Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
AirPort Time Capsule - 2TB (Read 4252 times)
Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Re: AirPort Time Capsule - 2TB
Reply #30 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 10:25pm

Gordon wrote on Dec 9th, 2016 at 9:27pm:
Setanta wrote on Dec 9th, 2016 at 9:19pm:
President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Dec 9th, 2016 at 9:08pm:
Setanta wrote on Dec 9th, 2016 at 8:10pm:
I only use wireless for portable devices, I ran a couple of cat 6 to each room. Beats the shyte out of wireless. I do have a wireless router in one part of the house and my PC is another at the other end, both with the same SSID and password on different non overlapping channels, the wireless device can choose the best signal.

dear lord.. there is intelligent lifeforms on this forum after all.. !!!  Grin

but sure... that would be the ultimate in speed..

but a couple of things..

i don't want to be using a desktop and I'm moving to ultra light and solid state computer drives..

these don't have cable ports for cat5/6 etc..

it also doesn't address the concern of storage that people whine about on this forum...

so..

with the Airport right now I'm running 856 mbps which is super fast enough to run 99.9% of ones needs.. even if  you are gaming..

and also.. the Airport addresses storage issues away form your computer.. so it doesn't "bloat" it and keeps it running fast..

this is the plan anyways. .. to run my own iCloud...  Smiley

Sounds like you've made the right choices if you can't have wire. Gordie's look reasonable too. I wouldn't mind seeing the actual/real speed that people got.

I personally don't have any wireless devices. No phone, tablet or laptop.

Those dlink things are faster than my crap connection.
Nice thing is you can move them around as required, I even use it in the garden so I can troll while watering the hydrangeas Wink

My situation is different. My PC is the internet router. The adsl router is set to pass through, it does nothing bar transfer from ADSL to ethernet. My PC gets the internet address and is a DNS for my network both internal and external, web, mail server. My email actually gets delivered to my home! It's also internally the DHCP, fileserver and windows domain controller using Samba. It's also my game machine. It's a 2BR and sleep-out house with cat 6 everywhere. Wireless is a rarity.

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Dec 28th, 2016 at 8:44pm

i have now made a huge shift towards Apple with spending around 4.5K tonight..

we don't have a desktop anymore... i backed up all of the goodies/documents on it to the Airport..

i purchased a new printer last week which operates with the Apples to print things wirelessly..

i was pulling files out of the airport on the weekend to print from another room...

also...

i had to scan and send information to another company over the WE.. and with the new printer i could scan in all documents which turns them into pdf files and then emails the to me...  Smiley

then i can send them directly to the company...

one of the things i like with Apple, is that you can make them all sync... as in... if you have reminders etc on your phone it will sync them with your computer or vice verser...

so depending on your job and the importance of all of this.. it makes life a hell of a lot easier..

you can start an email on your phone.. get interrupted and the later on when you open your laptop.. finish the email of where you were up to...

also.. if you have the series II Apple watch... you can sync calendars etc... sync it to your txt messages.. reply to txt messages quickly without having to pick up your phone.. all message conversations are sync'd back to your phone if you want to reread them later on.. and so on...

if you have the new Apple wireless EarPods... they can seamlessly listen to music from your Mac, iPhone or watch.. if you receive an incoming phone call... you don't even need to pull out your phone... the earpods have microphones in them and you can have a conversation through the pods...

everything works wiht apple... if you have a busy schedule
and need to have all of that information with you at all times  then no matter if you have the phone, watch or laptop.. all of that info is sync'd to each other.. meetings, reminders, rosters.. Smiley

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #32 - Dec 29th, 2016 at 1:10am

Try Wellington, NZ - turn on your radio and listen to "Oh, Donna'....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Apr 25th, 2017 at 9:20am

President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 9:28pm:
ok...

so recently i've taken steps to upgrade our download levels so switched ISPs to Naked DSL..

as in.. no home phone and going from 100 gig to 500 gig download..

result?

$13 less a month...

but switching Modems found that our wireless speeds dropped..

here's what i  found..

switching back to an earlier N Modem (not that old) it had defaulted to 802.11g speed...

so after some adjustments.. i got it back running on 802.11n

the speed difference is 55 Mbps to 450Mbps but i found that i went from 54Mbps to 144Mbps..

this was a huge change and the wireless was great..  Smiley

but could it get any better?  Undecided

yes it can!!

if you have a newer computer your wireless could have an 802.11ac capable router in it already..

My Mac Air does..

i like Mac because Apples actively looks to keep your computer fast unlike Windows computers that just allows "Bloat" wear to slow down and ruin your computing experience..

but anyways.. i digress...

the other thing that will slow your computer down over time is overloading it was crap.. pictures, files, videos etc

so what to do?

i've purchased an Apple Airport wireless router with 2 Terabyte of hard drive in it..

this means that can set up my own cloud to save everything on and so can others in my family... then we can all find and use these items from one place from one computer to the next..

the Airport runs dual band signal.. 5 and 2.4 ghz....
6 aerials.. 3 for each band..

but the best part is that it runs the new 802.11ac wireless speed..

technically it can run at 1300 Mbps..

but I'm finding it'll run at between 550 to 650 Mbps..

blindingly fast from what i first started with.. its fricken great..  Smiley

FD... see above the class of wifi

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics