Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: RIP Mr Castro
Reply #135 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 8:11am

The Day Fidel Castro Came To Rotherham
2016-11-27
Castro in the back room of The Grapes in 1955

The death of former Cuban president Fidel Castro this week, brought back memories of happier times for 90 year old Dalton man Arthur Cox.

Arthur was landlord of The Grapes pub in Dalton in the 1950’s, and remembers a young Fidel Castro  booking into the pub on a bed and breakfast basis. He says that Castro was visiting the area on a totally undocumented  trip to study worker-management relations in the local coal industry for an early political project. Arthur recalls that Castro came into the bar most evenings where he smoked  fat cigars, drank mild and played a mean game of ‘arrars.’  “His English was pretty good,” recalled Arthur, ” which is just as well because my Cuban’s rubbish.”

“There was never any mention of revolution, communism or the overthrow of capitalism” said Arthur “ so all of that came as a bit of a surprise. He just wanted to talk about  football, women, and why the Yorkshire board didn’t have a treble ring.”

Arthur is very specific about when Castro paid his visit to The Grapes. It was the week of June 7th 1955 he said. “I know that because it was a few days before  Elvis Presley walked in on spec looking for board and lodgings. He didn’t have enough money and so did 20 minutes in the tap side to pay for a steak and kidney pie. He were crap and walked off to the sound of his own footsteps, but you don’t forget something like that.”

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #136 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 8:13am

IBI

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #137 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 8:45am

Brian Ross wrote on Dec 1st, 2016 at 8:04pm:
*SIGH*, if I had a dollar for each time I've been accused of being a "Communist", I'd be a millionaire.   I've never been one nor have ever professed to being one, old man.   Nor am I a Muslim.  I have no religion, I am an agnostic.  Your insults are really very silly, you realise?    Roll Eyes

You are just a squishy, spineless apologist for the widest spectrum of repressive, oppressive, anti-human ideologies - from communism to Islam.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #138 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 3:40pm

Frank wrote on Dec 3rd, 2016 at 8:45am:
Brian Ross wrote on Dec 1st, 2016 at 8:04pm:
*SIGH*, if I had a dollar for each time I've been accused of being a "Communist", I'd be a millionaire.   I've never been one nor have ever professed to being one, old man.   Nor am I a Muslim.  I have no religion, I am an agnostic.  Your insults are really very silly, you realise?    Roll Eyes

You are just a squishy, spineless apologist for the widest spectrum of repressive, oppressive, anti-human ideologies - from communism to Islam.

You do like using ad hominem insults, don't you, Frank?  All they indicate is that you cannot argue the issues.  You're like a little schoolboy who has been thrown out of the big kids' playground by the big kids.   Don't you think it's time you grew up?    Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #139 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 3:43pm

Frank wrote on Dec 3rd, 2016 at 8:11am:
2016-11-27
http://www.rotherhambugle.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Castro.jpg

The death of former Cuban president Fidel Castro this week, brought back memories of happier times for 90 year old Dalton man Arthur Cox.

Arthur was landlord of The Grapes pub in Dalton in the 1950’s, and remembers a young Fidel Castro  booking into the pub on a bed and breakfast basis. He says that Castro was visiting the area on a totally undocumented  trip to study worker-management relations in the local coal industry for an early political project. Arthur recalls that Castro came into the bar most evenings where he smoked  fat cigars, drank mild and played a mean game of ‘arrars.’  “His English was pretty good,” recalled Arthur, ” which is just as well because my Cuban’s rubbish.”

“There was never any mention of revolution, communism or the overthrow of capitalism” said Arthur “ so all of that came as a bit of a surprise. He just wanted to talk about  football, women, and why the Yorkshire board didn’t have a treble ring.”

Arthur is very specific about when Castro paid his visit to The Grapes. It was the week of June 7th 1955 he said. “I know that because it was a few days before  Elvis Presley walked in on spec looking for board and lodgings. He didn’t have enough money and so did 20 minutes in the tap side to pay for a steak and kidney pie. He were crap and walked off to the sound of his own footsteps, but you don’t forget something like that.”

Tsk, tsk, Frank.  Quoting the Rotherham Bugle without acknowledgement?  The website which:

Quote:
We decided to launch The Rotherham Bugle after identifying a fundamental problem with other news based media covering  the South Yorkshire area – they are restricted by a requirement that they stick to reporting on things that actually happened. And here’s the problem with that –  what actually happened tends to be boring.

And so from the very start, we made an editorial decision to give facts a back seat. Yes, you may find a grain of truth hidden away somewhere, but it’s more by accident than design. If you do find something that’s true, don’t judge us too harshly. Anyone can make mistakes.

Our primary focus is on stuff that  we’d have liked to happen, had a story taken a more interesting turn. They’re the sort of things that might occur to you in the bath, on the bog or while sitting in your car waiting for the sodding lights to change at Whiston Crossroads.  Any similarity between the style and content of our stories and those featured in mainstream media, is purely intentional.

[Source]

Grin Grin

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #140 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 5:41pm

What's the proper counter-argument in response to a squishy bedwetting ninny like you who pretends to yawn when the hard facts are pointed out to him?

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #141 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 5:42pm

and the link is there with the pic, you snivelling ninny.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #142 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 5:43pm

Brian Ross wrote on Dec 3rd, 2016 at 3:43pm:
Frank wrote on Dec 3rd, 2016 at 8:11am:
2016-11-27
[url]
http://www.rotherhambugle.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Castro.jpg
[/url]

Tsk, tsk, Frank.  Quoting the Rotherham Bugle without acknowledgement?  The website which:

Quote:
We decided to launch The Rotherham Bugle after identifying a fundamental problem with other news based media covering  the South Yorkshire area – they are restricted by a requirement that they stick to reporting on things that actually happened. And here’s the problem with that –  what actually happened tends to be boring.

And so from the very start, we made an editorial decision to give facts a back seat. Yes, you may find a grain of truth hidden away somewhere, but it’s more by accident than design. If you do find something that’s true, don’t judge us too harshly. Anyone can make mistakes.

Our primary focus is on stuff that  we’d have liked to happen, had a story taken a more interesting turn. They’re the sort of things that might occur to you in the bath, on the bog or while sitting in your car waiting for the sodding lights to change at Whiston Crossroads.  Any similarity between the style and content of our stories and those featured in mainstream media, is purely intentional.

[Source]

Grin Grin

You silly, snivelling git.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #143 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 6:13pm

Frank wrote on Dec 3rd, 2016 at 5:41pm:
What's the proper counter-argument in response to a squishy bedwetting ninny like you who pretends to yawn when the hard facts are pointed out to him?

As I keep pointing out, Frank, your "facts" are simply one view of a complex situation - a situation a great deal more complex than you're willing to acknowledge.  No one is perfect, no one is completely innocent in real life.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #144 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 6:14pm

Frank wrote on Dec 3rd, 2016 at 5:42pm:
and the link is there with the pic, you snivelling ninny.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print