Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Australian economy down the s-bend in 2017? (Read 899 times)
Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Australian economy down the s-bend in 2017?
Dec 10th, 2016 at 7:02pm

Is the fickle finger of fate poised on the flush button?

In the last 12 months building industry supported the economy; now in contraction.

http://www.news.com.au/finance/economy/australian-economy/gdp-figures-not-too-ba...

Quote:
Indeed, 60 per cent of Australia’s economy is made up of household consumption.

For households, a declining Australian dollar means that for every imported good we buy — like cars, TVs, clothing and, most importantly, Reece’s Peanut Butter Cup chocolates — we are, on average, paying more. This is particularly troublesome in the lead up to the Festival of Buying Cheap Imported Junk, also known as Christmas.
So the national income figures are, at best, a bit of a distraction. It’s a bit of goalpost moving by Treasurer Scott Morrison. For the past 25 years, every Australian government on both sides of politics has proudly declared that the true measure of the economy’s health was GDP growth.

Now that’s gone negative, Mr Morrison suddenly declares we needn’t worry too much about that and instead focus on national income growth?

Come on, Mr Morrison, we weren’t born yesterday. (Actually 821 Australians were born yesterday, but that’s beside the point).

For Australia to go into recession requires six months where the figures stay negative. That means the next lot of figures the government releases in three months also have to be terrible for Australia to be in recession.
For me, whether or not we’re heading for recession is beside the point because it’s not just the headline figure of the GDP that’s worrying. It’s what has made the GDP decline that indicates this is the government is leading us into a disastrous 2017.

The figures show that Australia is experiencing weakness in home building. It shaved 0.3 per cent off the growth figure, and the amount of investment made in building and renovating private homes went down 1.6 per cent.
In the long term, this is a completely necessary thing to happen. Besides the west coast, the rest of Australia has experienced a housing boom in the past few years, and with it, there has been a renovation boom, because people have been doing up their houses to keep pace with the perceived value of their homes.
This growth has arguably kept Australia out of recession. Note that it’s been private consumption that has done the heavy lifting.

The government, meanwhile, has shown a distinct lack of interest in doing its share of the work in keeping the economy going. In 2013 they tried to cut government spending across the board. Since then, they’ve been essentially treading water on national economic reform.

Problem is that this growth engine, funded by private spending, is spluttering out without any indication from the government that they’ve got a plan to replace it.

Listen to a long line of commentators and you’ll hear that an “infrastructure boom” is just around the corner. According to this line of thinking, these weak figures are good news because it’ll spur the government into action, and finally compel them to get serious about upgrading Australia’s infrastructure.

With great fanfare, the government recently announced it’ll invest $50 billion in infrastructure.
Which sounds great except that they intend to spend that amount over five years. And it’ll take a bit of time for the projects to get started.

In fact, the only major projects that I’m aware that they’ve announced so far are a $893.7 million for inland rail and $700 million on a couple of road projects that get the figure up to $1.5 billion.

Even if the government manages to spend the first $10 billion of the commitment in 2017, it will be a drop in the ocean. The Australian economy is a $1.5 trillion beast. Spending an extra $10 billion adds 0.007 per cent to the economy. It’s a rounding error.

If the government was serious about using infrastructure as a means to keep Australia’s economy out of recession, they’d need to start adding a zero to the end of their spending plans, and there is no sign that this government has any appetite to that sort of pump-and-prime approach.

In fact, the current government’s track record on infrastructure is uniquely woeful, and is one of the reasons Australia’s economy is spluttering to a halt now.

Under Malcolm Turnbull’s leadership, first as Communications Minister, and then as Prime Minister, Australia’s global rank in internet speed has plummeted from 30th to 60th.

The tragedy is that this is completely foreseeable and utterly preventable.
For example, they could invest big in public housing. Even though private investment is slowing, many capital cities in Australia still have a housing shortage.

The government could easily (and quickly) put its billions into affordable public housing, which would support an industry coming off the boil and solve a problem that everyone knows but no government seems to want to fix.
Mr Morrison and Mr Turnbull are great believers in leaving the economy to sort itself out on its own. They seem to think that Kevin Rudd’s swift action after the GFC happened naturally, rather than because Mr Rudd and Wayne Swan took the threat to the economy seriously.

