Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Religion: force for good or evil? (Read 7804 times)
Mistress Nicole
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Religion: force for good or evil?
Reply #75 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 5:34pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 5:13pm:
longweekend58 wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 5:00pm:
The fact that a significant majority of those that qualify for university entry are privately educated hasn't clued you in. 

This could simply mean nothing more than that the children of parents who can afford to pay the fees demanded, are mostly professionals who passed on a better set of genes to their kids - and has nothing to do with the quality of education they received at a private school.

I myself went to a very expensive private school but ended up nothing more than a factory worker.

Go figure.

Yeah but there were reasons for that, beyond your control.

Your private school education shines through the word mastery of your posts.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #76 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 5:46pm

Again

Religion is harmless until it starts to punish its followers and others for not believing in that religions god and practices.

Then it becomes a problem to be sorted out.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #77 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 5:52pm

miketrees wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 5:07pm:
The fact that a significant majority of those that qualify for university entry are privately educated hasnt clued you in.

I cant be arsed finding it but there is a study somewhere that shows once in UNI the private school leavers do not do as well as the publicly educated students.

Probably because they are like hothouse flowers put out in the cold

You might want to find proof of that bit of fiction. Repeated studies show better education and life outcomes for private school kids. Like it or not, it remains true. Or do you not understand why so many familes go without to put their kids thru private schools and so many public school parents wish they could?

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Mistress Nicole
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #78 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 5:54pm

Aussie wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 5:18pm:
Aussie wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 5:11pm:
Lord Herbert wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 5:04pm:
Mistress Nicole wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 4:58pm:
Big difference between chapel once-a-fortnight Anglican light, and Islam. They're miles apart. There should be no Islamic schools allowed in Australia.

x2

+ 5

Best thing you and Nicole Page 2016 can do for the entire Forum is get a Room and work it out.  The sycophancy is just spewish.

Blah!

Why don't you go harass a mod? It's been what? Two days now?

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #79 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 5:55pm

longweekend58 wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 5:00pm:
The fact that a significant majority of those that qualify for university entry are privately educated hasn't clued you in. 

This could simply mean nothing more than that the children of parents who can afford to pay the fees demanded, are mostly professionals who passed on a better set of genes to their kids - and has nothing to do with the quality of education they received at a private school.

I myself went to a very expensive private school but ended up nothing more than a factory worker.

Go figure.

you can put lipstick on a pig but it remains a pig. Your life failure is quite obvious and leaches out in the embarrassing rubbish of your posts.

You are the kind of idiot that private school couldnt fix. They should have sent you to the army where at least you would have learned SOMETHING if only that you are a private in a world of officers.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Mistress Nicole
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #80 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 5:56pm

The fact that a significant majority of those that qualify for university entry are privately educated hasnt clued you in.

I cant be arsed finding it but there is a study somewhere that shows once in UNI the private school leavers do not do as well as the publicly educated students.

I've read that somewhere before too Mike.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #81 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 6:08pm

Mistress Nicole wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 5:56pm:

I've read that somewhere before too Mike.

Its the internet. You can read how Michelle Obama is a man and Barack is a reptile.

Personally, I would prefer a properly done assessment of that before I gave it any credence. And it doesnt sound credible already. The idiot poster seems to think that every private school student plays polo and spends weekends a the family's weekend place on the Gold coast. The reality is the vast majority of private school kids go to low-fee schools that the parents work very hard to afford and the kids themselves are no different sociologically that public school kids - just better educated and better prepared.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #82 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 6:27pm

Mistress Nicole wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 5:54pm:
Big difference between chapel once-a-fortnight Anglican light, and Islam. They're miles apart. There should be no Islamic schools allowed in Australia.

x2

+ 5

Best thing you and Nicole Page 2016 can do for the entire Forum is get a Room and work it out.  The sycophancy is just spewish.

Blah!

Two days since what?  Your continued abuse?

IP Logged

Mistress Nicole
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #83 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 6:33pm

Aussie wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 6:27pm:
Mistress Nicole wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 5:54pm:

x2

+ 5

Blah!

Two days since what?  Your continued abuse?

Man up. It's an adult debate board. Stop being so precious

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #84 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 6:51pm

Quote:
Man up. It's an adult debate board. Stop being so precious.

Indeed it is a debate Board.....one with Rules which I am constrained by and abide with.  The instant I get a 'green card' to freely abuse people like you do,  I'll just do exactly that....abuse you back, and I have far better ammo than you will ever have 'Nicole Page 2016.'

Smiley

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #85 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 6:57pm

Mistress Nicole wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 5:34pm:
Yeah but there were reasons for that, beyond your control.

Your private school education shines through the word mastery of your posts.

Nonsense.  Kiss

IP Logged

Mistress Nicole
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #86 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 6:57pm

Aussie wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 6:51pm:
Quote:
Man up. It's an adult debate board. Stop being so precious.

Indeed it is a debate Board.....one with Rules which I am constrained by and abide with.  The instant I get a 'green card' to freely abuse people like you do,  I'll just do exactly that....abuse you back, and I have far better ammo than you will ever have 'Nicole Page 2016.'

Smiley

Go whinge to the mods like the fake lawyer, cab driving pedant you are little man.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #87 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 7:21pm

Mistress Nicole wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 5:41am:
I was raised a heathen.

I send my son to a private Anglican school. Not for the religion, but because it provides a solid education.

Personally, I am an agnostic. And I have no problem with spiritual people - those that march to the beat of their own drum that is, and don't follow a religion.

I have an American friend who was raised a Mormon. He still believes in God, but he doesn't do religion. He doesn't bash religion either - he says there are lots of people living clean lives in Utah as a result of their faith. Fair point.

But I just can't swallow religion. Ridiculous things written in ridiculous old books by ridiculous old men. I don't think God has endorsed Donald Trump, and I sure as poo don't think some sky pixie is looking after me. But if there is a real God, he would have let my atheist grandfather into heaven. Of that I am sure.

In your view, is religion a force for good or evil? I urr on the side of evil.

If there is a God, I suspect She's mighty pissed off at what's been done in her name.

This is like asking whether ideology is good, or politics, or schooling. Whether a teacher does good work depends on what he teaches.

Check out Aussie's Jacycees thread and tell me whether you think that is a force for good.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #88 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 7:28pm

Yadda wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 4:28pm:
John Smith wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 4:20pm:
Yadda wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 4:15pm:
Or through the use of 'philosophy' and political argument.   

no, I'll stick to [blaming] religion .

John_Smith,

You [and those like you] live in, and experience, such a small 'universe', imo.

And that is your choice.

if that helps you to explain away anyone who disagrees with your world view, then you go for it old boy. I'm sure it'll help you to sleep better.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #89 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 7:32pm

freediver wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 7:21pm:
Mistress Nicole wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 5:41am:
I was raised a heathen.

I send my son to a private Anglican school. Not for the religion, but because it provides a solid education.

Personally, I am an agnostic. And I have no problem with spiritual people - those that march to the beat of their own drum that is, and don't follow a religion.

I have an American friend who was raised a Mormon. He still believes in God, but he doesn't do religion. He doesn't bash religion either - he says there are lots of people living clean lives in Utah as a result of their faith. Fair point.

But I just can't swallow religion. Ridiculous things written in ridiculous old books by ridiculous old men. I don't think God has endorsed Donald Trump, and I sure as poo don't think some sky pixie is looking after me. But if there is a real God, he would have let my atheist grandfather into heaven. Of that I am sure.

In your view, is religion a force for good or evil? I urr on the side of evil.

If there is a God, I suspect She's mighty pissed off at what's been done in her name.

This is like asking whether ideology is good, or politics, or schooling. Whether a teacher does good work depends on what he teaches.

Check out Aussie's Jacycees thread and tell me whether you think that is a force for good.

Oh, she did FD, and came up with this bewdie!

Quote:
I used to be a brain surgeon in my more naive days. But I changed career to the Coles checkout and I've never looked back. I'm even thinking about starting a new thread : a check out chicks day.

Grin Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11
Send Topic Print