Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 11
Send Topic Print
Religion: force for good or evil? (Read 7893 times)
Mistress Nicole
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Religion: force for good or evil?
Dec 5th, 2016 at 5:41am

I was raised a heathen.

I send my son to a private Anglican school. Not for the religion, but because it provides a solid education.

Personally, I am an agnostic. And I have no problem with spiritual people - those that march to the beat of their own drum that is, and don't follow a religion.

I have an American friend who was raised a Mormon. He still believes in God, but he doesn't do religion. He doesn't bash religion either - he says there are lots of people living clean lives in Utah as a result of their faith. Fair point.

But I just can't swallow religion. Ridiculous things written in ridiculous old books by ridiculous old men. I don't think God has endorsed Donald Trump, and I sure as poo don't think some sky pixie is looking after me. But if there is a real God, he would have let my atheist grandfather into heaven. Of that I am sure.

In your view, is religion a force for good or evil? I urr on the side of evil.

If there is a God, I suspect She's mighty pissed off at what's been done in her name.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Re: Religion: force for good or evil?
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 6:28am

Mistress Nicole wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 5:41am:
I was raised a heathen.

I send my son to a private Anglican school. Not for the religion, but because it provides a solid education.

Personally, I am an agnostic. And I have no problem with spiritual people - those that march to the beat of their own drum that is, and don't follow a religion.

I have an American friend who was raised a Mormon. He still believes in God, but he doesn't do religion. He doesn't bash religion either - he says there are lots of people living clean lives in Utah as a result of their faith. Fair point.

But is it a 'fair point'?

How many of them would be living 'clean lives' without 'The Lorrrrd'? Look at Maid Marla - clean living, no potty-mouth, respectful of her elders and betters, politically neutral, a real charmer ... and not a religious bone to her youthful body.

But I just can't swallow religion. Ridiculous things written in ridiculous old books by ridiculous old men.

Take it easy on the 'old men' bit.

I don't think God has endorsed Donald Trump, and I sure as poo don't think some sky pixie is looking after me. But if there is a real God, he would have let my atheist grandfather into heaven. Of that I am sure.

If there is a God, I suspect She's mighty pissed off at what's been done in her name.

Heavy stuff.

'Is religion a force for good or evil?' is a vexed question. It's like getting 10 psychiatrists together to give an analysis of a patient - with them not only giving different answers, but in every case getting it wrong. (It was a very interesting and revealing documentary series from the UK that was very quickly cut short because it was embarrassing the psychiatric profession).

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 6:34am

I was raised a heathen.

But I just can't swallow religion. Ridiculous things written in ridiculous old books by ridiculous old men. I don't think God has endorsed Donald Trump, and I sure as poo don't think some sky pixie is looking after me. But if there is a real God, he would have let my atheist grandfather into heaven. Of that I am sure.

Religion does not mean God, it means way of life. For example: I am religious about my Bloody Mary on Sunday morning.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 6:48am

I am sure there are three answers and I'm sure that one of them will be insisted upon by it's proponents as the only one that should be held and the only one that should be taught to the young.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 7:41am

It all depends on how one approaches it.

For some religion is a crucial part in their lives, they look to God to help them get by.

For others it is a security blanket that they use to try and hide their fears and insecurities.

Some use it as a mask to hide behind and

Some use it to excuse abhorrent behavior.

I am a believer, but I also believe that God does not truly want us to devote our lives to an intangible, but to live well, just and honestly, treat people fairly and with love.

It is said, All things in moderation this includes religion.
Sure believe, and be honest in your belief, but do not be obsessive.

Above all, we must remember that ALL holy books be it the Bible, Koran or Tora were all written by MEN.

Men who are imperfect and prone to misunderstanding, and above all, caught in a time and place where things differ greatly from today.

These books have some truth in them (God influence) but are also open to interpretation.
We should live our lives as our morals dictate, that little voice in our heads (Gods) that reminds us. "That's not right."

If we follow this simple rule, the world would be a better, nicer place.

Peace to all and Merry Xmas

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 7:56am

Valkie wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 7:41am:
I am a believer, but I also believe that God does not truly want us to devote our lives to an intangible, but to live well, just and honestly, treat people fairly and with love.

tsk  Roll Eyes Dear o dear ...

How does this stack up to a 'god' that creates a planet in which life for gazillions of creatures over billions of years - and which have pain-sensitive receptors and an ability to feel gut-wrenching terror - survive by hunting down other life-forms for the purpose of terrorising, killing and eating them, or being their victims?

A planet in which all the creatures are vegetarians : okay, no moral problem there, but a planet that is red in tooth and claw' and for eons has had the air rent with the screams of terror, pain, and death by gazillions of life forms - is no god of mine, but a rank arsehole in anybody's terms.

If god was on trial in a People's Court for crimes against humanity and the mistreatment of animals over the past gazillion years, he'd need a damned good defence counsel to be saved from a slow death instead of a quick one.

« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2016 at 8:06am by Lord Herbert »  

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #6 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 8:02am

Lord Herbert wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 7:56am:
Valkie wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 7:41am:

tsk  Roll Eyes Dear o dear ...

