Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Nonsense about the Bible giving us our freedoms (Read 4254 times)
Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Nonsense about the Bible giving us our freedoms
Dec 1st, 2016 at 8:40am

"The report warns that society is forgetting "that its many freedoms derive from centuries of applying the Bible to public life".

That's a bare-faced lie and should not go unchallenged.

It was the church that resisted all attempts to modernise society and to liberate it from the shackles of religious dictatorship.

All our current freedoms were hard-fought against a church that had a vested interest in keeping people ignorant, afraid, and bonded to religious dogma.

link

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Re: Nonsense about the Bible giving us our freedoms
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 5:04pm

The also say that without the bible we would have no morality.

So ladies and gentlemen let's play The Bible Morality Test

Question 1

According to the bible which of these scenarios are NOT punishable by death?

A) Picking up sticks on a Sunday
B) Raping a woman
C) Making fun of bald priest
D) Not being a virgin bride

If you picked B congratulations, you know your bible. If you picked anything else you are more moral than it

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 5:15pm

Well I reckon the Bible is a big bucket of puss and shitt.

If this was a Muslim country and I said that about the Koran, would it be advisable to use a good proxy server?

IBI

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 5:21pm

Gordon wrote on Dec 1st, 2016 at 5:15pm:

If this was a Muslim country and I said that about the Koran, would it be advisable to use a good proxy server?

Well yes, you would certainly want to be anonymous.  Despite what the apologists say criticising or ridiculing the cultists book or Mo can be deadly.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 5:24pm

Secret Wars wrote on Dec 1st, 2016 at 5:21pm:

Well yes, you would certainly want to be anonymous.  Despite what the apologists say criticising or ridiculing the cultists book or Mo can be deadly.

I don't remember anyone ever saying it couldn't be deadly.

Do you have a link, perhaps?

If not, it will naturally be assumed that you are nothing more than an ignorant, lying Islamophobe.

The choice is all yours.

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 5:28pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Dec 1st, 2016 at 5:24pm:

If not, it will naturally be assumed that you are nothing more than an ignorant, lying Islamophobe.

The choice is all yours.

I am surprised you are aware of the potentially deadly consequences.  Explains your submission.   Smiley

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #6 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 5:29pm

Maybe I'll email that Dr Philip Nitschke bloke, tell him to get his patients to chuck on a Mo t-shirt and go to Lakemba Mosque during Friday prayers. No nembutal required.

IBI

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 5:30pm

Secret Wars wrote on Dec 1st, 2016 at 5:28pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Dec 1st, 2016 at 5:24pm:

The choice is all yours.

I am surprised you are aware of the potentially deadly consequences.

So, you admit you lied?

Glad we cleared that up.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #8 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 6:47pm

Raven wrote on Dec 1st, 2016 at 5:04pm:

Question 1

B) Raping a woman

If you picked B congratulations, you know your bible. If you picked anything else you are more moral than it

Raven,

You are mistaken.

Yes, that punishment [death, for being a covenant breaker] is in the O.T.

But that punishment applied
only
to those who had willingly entered into a holy covenant,     with their God, the God who brought the ancient Israelite's out of Egypt.

Leviticus 18:24
Defile not ye yourselves in any of these things: for in all these the nations are defiled which I cast out before you:
25  And the land is defiled: therefore I do visit the iniquity thereof upon it, and the land itself vomiteth out her inhabitants.
26  Ye shall therefore keep my statutes and my judgments, and shall not commit any of these abominations; neither any of your own nation, nor any stranger that sojourneth among you:
27  (For all these abominations have the men of the land done, which were before you, and the land is defiled;)
28  That the land spue not you out also, when ye defile it, as it spued out the nations that were before you.
29  For whosoever shall commit any of these abominations, even the souls that commit them shall be cut off from among their people.
30  Therefore shall ye keep mine ordinance, that ye commit not any one of these abominable customs, which were committed before you, and that ye defile not yourselves therein: I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 20:24
...I am the LORD your God, which have separated you from other people.

Leviticus 20:26
And ye shall be holy unto me: for I the LORD am holy, and have severed you from other people, that ye should be mine.

Deuteronomy 7:6
For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth.

Exodus 19:5
Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:
6  And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.
7  And Moses came and called for the elders of the people, and laid before their faces all these words which the LORD commanded him.
8  And all the people answered together, and said, All that the LORD hath spoken we will do. And Moses returned the words of the people unto the LORD.

The ancient Hebrews were A COVENANT PEOPLE.

They had entered into a solemn covenant with their God.

