Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
If freedom of speech means anything, it means... (Read 20107 times)
Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: If freedom of speech means anything, it means...
Reply #120 - Dec 31st, 2016 at 8:37pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Dec 31st, 2016 at 7:49pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 30th, 2016 at 8:54am:
Racism still exists even if you don't think races do Gandalf.

So what is 'racism' then FD? What are the allowed parameters?

Oh, that's easy. It's when you're mean to decent white people everywhere.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #121 - Dec 31st, 2016 at 8:46pm

Belgarion wrote on Dec 7th, 2016 at 9:10am:
I agree with the OP. Freedom of speech means exactly that. There is no human right not to be offended. Any opinion can be expressed and any opinion can be challenged.

No Libel laws no contempt of court for anything that is said no charge from the police no matter what you say to them ?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #122 - Jan 1st, 2017 at 5:57pm

Welcome to the English language Gandalf. Words have meaning.

Excellent point FD. For example, 'anti-semite' is a term that is restricted to being anti-jew, even though a 'semite' refers to all people who speak a semitic language, of which jews are just one. Welcome to the English language innit

English can be very difficult for newcomers because of these inconsistencies, but I assure you that the words still have meaning despite them. Like I said, keep at it and you'll get the hang of it eventually.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #123 - Jan 2nd, 2017 at 12:44pm

freediver wrote on Jan 1st, 2017 at 5:57pm:

Welcome to the English language Gandalf. Words have meaning.

Excellent point FD. For example, 'anti-semite' is a term that is restricted to being anti-jew, even though a 'semite' refers to all people who speak a semitic language, of which jews are just one. Welcome to the English language innit

English can be very difficult for newcomers because of these inconsistencies, but I assure you that the words still have meaning despite them. Like I said, keep at it and you'll get the hang of it eventually.

Well apparently you haven't got the hang of it yet - here you seem to accept that the term "anti-semitism" can mean something different to its literal meaning, but the same thing can't happen with the term "racism". Can you explain that?

And you haven't answered the question - what is "racism" in your view ? What is allowed and what is not? Because, no offense, you seem rather confused about it all: Islamophobia is not allowed - because muslims are not a 'race' - but 'arabia for arabs' is not just racism - its blatant racism, because... err... arabs aren't a race either, but a linguistic group? You never did explain how that works. Is it because you are completely clueless about 'race' itself - thinking, for example, that there is an "Asian" race? Has it clicked yet how utterly ridiculous that is?

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #124 - Jan 2nd, 2017 at 1:51pm

Race and class are like beauty - you know it when you see it.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #125 - Jan 2nd, 2017 at 2:14pm

Frank wrote on Jan 2nd, 2017 at 1:51pm:

Okay....who is classier here?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #126 - Jan 2nd, 2017 at 2:19pm

I think thats the problem Frank - people "see" race, as in outward superficial physical features like black skin or slanty eyes - but it is in fact a categorisation that is completely arbitrary. There is actually more genetic variation within these "groups" than between them and other groups.

And then you know you're really in trouble when you get people like FD throwing in their ignorant stereotypes about the 'other' into the mix - boldly declaring somewhere as vast and genetically diverse as Asia to be reduced to the one "Asian race".

Come to think of it, it seems to me that its people insisting that humans can be categorised into "races" (whatever that means, no one wants to explain it) that is half the problem. Because its little more than a demonstration of chauvinistic ignorance based on fear and prejudice.

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #127 - Jan 2nd, 2017 at 2:19pm

Dnarever wrote on Dec 31st, 2016 at 8:46pm:
I agree with the OP. Freedom of speech means exactly that. There is no human right not to be offended. Any opinion can be expressed and any opinion can be challenged.

No Libel laws no contempt of court for anything that is said no charge from the police no matter what you say to them ?

Defamation laws protect an individual from the publication or uttering of false or misleading statements specifically about them that are designed to damage their reputation. The concept of freedom  of speech is the protection of the expression of ideas and opinions, not about deliberately damaging the reputation of an individual.

Contempt of court covers specific actions designed to prevent disruption of proceedings and to ensure compliance with court instructions. Abuse of police in the course of their duties  is in a similar category. Again, The fact that these actions are offences does not mean that the expression of an opinion in general conversation, in the media or anywhere else is prohibited.

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #128 - Jan 2nd, 2017 at 2:34pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Jan 2nd, 2017 at 2:19pm:

I think thats the problem Frank - people "see" race, as in outward superficial physical features like black skin or slanty eyes - but it is in fact a categorisation that is completely arbitrary. There is actually more genetic variation within these "groups" than between them and other groups.

And then you know you're really in trouble when you get people like FD throwing in their ignorant stereotypes about the 'other' into the mix - boldly declaring somewhere as vast and genetically diverse as Asia to be reduced to the one "Asian race".