How does this stack up to a 'god' that creates a planet in which life for gazillions of creatures over billions of years - and which have pain-sensitive receptors and an ability to feel gut-wrenching terror - survive by hunting down other life-forms for the purpose of terrorising, killing and eating them, or being their victims?

A planet in which all the creatures are vegetarians : okay, no moral problem there, but a planet that is red in tooth and claw' and for eons has had the air rent with the screams of terror, pain, and death by gazillions of life forms - is no god of mine, but a rank arsehole in anybody's terms.

It is your right to believe or not as you wish.

Religion, as long as it causes no one any harm, is a good thing for many many people.

If you had read and understood the teachings, which I will not bother explaining, (pearls before swine).
and no Im not calling you a swine.
But mankind was given free will, as a result we suffer the consequences of this free will.
Pain, suffering etc.

Merry Christmas

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 8:03am

Ironically you may have answered your own question...

Ask yourself (and post back) What is it about the religious school that you believe provides your son a solid education over that which can be provided by a secular one?

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 8:22am

Valkie wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 8:02am:
If you had read and understood the teachings, which I will not bother explaining, (pearls before swine).

and no Im not calling you a swine.

Grin Grin Grin (Thanks for the after-thought!) .. and of course not. It never entered my mind that you were calling me a swine who didn't know his pearls from his plastic fakes.

But mankind was given free will,

"groan*
I wish you hadn't said that. Needless the say the 'Free Will' mantra is god's 'Get out of Jail Free' card for 4.5 billion years of Hell on Earth. 

Merry Christmas

Thank you, Valkie, and a sincere "Merry Christmas" to you too. 

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #9 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 8:26am

issuevoter said,
Quote:

Religion does not mean God, it means way of life.

Is 'our' religion good or evil ?

To answer that, we merely need to ask another question;

What is     inside     our own heart ?    !!!!!!!

Yadda said....
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1304541795/126#126
Quote:

We ourselves, are the 'gatekeepers' of our hearts.

We choose which spirits we allow [invite] into our hearts.

And nobody [and no spirit] can compel us, to join with those spirits.

And no spirit can compel us to do what is evil.

No body compels us, to choose the evil.

Proverbs 14:34
Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.

Psalms 51:7
Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
8  Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice.
9  Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities.
10  Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
11  Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.
12  Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 8:29am

I was raised a heathen.

Education for the masses came from the Church
Social welfare was begun and still heavily supported by the Church
Our system of law and democracy is found on the Bible
Slavery was ended by the church (over the opposition of many)
Child prostitution was ended by the church (over the opposition of many)
Freedom is a Christian principle.

Take a look around all the rich and free countries around the world. They have one thing in common - a Christian heritage.

And the reason you sent your kid to an Anglican private school is because.... where are the secular private schools?

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #11 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 8:31am

I think neither, the problem isn't religion, its the people following it. Some are fantastic loving people, and some aren't.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #12 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 8:44am

Yadda wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 8:26am:

Is 'our' religion good or evil ?

To answer that, we merely need to ask another question;

What is     inside     our own heart ?    !!!!!!!

Yadda said....
http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1304541795/123#123
Quote:

Demons are real.

They are spirits.

And they [many 10's or even 100's] can have an influence over us, especially if we 'open' ourselves to them, if we 'open' ourselves to their 'persuasions'.

I believe that mostly, God [initially at least] protects us from the influence of demons, in this 'reality'.

And i believe that God will actively [spiritually] protect us from the influence of demons, whenever we directly ask him to, and if we are also actively trying to shun, to resist [what is] evil [around us].

But i also believe that God will 'abandon' those souls, who actively seek [or actively choose] those influences which are un-Godly, and he will abandon those souls who [themselves] abandon all discernment between good and evil.

God does not want to lose any soul, not one, to the demonic.

But he will not 'compel' people, to abandon those evil [spiritual] influences [which they choose].

We choose.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 8:51am

longweekend58 wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 8:29am:
Education for the masses came from the Church
Social welfare was begun and still heavily supported by the Church
Our system of law and democracy is found on the Bible
Slavery was ended by the church (over the opposition of many)
Child prostitution was ended by the church (over the opposition of many)
Freedom is a Christian principle.

Take a look around all the rich and free countries around the world. They have one thing in common - a Christian heritage.

And the reason you sent your kid to an Anglican private school is because.... where are the secular private schools?

(Lady Nicole - see my reply elsewhere to these extravagant and highly delusional assertions by Longy. I'm not calling his post 'Junk Mail' of course, any more than Valkie thinks I'm a swine who doesn't know his pearls ...  Roll Eyes )

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #14 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 8:56am

No one can explain what they mean by God, so they fall back on such bogus concepts as Faith. Trying to sell your particular religion, is a sure sign that you need verification from others, and are looking for safety in numbers. Both of which you try to sell for the good of the unconverted.

The number of people who fall for this stuff, is a perfect example of why there is no hope for humanity. Add to that the population explosion, over exploitation of resources, and environmental degradation and you will need more than prayer to save your sorry ass.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 11
Send Topic Print