been a rallying point for opponents of 18C, which makes it unlawful to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate another person or a group of people. On Friday, Victorian Liberal senator James Paterson joined the growing number of voices calling a parliamentary inquiry into changing the law. Mr Paterson said while he was relieved the judge had found the students had no case to answer, they should never have endured such an appalling legal process. “This judgment doesn’t give them back that time, or their reputations, or the stress of having to endure these false allegations and defend themselves,” Mr Paterson said.

Institute of Public Affairs executive director John Roskam said the Turnbull government could no longer stick its head in the sand on section 18C. “The proof that the human rights regime is damaged beyond repair is now plain for all to see,” Mr Roskam said.

Good point, Homo. I got that wrong. Thanks for proving it.

You're right.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 7:53pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Dec 17th, 2016 at 4:47pm:
18c should remove the words "offend" and "insult", but the reality is it doesn't preclude bigoted speech that isn't based on complete fabrications (as was the case with Bolt). Bill Leak wasn't gagged for his cartoons, despite the fact that we know they "offended" lots of Aboriginal people. I suspect you can pretty much say whatever racist vile rubbish you like as long as its not directly threatening someone. The sole exception to this of course is holocaust denial - which our own first law officer has stated is de-facto a case of racial vilification. And I'm certain removing the words "offend" and "insult" won't change this. But removing racial vilification laws entirely just to stop the gagging of holocaust denial is not the solution. In this case common sense should prevail and a legitimate historical debate about holocaust denial should not be considered racial vilification.

Criminalising the denial of the Holocaust is stupid. It is done by the perpetrators of the Holocaust.

The Holocaust did happen and denying it something idiots do, many of whom are financed by Muslims and their puppeteers.

The supreme irony of your little ruse is that you want to stop the criminalisation of holocaust denial but you also want to avail your Muslim selves to the protections extended to Holocaust victims.

You want to be a Holocaust victim of the Jews but you want to deny the Jews their victimhood.

You think this clever but in reality it is cheap, stupid, grubby and chancy - chancy like most Arab/Muslim politics. You lack principle. You are all carpet merchants of politics - you can speak out of any number of the corners of your mouths.

In a way it is an indication between you Turks and the West. There is no common cultural ground for us. You are aliens for us and we are aliens for you.

That's why we do not want to migrate to your countries and that why you should be topped from migrating to ours.
We bring nothing you want and you bring nothing we want.
i

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 8:08pm

Frank wrote on Dec 17th, 2016 at 7:53pm:

That's not fair, old boy, you brought your old cheese. Don't you be so hard on yourself.

Miam miam.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 9:21pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 17th, 2016 at 8:08pm:

That's not fair, old boy, you brought your old cheese. Don't you be so hard on yourself.

Miam miam.

What do you like about Islam?  What does it add to your life that nothing else has?

Pederasty aside.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #49 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 10:20pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 17th, 2016 at 3:55pm:
Frank wrote on Dec 17th, 2016 at 3:19pm:
Imagine if a white person said he can't work face to face with Aborigines or Indians or Africans and demanded compensation for being forced to work with them.

Imagine.

But it's OK for an Aboriginal person to say, in support of her claim for compensation, that she cannot work with white people.
And now her appeals lawyer says that people should not be able to criticise any discrimination.

Of course it's not okay, it's ludicrous.

She lost her case, by the way.

Yadda is troubled.

Karnal,

PLEASE JUST TELL US ALL........

How is any reasonable person supposed to know and to understand, when any particular comment that you make in any post on OzPol,                    ......is being made as a serious reflection of your real views ?

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1430391074/27#27

Dawud’s Delicious Dates? We prefer Sore End’s Scrumptious Stools.
Miam miam.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1473548261/7#7

"Kill them."

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1467791959/45#45

"Save money. Kill all Moslems."

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1450215682/1#1

Deport him, kill his children.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1450215682/5#5

We’re Christians.
Nuke them.

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1450215682/12#12

dunno boges - I'm torn between suicide bombing the mufti's residence and shooting up his mosque - what do you suggest?

