Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Send Topic Print
be heard on 18c and freedom of speech (Read 79167 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: be heard on 18c and freedom of speech
Reply #90 - Dec 4th, 2016 at 8:17am

Quote:
How many times must I do that for you freediver?   I have agreed with that.

You have hinted at it once so far, then avoided it. So you actually agree that he was jailed for "refusing to cease denying" the holocaust, but describe as a "blatant lie of the most scurrilous kind" my description that he was jailed for denying the holocaust, then produce evidence that supports my interpretation without making the distinction you do.

Is that why you spent so long avoiding going into any detail Aussie?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #91 - Dec 4th, 2016 at 8:38am

freediver wrote on Dec 4th, 2016 at 8:17am:
Quote:

You have hinted at it once so far, then avoided it. So you actually agree that he was jailed for "refusing to cease denying" the holocaust, but describe as a "blatant lie of the most scurrilous kind" my description that he was jailed for denying the holocaust, then produce evidence that supports my interpretation without making the distinction you do.

Is that why you spent so long avoiding going into any detail Aussie?

There you go yet again with deceptive language.  He was jailed for Contempt of Court.  His contempt was defiance of a Court Order.  The Court Order was that he cease distributing holocaust denial material.  He then distributed that material.  Ergo, he was not jailed for denying the holocaust.

How hard is that to understand?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #92 - Dec 4th, 2016 at 8:47am

Why is it deceptive Aussie? Evidence that you produced made the same conclusion.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #93 - Dec 4th, 2016 at 3:41pm

freediver wrote on Dec 4th, 2016 at 8:47am:
Why is it deceptive Aussie? Evidence that you produced made the same conclusion.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #94 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 1:01pm

freediver wrote on Dec 3rd, 2016 at 8:38pm:
Thanks for the question Aussie. Please quote me saying it the first time round, then I will tell you whether I "still" assert it.

Or, you could just keep things simple by sticking to what i actually say. Have you found the quote button yet?

I've found it FD.

Here's what you actually say:

Quote:
I could only sue you for defamation if I could demonstrate you cost me money

Do you stand by it?

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #95 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 5:57pm

Sure. Has anyone suggested an alternative means of arriving at damages?

Gandalf, do you agree that Toben was jailed for denying the holocaust, or do you take the learned Aussie's view that he was jailed for not refraining from denying the holocaust (and anything else is a blatant lie of the most scurrilous kind)

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #96 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 6:11pm

freediver wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 5:57pm:

Gandalf, do you agree that Toben was jailed for denying the holocaust, or do you take the learned Aussie's view that he was jailed for Contempt of Court by defying a Court Order not refraining from denying the holocaust (and anything else is a blatant lie of the most scurrilous kind)

I've corrected the question so that I am not verballed, and to make it accurate in terms of what I said, and not what FD wishes I had said.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #97 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 7:10pm

Aussie wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 6:11pm:

Gandalf, do you agree that Toben was jailed for denying the holocaust, or do you take the learned Aussie's view that he was jailed for Contempt of Court by defying a Court Order not refraining from denying the holocaust (and anything else is a blatant lie of the most scurrilous kind)

I've corrected the question so that I am not verballed, and to make it accurate in terms of what I said, and not what FD wishes I had said.

Your own words Aussie:

Aussie wrote on Dec 2nd, 2016 at 7:51pm:
Finally...after how many pages, you get it correct:

Quote:
So he was not jailed for denying the holocaust. He was jailed for not ceasing to deny the holocaust?

....as he was ordered to do by the Court.

Your own words again Aussie:

Aussie wrote on Dec 3rd, 2016 at 8:58pm:
freediver wrote on Dec 3rd, 2016 at 8:50pm:
Can you clarify that when you accused me of lying about whether the man was jailed for denying the holocaust (without explanation) you merely meant that he was jailed for refusing to cease denying the holocaust?

The evidence you introduced Aussie:

Aussie wrote on Nov 27th, 2016 at 12:58pm:
Pausing there, it follows from the above that there is no room for dispute that Dr Toben has spent time in prison in Australia for criminal contempt constituted by the publication of material found to have racially vilified the Jewish people and which conveyed imputations including that there was serious doubt that the Holocaust occurred.

After agreeing with all this, do you still insist it is a "blatant lie of the most scurrilous kind" to suggest he was jailed for denying the holocaust?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #98 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 7:15pm

Quote:
After agreeing with all this, do you still insist it is a "blatant lie of the most scurrilous kind" to suggest he was jailed for denying the holocaust?

Yes.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #99 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 7:19pm

Please provide the relevant legislation from any jurisdiction in Australia that shows a financial loss must be incurred in order to bring a suit of defamation against someone

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #100 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 8:26pm

Are you trying to say that you know I am wrong but you don't know what the right answer is?

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #101 - Dec 6th, 2016 at 10:12pm

freediver wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 8:26pm:
Are you trying to say that you know I am wrong but you don't know what the right answer is?

Yes Raven does know the answer, he'll show you his if you show him yours.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #102 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 6:49am

Yes - Raven has explained it to you several times.

Could you explain to me how Joe Hockey demonstrated financial loss in his win in the 'treasurer for sale' headline? I mean thats the only way he could have won right?

Quote:
Gandalf, do you agree that Toben was jailed for denying the holocaust...?

Yes FD - I was the one who explained that to you remember? I'm glad you understand this now since in our previous discussion you were far less sure:

freediver wrote on Oct 8th, 2014 at 1:11pm:
While I acknowledge that Toben was punished, it is unclear to me exactly what for.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #103 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 12:15pm

Aussie wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 7:15pm:
Quote:

Yes.

Do you always find it this easy to promote two contradictory positions at the same time? Is this why you kept promising to run away from this discussion and not return?

Quote:

So far none of Raven's 'explanations' contradict my own view, or provide any detail at all. Saying you can get compensated for loss of reputation does not contradict saying you can get compensated for the lost income associated with loss of reputation.

No alternatives have been put forward. You, Raven and Aussie have come up with nothing more than "you are wrong, but we can't say what the right answer is".

Quote:
Could you explain to me how Joe Hockey demonstrated financial loss in his win in the 'treasurer for sale' headline?

No.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #104 - Dec 7th, 2016 at 12:46pm

freediver wrote on Dec 7th, 2016 at 12:15pm:
Aussie wrote on Dec 6th, 2016 at 7:15pm:
Quote:

Yes.

Do you always find it this easy to promote two contradictory positions at the same time? Is this why you kept promising to run away from this discussion and not return?

Quote:

So far none of Raven's 'explanations' contradict my own view, or provide any detail at all. Saying you can get compensated for loss of reputation does not contradict saying you can get compensated for the lost income associated with loss of reputation.

No alternatives have been put forward. You, Raven and Aussie have come up with nothing more than "you are wrong, but we can't say what the right answer is".

Quote:
Could you explain to me how Joe Hockey demonstrated financial loss in his win in the 'treasurer for sale' headline?

No.

Incorrect.  All you have to do is read my Posts with both eyes open.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Send Topic Print