[n.b.
There was nothing to stop any Hebrew from leaving his own people, if he/she did not want to live according to the covenant that his people had entered into, with God.

Any Hebrew could leave his people, and go and live 'in the world', among the Gentiles.

Thereby, becoming a Gentile !

But if the Hebrew person remained living among God's people, and blatantly and intentionally, broke the covenant with God [that he was constrained by], that Hebrew person understood, that he was risking LAWFUL execution, according to the terms of the covenant, with God.]

Raven,

If you had read your bible,          ....you would know that you are an ignorant, slandering, git.

You should say sorry.          ....to God, in your heart.

Psalms 1:1
Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #9 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 6:54pm

......but such information [my previous post] is of little interest to persons who routinely break their covenants with others.

God is sifting men.

God is clever.

Men are dumb.

Dictionary;
sift = =
1  put (a dry substance) through a sieve so as to remove lumps or large particles.
2  cause to flow or pass as through a sieve.
3  descend lightly or sparsely as if having passed through a sieve.
examine thoroughly so as to isolate that which is important or useful.

We are lost in this wilderness, which is this world, this reality.

No ?

You do not think so ?

Deuteronomy 8:2
And thou shalt remember all the way which the LORD thy God led thee these forty years in the wilderness, to humble thee, and to prove thee, to know what was in thine heart, whether thou wouldest keep his commandments, or no.

« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2016 at 7:07pm by Yadda »  

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #10 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 9:15pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Dec 1st, 2016 at 8:40am:
"The report warns that society is forgetting "that its many freedoms derive from centuries of applying the Bible to public life".

It was the church that resisted all attempts to modernise society and to liberate it from the shackles of religious dictatorship.

All our current freedoms were hard-fought against a church that had a vested interest in keeping people ignorant, afraid, and bonded to religious dogma.

link

Well, to begin with, God Freaks have been saying similar things for a long time. What they have never been able to do is quantify this wonderful effect their beliefs have had. Two world wars have been fought by Christian nations without any compunction. So that kind of negates what Jesus may have said.
If you look at the way Muzlims treat each other, the same is true. They are massacring each other at every opportunity. So even if you think one of the Abrahmic religions is the correct interpretation of reality and the universe, the fact remains that when it comes to Peace on Earth, they are miserable failures.

That being said, anyone parachuting to earth will probably be better treated in Christian of Jewish territory, than in Muzlim.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #11 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 9:24pm

Yadda wrote on Dec 1st, 2016 at 6:47pm:
Raven wrote on Dec 1st, 2016 at 5:04pm:

Question 1

B) Raping a woman

Raven,

You are mistaken.

Yes, that punishment [death, for being a covenant breaker] is in the O.T.

But that punishment applied
only
to those who had willingly entered into a holy covenant,     with their God, the God who brought the ancient Israelite's out of Egypt.

Raven,

If you had read your bible,          ....you would know that you are an ignorant, slandering, git.

You should say sorry.          ....to God, in your heart.

Raven isn't talking about covenants he was talking about morality.

You and other cafeteria Christians want us to live by god's word and his morality. So Raven has a question for you

How is it moral to execute people who have committed no crime while at the same time force a woman to marry the man who raped her? A man she can never divorce.

If a book equates a woman's worth to that of 200 foreskins (1 Samuel 18:27) it is both profane and repulsive.

It's not ignorance or slander, its written in black and white and Raven will not apologise to an imaginary being who works in inefficient and breathtakingly cruel ways

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 9:30pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Dec 1st, 2016 at 8:40am:

link

Every challenge and improvement to the Church was made on religious grounds.

Human rights, equality before the law, universal human dignity - these are ideas rooted in the Bible and nowhere else. That the Church was not up on them for a long time is no refutation of the truth of the facts of the matter.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 9:33pm

Raven.....I have learned that lesson.  The 'Old Testament' can  be safely ignored as not the Word of God, the instant the good old entrance of Jesus made a mockery of it......apparently.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #14 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 10:32pm

Aussie wrote on Dec 1st, 2016 at 9:33pm:
Raven.....I have learned that lesson.  The 'Old Testament' can  be safely ignored as not the Word of God, the instant the good old entrance of Jesus made a mockery of it......apparently.

We'll what does Raven know. He was raised in a cult. Every week on the day of the sun god Ra Raven had to kneel before an ancient device of torture and ritualistically consume symbolic flesh and blood.

The worst part was Saint Mary's Cathedral had no air con and it gets bloody hot in Darwin

The problem with cafeteria Christians is that they pick and choose which doctrine to follow.

There is no such thing as a Christian

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print