Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Nonsense about the Bible giving us our freedoms (Read 4318 times)
Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Re: Nonsense about the Bible giving us our freedoms
Reply #30 - Dec 2nd, 2016 at 12:57pm

Yadda wrote on Dec 2nd, 2016 at 11:50am:
Raven wrote on Dec 2nd, 2016 at 1:36am:

Yet your book deems this acceptable.

Where is the morality in that?

According to the bible:

Eating pork (Leviticus 11:7)
Eating shellfish (Leviticus 11:9-12)
Homosexuality (Leviticus 18:22)
Wearing clothes of mixed fabrics (Leviticus 19:19)
Shaving (Leviticus 19:27)

Are all wrong and a sin. However:

Slavery (Exodus 21:7)
Rape (Deuteronomy 22:28-29)
Child abuse (Proverbs 22:15)
Child murder (2 Samuel 12:14)

Are all perfectly fine and natural.

Raven,

I could respond to that.

But you are simply too IMMORAL to understand that if you freely enter into a covenant with another person,         and if you agree to the conditions [and understand the penalties for breaking those conditions], then you do need to try to honour your agreement/covenant.

But i understand, that you cannot see why anyone should expect such respect and honour FROM YOURSELF, TO THEM......

.....because you are simply too IMMORAL to understand what morality     m e a n s.

Dictionary;
morality = = principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behaviour.

No you can't respond to that because you know your position is flawed.

Raven knows what morality means, he also knows that those who enter this covenant and agree to those conditions are themselves immoral.

Dictionary;
morality = = principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behaviour.

Why is it wrong to pick up a stick on a Sunday?

Why is it wrong for a women to not be a virgin bride?

Why is it right to force a woman to marry her rapist?

You are an immoral creature Yadda, because you think this is acceptable. Your belief that it is more immoral to break the condition of your covenant ignores the fact that the covenant itself is immoral

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #31 - Dec 2nd, 2016 at 1:02pm

Setanta wrote on Dec 2nd, 2016 at 11:45am:
Yadda wrote on Dec 2nd, 2016 at 11:32am:
Setanta wrote on Dec 2nd, 2016 at 1:37am:
Yadda wrote on Dec 2nd, 2016 at 12:38am:
The matter of the 200 foreskins, was a private covenant between Saul and David.

Is that not barbaric?

How many foreskins is a daughter worth?

Why,       why,        oh why!       is Australia SO, SO FULL, of such ignorant, uninformed people ?

ANSWER;
It is because they HATE their creator.

Setanta,

If you had actually read the scripture that Raven referred to,
         you would have understood that Saul told David to get the foreskins of the Philistines, as an impediment to David marrying his [Saul's] daughter.

Saul DID NOT WANT David to be able to marry his daughter

Saul wanted David to die, trying to fulfill the particular requirement that Saul set for David.

And Setanta, i might say,          that if you wanted to marry my daughter, i'd be requiring you to get 1,000 foreskins of the Philistines.
......coz i would NOT want my daughter to marry someone as THICK as you,        nor anyone as IMMORAL as Raven [the person who feels that the conditions of a covenant with another person has no worth, and could be discarded].
n.b. when two people marry, they too make a covenant [they make PROMISES], to their marriage partner.     e.g. that they will remain sexually faithful to each other.  it is called FIDELITY in a relationship.

1 Samuel 18:20
And Michal Saul's daughter loved David: and they told Saul, and the thing pleased him.
21  And Saul said, I will give him her, that she may be a snare to him, and that the hand of the Philistines may be against him. Wherefore Saul said to David, Thou shalt this day be my son in law in the one of the twain.
22  And Saul commanded his servants, saying, Commune with David secretly, and say, Behold, the king hath delight in thee, and all his servants love thee: now therefore be the king's son in law.
23  And Saul's servants spake those words in the ears of David. And David said, Seemeth it to you a light thing to be a king's son in law, seeing that I am a poor man, and lightly esteemed?
24  And the servants of Saul told him, saying, On this manner spake David.
25  And Saul said, Thus shall ye say to David, The king desireth not any dowry, but an hundred foreskins of the Philistines, to be avenged of the king's enemies. But Saul thought to make David fall by the hand of the Philistines.

Perhaps David should have just raped her and paid Saul a few shekels.

It's biblical morality at work

Saul: I don't want you to marry my daughter but instead of just saying no I want you to go out and mutilate hundreds of men.

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #32 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 8:30am

Lord Herbert wrote on Dec 1st, 2016 at 8:40am:
"The report warns that society is forgetting "that its many freedoms derive from centuries of applying the Bible to public life".

That's a bare-faced lie and should not go unchallenged.

It was the church that resisted all attempts to modernise society and to liberate it from the shackles of religious dictatorship.

All our current freedoms were hard-fought against a church that had a vested interest in keeping people ignorant, afraid, and bonded to religious dogma.

link

Sounds like your problem is with the church, not the Bible. Would you mind pointing to the Biblical passage that is relevant to 'religious dictatorship'?

Why do you think it is that it was the Christian 'religious dictatorships' that produced the new wave of liberal democracy that is currently spreading around the world?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #33 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 12:55am

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Dec 2nd, 2016 at 11:53am:
Not really answering anything with that one Yadda./

It's how he operates.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 8:27am

Lord Herbert wrote on Dec 1st, 2016 at 8:40am:
"The report warns that society is forgetting "that its many freedoms derive from centuries of applying the Bible to public life".

That's a bare-faced lie and should not go unchallenged.

It was the church that resisted all attempts to modernise society and to liberate it from the shackles of religious dictatorship.

All our current freedoms were hard-fought against a church that had a vested interest in keeping people ignorant, afraid, and bonded to religious dogma.

link

You are ignorant of SO many things. This is just another example. IN fact the truth is the direct opposite of what you said - as it so often is.

Education for the masses came from the Church
Social welfare was begun and still heavily supported by the Church
Our system of law and democracy is found on the Bible
Slavery was ended by the church (over the opposition of many)
Child prostitution was ended by the church (over the opposition of many)
Freedom is a Christian principle.

Take a look around all the rich and free countries around the world. They ahve one thing in common - a Christian heritage.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #35 - Dec 5th, 2016 at 7:16pm

I believe the church was also largely responsible for the eradication of infanticide in the old Roman Empire. The church also lead the way in the eradication of slavery.

I always find it ironic that those who are most eager to blame the church for all our woes also tend to be the first to try to enable Islam to maintain or bring back slavery, theocracy etc.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 5:02pm

freediver wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 7:16pm:
I believe the church was also largely responsible for the eradication of infanticide in the old Roman Empire. The church also lead the way in the eradication of slavery.

I always find it ironic that those who are most eager to blame the church for all our woes also tend to be the first to try to enable Islam to maintain or bring back slavery, theocracy etc.

Its part of the internet-society where people find a site or worse, blog and pretend that the contents are peer-reviewed and copied from Encyclopedia Brittanica. Therefore they can happily accept any nonsense because the ability to be cynical or critical of content is a dying art. So it is indeed easy to believe the Church is responsible for all the ills in the world because Blog.evilchurch.com says so.

The socalled 'information superhighway' as the internet was referred to in the 1990s has become the 'misininformation highway' instead.

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Dec 18th, 2016 at 3:43pm

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print