The GDP figures this week are just as alarming as those that came out after the GFC. The difference this time is that so far, there is no indication that the government is prepared for the bold measures required to get through 2017 unscathed.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Re: Australian economy down the s-bend in 2017?
Reply #1 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 7:09pm

Said by our resident sewer wallah

IBI

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #2 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 8:16pm

Gordon wrote on Dec 10th, 2016 at 7:09pm:
Said by our resident sewer wallah

The fickle sphincter of sagacity has squeezed out a steaming brown nugget from Gordon who shouts with joy at each of his outputs.

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 8:27pm

Jobsun growth

This is what happens when you put an incompetent government in

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #4 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 8:42pm

We had Abbott and Hockey in the key economic position from 2013 - probably the worst economic team in Australias history.

They followed that with Turnbull - know nothing do nothing both hands tied behind his back still trying to get Abbotts bad policies passed Turnbull and its not my fault hide the boats tell nobody nuttin Morrison.

While the Turnbull Morrison economic do nothing team look on paper to be better than their predecessors the fact is that their performance has been no better at all.

The fact is that Abbott and smoking Joe had the boat in reverse but Turnbull and Morrison have done nothing to alter the direction the boat is travelling in.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 8:58pm

it's OK .... the adults are in charge

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #6 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 9:00pm

NSW is going well. The rest can ggf

IBI

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #7 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 9:02pm

Gordon wrote on Dec 10th, 2016 at 9:00pm:

Wrong!

Sydney has a population growth rate currently of > 3%. So if GDP is not rising by 3% economy is going backwards.

The population growth rate is disguising the troubled state of the economy.
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2016 at 9:10pm by Unforgiven »  

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #8 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 9:15pm

Gordon wrote on Dec 10th, 2016 at 9:00pm:

Poor federal policy doesnt have borders

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #9 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 9:21pm

I think this last quarter is the only receding of the economy we will have for a few years. We should be on the mend next quarter. Figure our best is yet to come.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #10 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 10:01pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Dec 10th, 2016 at 9:21pm:
I think this last quarter is the only receding of the economy we will have for a few years. We should be on the mend next quarter. Figure our best is yet to come.

There are waves of unemployment coming including the close down of the motor car industry.

Governments and utilities are shedding workers too.

IP Logged

Its time
Gold Member

Boot libs out

Reply #11 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 10:34pm

Unforgiven wrote on Dec 10th, 2016 at 10:01pm:
UnSubRocky wrote on Dec 10th, 2016 at 9:21pm:

There are waves of unemployment coming including the close down of the motor car industry.

Governments and utilities are shedding workers too.

Thank goodness the wreckers are in charge

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 11:02pm

Is the "S" bend like Paul Keating's back to back "J" Curves? The tend to look like an "S".

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #13 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 12:29am

lee wrote on Dec 10th, 2016 at 11:02pm:
Is the "S" bend like Paul Keating's back to back "J" Curves? The tend to look like an "S".

The J-curve concept works and did indeed work for Australia. It just took about 3 decades. However, the J-curve effects were then perverted by high Australian wages which led to the current economic malaise.

However, the J curve overshot in A$ foreign exchange terms and now needs the A$ down to US$ 0.50 to settle the economy back down.

Australian costs are too high and the services and manufactured goods of nearly every country are more competitive than Australian manufactured goods and services.

If the cost of shipping bricks and timber were not so high even these products would not be made in Australia.

IP Logged

red baron
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Blue Mountains
Reply #14 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 8:18am

Every week we are subjected to news of record prices for sh.tbox houses in Sydney. A million plus for a sh.tbox only good for shovelling. This has no bearing whatsoever on incomes which are so stagnant they reek.

Is it any wonder that finally a blip appeared on the radar. The economy has started to shrink.

This could easily turn into a landslide. The hidden reality is that record number of buyers are defaulting on their mortgages.

Strap yourself in 2017 will very very bumpy indeed.

Expect interest rates to begin to gallop then even more people will default then the race will be on to the bottom of the ocean.

iceberg_003.jpg (5 KB | 28 )
iceberg_003.jpg

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print