Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clever country? Should we just teach excavation? (Read 237 times)
Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Clever country? Should we just teach excavation?
Dec 3rd, 2016 at 2:56pm

The Australian management is too clever by half.

The clever country never got real clever and now the future is digging holes in the ground and servicing each other. Is there any point to education in Australia other than excavation skills and service industry skills?

Even Australian cricket players and rugby union players are not real clever at this time.

If Australia increases intake of Asian migrants, they might just drag the closet poms up with them.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-38178763

Quote:
Poor Australia education ranking prompts soul-searching

Could results be improved with more time aiming at an A than a goal?
In the 1980s, Australia started calling itself "the clever country". Not just a lucky place blessed by minerals, climate and farmland, but a place of innovation and inventiveness, all backed by a sparkling education system.
But an international schools study released this week has fuelled fears that after years of neglect and ill-conceived strategy, the country is steaming towards an education crisis, which could leave future Australians lagging behind the rest of the world.

The quadrennial Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS) shows Australia's ranking in these subjects has tumbled since 1995, to sit below countries like Kazakhstan, Cyprus and Slovenia.
The study, of Year Four and Year Eight students, shows that since the 2011 TIMSS, Australia has dropped from 12th to 17th for both Year Eight maths and science, and from 18th to 28th for Year Four maths. Its rank in Year Four science was unchanged at 25th. TIMSS studied Year Eights from 39 countries, and Year Fours from 49 nations.
Kazakhstan, with a per capita GDP one fifth of Australia's, ranked well below Australia in 2011, but is now between eighth and 12th in the four categories.

The tests in science and maths were taken by more than 600,000 young people
The study, not the first to show educational declines here, has sparked alarm, with many calling it a result of Australians not taking education seriously enough. Federal Education Minister Simon Birmingham called the results disappointing, while still managing to make a joke of it.

"I don't want to denigrate Kazakhstan, or indeed their artistic skills with movies like Borat," he said, referring to Sacha Baron Cohen's comedy about a fictional reporter from the country.

"I think, though, Australia should be seeking to be amongst the best in the world and declines like this are unacceptable, and that we need to be working hard to turn it around."

The blame game
Critics say the apparent dumbing-down is Australian society's own making, that too much emphasis on pursuits such as sport, and an outdoorsy culture, has long compromised the regard for academic endeavours like science and maths. Since the Australian of the Year award began in 1960, five have been scientists, while 14 have come from sport.
Others blame teachers, while others blame governments for not adequately paying teachers. More, however, blame governments and educationists for policies they say have had predictable results.

Singapore tops global education rankings

In 2001, Australia's most populous state, New South Wales, dropped the requirement for students to study maths or science to graduate from senior high school. Three others among the eight states and territories mirrored that step, while the rest require very minimal study of the two subjects compared with other countries.
"What message does that send to students?" Rachel Wilson, senior lecturer in educational assessment and evaluation at the University of Sydney, told the BBC.

"It's a reflection of Australia not valuing these skills. There's evidence that a lot of students now drop out of maths and science as soon as they can, and that's frightening, because those skills are fundamental in the modern world. Unfortunately in Australia there seems to be a lot of resistance to the realities of the new world."

Singapore got the best results in maths and science in primary and secondary school
In a recent co-authored report Dr Wilson said the number of students studying no maths for high school graduation in NSW had trebled since 2001. Before then, more than 98% of high school graduates studied some sort of maths. By 2014, the rate had fallen to 90.7% for boys, and only 78.6% for girls. Though less dramatic, there were also declines in science participation, such as in physics - 24% to 17%.

In a knock-on effect, roughly 40% of maths classes in Australia from Years Seven to Ten were now taught without a qualified maths teacher, Dr Wilson said. Also, university entrance scores to study teaching remained among the lowest.
"England introduced teacher standards tests in 1998 that all teachers had to pass in their first year," she said. "Australia has only started doing that now, and it's still set the bar pretty low." ...

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Clever country? Should we just teach excavation?
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 3:02pm

If we could just fit you fat head in one of those excavations, fill it back in.

We would have indeed ridded ourselves of one more faeces throwing monkey.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 3:08pm

miketrees wrote on Dec 3rd, 2016 at 3:02pm:
If we could just fit you fat head in one of those excavations, fill it back in.

We would have indeed ridded ourselves of one more faeces throwing monkey.

It sticks nicely to Miketrees and improves his appearance and odor.

Miketrees swallowed too many ugly pills today.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 3:32pm

Posted by our resident clever c...

IBI

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 4:10pm

The Housos tv series should be required - IN CLASS - watching for all Australian school children.

It will educate all Australian school children, on what other Australians expect them to learn, and how other Australians expect them to behave as 'pwoper' well educated Aussies.

Like training for monthly raves, and where to buy ecstasy, and how to find the best life-long friends at end of school leavers party's.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #5 - Dec 4th, 2016 at 12:26pm

Australia not real clever currently. Perhaps Rugby 101 should be made a compulsory subject for all sportsmen.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/38168341

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print