Come to think of it, it seems to me that its people insisting that humans can be categorised into "races" (whatever that means, no one wants to explain it) that is half the problem. Because its little more than a demonstration of chauvinistic ignorance based on fear and prejudice.

The outward signs matter mostly when they signify the cultural beneath.
Slanty eyed Chinese krone, yammering loudly on her phone on the train?
Olive skinned man with massive beard, wife in a niqab, swaggering down street in a Lonsdale Tshirt?
Subcontinental woman in sari, reeking of BO and stale curry in the supermarket?
Honky dude with piggy eyes and a rat-tail, covered in tats?
Fragrant yummy mummy with adorable, well-behaved blonde kiddies at the beach?

Racial stereotypes are not baseless. You don't have a lot of blonde people reeking of stale curry or a wife in a niqab.

Race is not everything but it is not nothing either. One of the best books about Muslim is by a West Indian Indian, VS Naipaul.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #129 - Jan 2nd, 2017 at 2:47pm

Frank wrote on Jan 2nd, 2017 at 2:34pm:
Racial stereotypes are not baseless. You don't have a lot of blonde people reeking of stale curry or a wife in a niqab.

Neither curries or niqabs are races, or even define any races.

All you have pointed out is that your confused notion of "race" is redundant. All you have described in that cute little list are stereotypes of different cultures and ethnicities. There is literally no need to throw in 'race' amongst that mix.

Racists object to culture and customs. They do this by homogenising the 'other' and applying blanket negative stereotypes to them. Outward physical appearances, including biological traits are a key component to this - as you have so adeptly demonstrated yourself. It explains why I, a lilly white anglo, will never be a victim of Islamophobia (a form of racism), even though I'm a muslim.

Quote:

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #130 - Jan 2nd, 2017 at 5:43pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Jan 2nd, 2017 at 2:47pm:
Frank wrote on Jan 2nd, 2017 at 2:34pm:

Neither curries or niqabs are races, or even define any races.

All you have pointed out is that your confused notion of "race" is redundant. All you have described in that cute little list are stereotypes of different cultures and ethnicities. There is literally no need to throw in 'race' amongst that mix.

Racists object to culture and customs. They do this by homogenising the 'other' and applying blanket negative stereotypes to them. Outward physical appearances, including biological traits are a key component to this - as you have so adeptly demonstrated yourself. It explains why I, a lilly white anglo, will never be a victim of Islamophobia (a form of racism), even though I'm a muslim.

Is Zionism racism?

Race doesn't stand alone, it signifies a lot of cultural markers: outlook, values, beliefs, attitudes all adding up to group identity. People adopting group identities - Black, Muslim, Indian, European, Chinese - assume the characteristics of the group they identify with.

This is why it is incongruous to see a blonde and blue eyed 'Aborigine' or a white hijabi. It's interesting that there are not a lot of Chinese converting to Islam but it's the races that have lost the cultures within them: blacks, Aborigines, uneducated or damaged whites.

Look at Muslim stand up - racial and cultural stereotyping is the stuff of jokes because we all understand the stereotypes. And we understand them because they are based on well-observed truths.

Ethnicity is just another word for race. You put on the full Muslim paraphernalia an you will be subject to some sharp comment or lamentation about what's gone wrong with you.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #131 - Jan 2nd, 2017 at 9:17pm

I don't think Zionism is racism, dear boy, but an enigmatic question all the same.

The Jewish race see themselves as God's chosen people, but they also see themselves as exiles, as slaves.

I've only met a few racist Jews - there are two on this very site - maybe more.

What's your religion, Frank? I'm curious.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #132 - Jan 2nd, 2017 at 9:31pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Jan 2nd, 2017 at 9:17pm:
I don't think Zionism is racism, dear boy, but an enigmatic question all the same.

The Jewish race see themselves as God's chosen people, but they also see themselves as exiles, as slaves.

So - is Zionism racism?

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #133 - Jan 2nd, 2017 at 9:35pm

Belgarion wrote on Jan 2nd, 2017 at 2:19pm:
Dnarever wrote on Dec 31st, 2016 at 8:46pm:

Defamation laws protect an individual from the publication or uttering of false or misleading statements specifically about them that are designed to damage their reputation. The concept of freedom  of speech is the protection of the expression of ideas and opinions, not about deliberately damaging the reputation of an individual.

Contempt of court covers specific actions designed to prevent disruption of proceedings and to ensure compliance with court instructions. Abuse of police in the course of their duties  is in a similar category. Again, The fact that these actions are offences does not mean that the expression of an opinion in general conversation, in the media or anywhere else is prohibited.

So you correctly lay out examples that are exempt from freedom of speech.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #134 - Jan 2nd, 2017 at 9:38pm

Frank wrote on Jan 2nd, 2017 at 9:31pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Jan 2nd, 2017 at 9:17pm:

So - is Zionism racism?

No

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print