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1431743069/44#44

[moslems in Australia] Slaughter them, sell the meat.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - Dec 17th, 2016 at 10:21pm

Frank wrote on Dec 17th, 2016 at 9:21pm:

Miam miam.

What do you like about Islam?  What does it add to your life that nothing else has?

Pederasty aside.

That's a tough one, old boy. What do mendacious old Lutherans add to our lives that nothing else has?

I'm curious.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 10:54am

Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 17th, 2016 at 10:21pm:

Miam miam.

Pederasty aside.

That's a tough one, old boy. What do mendacious old Lutherans add to our lives that nothing else has?

I'm curious.

A question in response to a question.

What is it about Islam that appeals to you so much? I can't think of any positive aspects to it. You?

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 12:34pm

Frank wrote on Dec 18th, 2016 at 10:54am:
Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 17th, 2016 at 10:21pm:

Miam miam.

Pederasty aside.

I'm curious.

A question in response to a question.

What is it about Islam that appeals to you so much? I can't think of any positive aspects to it. You?

Come on, out with it. What do Sore End's church picnics and hideous stool tarts add to our society?

No more stalling, old boy.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #53 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 10:50am

18c should remove the words "offend" and "insult", but the reality is it doesn't preclude bigoted speech that isn't based on complete fabrications (as was the case with Bolt). Bill Leak wasn't gagged for his cartoons, despite the fact that we know they "offended" lots of Aboriginal people. I suspect you can pretty much say whatever racist vile rubbish you like as long as its not directly threatening someone. The sole exception to this of course is holocaust denial - which our own first law officer has stated is de-facto a case of racial vilification. And I'm certain removing the words "offend" and "insult" won't change this. But removing racial vilification laws entirely just to stop the gagging of holocaust denial is not the solution. In this case common sense should prevail and a legitimate historical debate about holocaust denial should not be considered racial vilification.

Bolt lost his case Gandalf.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #54 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 10:59am

freediver wrote on Dec 23rd, 2016 at 10:50am:

Bolt lost because he told porkies FD - its stated very clearly in the verdict. But yes, if your point is to show that people can't quite "say whatever racist vile rubbish you like as long as its not directly threatening someone" - then yes, I stand corrected. Porkies are an exception.

Porkies are not considered "fair comment", or any of the other exemptions spelled out in 18D. Do you think thats a good thing FD? I do. I have a 'thing' about porkies, as you might have detected.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Dsmithy70
Gold Member

ire futuis vobismetipsis

Newy
Reply #55 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 11:08am

How come everyone stops reading the act after 18C

Is 18D written in invisible ink?

Quote:
RACIAL DISCRIMINATION ACT 1975 - SECT 18D

Exemptions
                   Section 18C does not render unlawful anything said or done reasonably and in good faith:

(a)  in the performance, exhibition or distribution of an artistic work; or

(b)  in the course of any statement, publication, discussion or debate made or held for any genuine academic, artistic or scientific purpose or any other genuine purpose in the public interest; or

(c)  in making or publishing:

(i)  a fair and accurate report of any event or matter of public interest; or

(ii)  a fair comment on any event or matter of public interest if the comment is an expression of a genuine belief held by the person making the comment.

REBELLION is not what most people think it is.
REBELLION is when you turn off the TV & start educating & thinking for yourself.
Gavin Nascimento

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 11:13am

Mattyfisk wrote on Dec 18th, 2016 at 12:34pm:

Come on, out with it. What do Sore End's church picnics and hideous stool tarts add to our society?

Er....the Sydney Opera House was designed by a Lutheran. 

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 12:16pm

Frank wrote on Dec 23rd, 2016 at 11:13am:

and the Auburn Gallipoli Mosque was designed by a musselman.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 12:19pm

Frank wrote on Dec 23rd, 2016 at 11:13am:

Well, yes...

Apart from that.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #59 - Dec 23rd, 2016 at 12:23pm

freediver wrote on Dec 23rd, 2016 at 10:50am:

Yes that is what Gandalf said.

Bolt didn't lose because it was hurtful offending and insulting, he lost because what he said was all untrue.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print